xisto Community
Ronel

The Problem With Vista's Parental Controls

The point is that at least there is some form of parental controls compatible with Mozilla Firefox. And if Mac has parental controls, then integrate it with them also. I couldn't find any effective 3rd party parental controls for Firefox anyways.

I didn't knew there would be another kind as Vista's parental controls.Sure, no parental controls are perfect, but it would be useful for a custom restriction of websites, but still, google?Some joke, why would google REALLY be regarded as restricted?

A good way to get around the time restrictions is just to go into BIOS settings, via motherboard boot screen, and just change the system's time.

Anything else doesn't really work, besides a lengthy and annoying reformat, or a different OS boot cd (linux, etc.)

parental controlThe Problem With Vista's Parental Controls

I feel sooo stupid.  I was playing around with the Parental Controls on my Windows Vista.  I put in a password but I was really super sleepy and was falling asleep at the computer.  the next day I could NOT remember the password, no matter how hard I tried.

I feel so stupid because I was just playing around and I don't even have any kids or anything.  Now it won't let me go into Web Shots and I really like getting those, sometimes every single day.

Can you help me to get around that stupid Parental Control password?  Pretty please??

-question by juniorspunky

Windows Parental Control be Gone...The Problem With Vista's Parental Controls

Folks, one clean way of simply disabling that function is that most people didn't bother thinking of looking at it from a "service" point of view, as in the "Administrative Tools"-"Services" point of view:-)   If you're not the administrator of the computer in question though, tough luck.  </p><p>Simply go to "Administrative Tools"-"Services"  then find "Windows Live Parental Control". Right-click on it and go to "Properties" and at the section "Startup Type" --choose "Disabled".  Next go to the tab above named "Recovery"  and for all three levels, choose "Take no Action" and voila!  </p><p>You may also find in the list of services one that's called simply "Parental Control". Simply do the same thing all over.  Once you'll restart your computer, when your startup programs will be loading after your initial Windows Vista login, you will see an error message saying you may not be able to access Internet.  BUT YOU ACTUALLY CAN :-) because the service has not only been disabled, but it also has been set as "TAKE NO ACTION", so Windows can't interfere.</p><p>How did I find this out! Well, although I am a control Freak as to what services I want active/inactive in my computer (it DOES have drawbacks sometimes being a control freak, but it also has Benefits! Hehe!) I just thought of it by a fluke random thought actually by double-checking which services were active and found out what I wrote just here. And if you can live with the fact that there will be an error message at the startup (which I consider more like a scare tactic than anything else), you can kiss Parental control goodbye and say "I am in control of my computer", (and with Austin Power's voice) groovy baby, oh yeeeaaaaah! :-)</ 

-reply by Icetea