xisto Community
Halo

Fifa 08

I have FIFA 08 for my new pc and how wonderfull it is I can say!!! Heres my review of what I have found so far playing it for an ingame season and lots of two player games.Ok there is not much new in the game at all, the transfers are all up to date bar a few mistakes of late transferring players.The new things I have found are the "Be a Pro" mode in which you control one player of your choice in the gameplay.Its a bit odd at first but once you get used to it its really good fun, I picked a lowly 16 yr old striker for my game and got him a full time 4 year contract at Manchester United ;) Other new things are more tricks in the gameplay, you can juggle the ball a bit better now when running fast at a defender, do faster step overs and fakes, and the one I really like involves a lot of joypad twiddling to get it but a 360 then a chip up then volley!You can choose which player you control better now and you can move the joypad in the direction of other players to select them faster now.You can take control of the goalkeeper at all times now, not just at pens, goals kicks, now you can rush the striker and dive at his feet, rush out and do a high jump, or do directional saves.Also in the corners you can run out and try to punch or catch the ball, once you have a good technique at this it gets unbeatable!Replays are handeled better and go back further and are much more realistic on a good graphics card.The AI in the cpu teams is much much better that before, takes a while to learn the new patterns they play in, also a cpu player when pressed hard by a fast attack will do really realistic moves to just kick the ball out for a throw or corner just incase you beat him.The AI keepers are a great leap forward and are a real pain to beat at times, some games i lash 20 shots at goal and get 16 saved ;( and one goal.One mad thing I noticed when beating Chelsea 2-1 and Chelsea got a corner at 90 mins, Petr Chech came running out of his goal and almost scored a diving header past my own keeper!! was soo shocking the first time it happened, the second time it happ I scored from an amazing two pass counter attack and ran the ball into the net at the other end with the opposing keeper not making it to the half way line ;) The defending and tacking seems to have changed a bit also, now the sliding tackles seem to work better and you are not frightened to try them more often, in FIFA07 the ref used to yellow card or red card you to many times for doing this!!The conservative tackle and jostle works faster and smoother now, you can really chase players down and jostle them from the side and win the ball clean - add a clever turn and backheel then step over and the player is eating your dust as you plough on.One thing they changed I have not got used to or like is the automatic through ball and cross controls, you have to change it deep in the controls menu if you want to cross and through ball like in FIFA07, for some reason I cannot get on with this auto button, all the time the cross goes for a goal kick or miles away from where I want it to go, it seems wrong to me so I carry on with it the way it used to be.Another new thing is the ability to plan the training of the squad in the office calender, you can focus training on specific points of the team and specific points of the gameplay.I have got a few players to level up doing this but at the same time made the whole team so tired and had trouble playing the next two games cos the players were to fatuiged;(Still no way of spending the XP you gain on each game where you want to spend it though ;( I would like all my strikers to have really hard shots power and finishing, but its a lottery where the skills get spent.I have not tried it online yet so I cannot tell you how it plays online, but 07 didnt work to well imho online and I really dont think thats its going to change in 08.I have had a few LAN games and they were great fun esp when two of you control the strikers on a team against a AI side on pro level, you can really work clever little plays with each other and do tricks around the defenders and goal keeper.All in all not many visual changes to menu systems and the look and feel of the game, but under the hood the gameplay has changed quite a bit.But is it a totally different engine and game like a lot of us thought ? NO! Its 07 on steroids is what is, I dont know if its value for money, but hey my son and me will play this a lot for a while, then in the summer dream of FIFA 09 and wait and hope...Or we see what Pro Evolution Soccer looks like on its current realease.....the last version was pretty damm good, I loved it but my son hated it, so in our house FIFA won but as gameplay goes Pro Evo must win overall against FIFA07 but I dont think it beats FIFA08.

Mark how would you compare it to older games, for someone who say is not much into those kinds of sporting games.I don't mind soccer at all, but haven't like many games that have come out, I can't remember the last Fifa I played, but it was around a year or so ago I think.

Hi,Quite a handful of reviews. So I think it would be alright to post something here. Anyone knows where can I get to do all the dribbling and faking ingame? The keys to press for each fake? I had hard time getting the ball pass those COM players ;) Thanks in advance..

@Chesso - I think FIFA08 is not much a step forward over a game you played a year ago ;( for some reason EA seem to be behind upgrading thier core 3d engine, i was sure it was due to for an overhaul in FIFA08 and feel a bit cheated its all the same.The only difference is the way the players move - they have used a lot more players in the "motion" capture for the 3d engine, moves look a lot more fluid these days and more indivudual not just the same for each player.Gameplay hasnt really changed unless you are a good FIFA player in the first place to be able to get the best out of the new tricks etc.@kelvinmaki you really have to be playing this game on a joypad - we use the logitech rumblepads2, they are the best on the market that we have tried to play with.If you leave it on default key mappings the tricks are all on the right hand analogue stick.They are tricky to execute and also tricky to do the trick you are looking for!! sometimes a try a step over to find im doing a backheel or trying a 360.For instance the 360 is rolling the joypad in a circle starting from the top, a fast fake lane change is just left-right on thepad.The best thing to do is just practise using the practise mode and turn off CPU players so you alone out there then you can practise the tricks withoutgetting tackled all the time.

That's a pity, but more fluid movement is certainly welcome.So a game pad would be best for these games, I have one but it's just a cheapy PSX imitation for the PC (2 joysticks, L1/L2, R1/R2, 4 round buttons, d-pad, start, select etc).

@kelvinmaki you really have to be playing this game on a joypad - we use the logitech rumblepads2, they are the best on the market that we have tried to play with.If you leave it on default key mappings the tricks are all on the right hand analogue stick.
They are tricky to execute and also tricky to do the trick you are looking for!! sometimes a try a step over to find im doing a backheel or trying a 360.
For instance the 360 is rolling the joypad in a circle starting from the top, a fast fake lane change is just left-right on thepad.

The best thing to do is just practise using the practise mode and turn off CPU players so you alone out there then you can practise the tricks withoutgetting tackled all the time.

Hmm.. I don't think I can plug in a joypad to my PSP. There's already a joypad I think... Anyway tried the practise mode and did some fake, left right, 1 - 2 passing.. but still lost when playing with CPU.. ;) ..WTF
Edited by kelvinmaki (see edit history)