xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dserban

Tera-discs To Blow Away Blu-ray And Hd-dvd?

The HD-DVD and Blu-Ray haven't kicked in yet and here comes new storage. Long time will pass by till we start using 1TB.But what about performance issues? 200 layers will drive the laser-head crazy.

1TB discs are pretty damn scary. Bear in mind that my current hard drive on my laptop is 60GB, and you're starting to talk about some serious storage. What gets me is the idea of quantum computing making even all of that look obsolete. For those who don't know, quantum computing is basically the idea of, instead of having 1s and 0s, having pretty much any number stored per qubit (quantum bit) you like. The only restriciton is the sensitivity of the reading equipment, plus a load of other complicated stuff that A Level physics doesn't let me even come close to understanding. :blink:

For those who are interested, check Wikipedia for a whole stack of mind boggling ideas.

Personally I think Blu-ray and HD-DVD are DOA. For content we are going to downloadable content. Whether that is on-damand via cable/sat. Tivo, or Itunes makes no different, people are starting to come around to the idea of downloading and watching a show when they want. I think this is how most people will go before the next gen optical discs have a chance to catch on. For computers, I still iPod/iPhone devices with large amounts of flash or micro harddrives being the next widely used format for transfering large files. Still there aren't any consumer grade HD-DVD burners and the ablities of Sony's Blu-ray burner is limited due to lack of software. There are applications where 1TB discs will be useful, but I think we are generally moving away from physical media.

That's crazy, 1T on a disk! My hard drive is only 40 gigs Lol. But do we honestly need that much space on a disk? If they were to release movies on that format, they would be wasting so much space anyways, might as well put it on blu-ray or hd-dvd. And I wonder how much these crazy things would cost. And the burners would cost a fortune.

Wow I Never Knew That There Was Tera-Disc's! This Will Come In Very Use Because When People Do A Norton Ghost Image Of Their HDD, They Can Simply Burn It To This Disc. As I Never Really Seen A 1TB HDD. Highest I've Ever Seen Was 750GB. I Wonder Which Console Is Going To Be Using These Disc's. Although There May Be Some Bugs/Glitches In This Disc As They Had With Blu-Ray. I Think Nintendo Is Going To Be Taking These Disc's To The Next Level. In Like 5 Years From Now! :blink: I'll Try And Get One Of These Disc's Plus The Burner When It Comes Out!

Edited by Steven9088 (see edit history)

Just what we all need...yet another High Definition DVD format, yet another piece of equipment to buy to watch a damned movie...

Pretty much, yeah. I still love the idea of all of these HD ready TVs on sale, when currently they make no difference at all. Then, once HD discs come out we'll have about 2 years of use out of them before something new (the tera-disc, perhaps) absolutely dominates the market, meaning we have to buy yet another little gadget. :blink:

Well I am guessing it will be a number of years before we see anything like this come into use....But keep in mind...the more we keep cramming onto all of these discs the more and more fragile that they become....Just think, a lot more data is in a lot smaller space, meaning one little tiny scratch that used to not cause too much trouble will all of a sudden be like a Gigabyte of data gone....So I am not so optimistic about storage such as this for a while, unless they have some way of protecting it from scratches...like enclosed in cases or something...

I still like having my movies on a disc since I can pop it into any system that can read the disc and play my movie or video. It's also easier to burn it to the medium and send home videos from point A to point B instead of pushing the data from one end of the world to another through the Internet, which may take hours if the movies are huge with the HD cameras.Plus, the 200 layers will cause the laser to wear and tear faster than our current discs. I would rather them using a finer blue-violet laser and less layers than this disc technology. For now, I rather stick to HD-DVD for movie and once there are affordable writers for HD-DVD, my home made movies (HD perhaps once I buy an HD camera).xboxrulz

For me it all depends on how cheap they eventually become. I could use a terabyte of storage, no problem. I've got more than that in hard drive space, and i'm thinking of another 500GB external which would free up some space on my desktop -- can't even defrag anymore. But i would be leery of storing so much on it. at least with 5 hard drives i'm only apt to lose a few hundred gigs at most if something fails. If i happen to sit on that terabyte disk, or anything happens, I'd be out for the long haul. So if i were to use them, i would make 2, if not 3, copies of everything. For me now, nothing except regular dvds is an option, and even those i'm paying through the nose for... about $0.50 a dvd. If i were to use DL dvds, the price per dvd goes to $10. And for lightscribe, close to $15. So as long as there's this insane price gap, i'll stick with the lower end dvds, even if it means a few more kilos to lug around, thank you.

Well at the rate i collect stuff --- mostly documentaries, and movies and other stuff. I add roughly 4 GB per day to my archives, so that doesn't leave much room to grow with the current formats. Like i said, I use regular dvds, and a duplicate sits on hard disk, but if i ever were to move, it would probably weigh a lot more than i expect. :blink: