xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
lemonz

Blood Moon ! See it here Finishing Soom

Huh what is blood moon ?

August 28, 2007 12:00am

But forget high-powered telescopes. A dark spot and roof tops will give some of the best views of tonight's Blood Moon eclipse.

Or, if you like, watch it live online with The Discovery Channel by clicking here.

On August 28 at 5:52 pm Singapore / Hong Kong time (09:52:22 UT), a total lunar eclipse will occur when the Sun, Earth and Moon align. This is a rare occurrence as the Moon usually passes above or below the imaginary line connecting Earth and the Sun.

During the eclipse, also known as the Blood Moon eclipse, the full Moon will take on a dark red colour as it will be illuminated slightly by sunlight passing through the Earth’s atmosphere. The moon will be in its deepest red for about 30-45 minutes. This is the first central total eclipse since 2000.

The Discovery Channel will be featuring a live video stream of the Blood Moon lunar eclipse on its Southeast Asia, Taiwan, and Australia / New Zealand sites, from 5:30-8:30 pm (Sin/HK time) on August 28.

To watch the live video stream of the eclipse, interested viewers will need to log on to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/. Windows Media Player must be installed on the computer to watch the live stream.

The digital video coverage will be from three Australian Observatories:

- Springbrook in Queensland

- Talbot Observatory in Victoria

- Southern Cross in Tasmania

The site will also feature three introductory clips describing the science of the event. While watching the eclipse, visitors to the site will be able to participate in a live chat (in English) with Andre Clayden from Springbrook Research Observatory in Queensland, from 6:00-7:00 pm (Sin/HK time).

In addition, an animated screensaver of the eclipse and video downloads will be made available after the event.

All phases of the eclipse will be visible from islands of the Pacific Ocean, New Zealand and eastern Australia. Various stages of the eclipse are in progress at moonrise for eastern Asia. The penumbral phase of the eclipse begins at about 3.53 pm Sin/HK (07:54 UT), but most observers will not be able to visually detect the shadow until about 4.30 pm Sin/HK (08:30 UT).

Penumbral Eclipse begins: 3:53 pm Sin/HK (07:53:39 UT)

Partial Eclipse begins:4:51 pm Sin/HK (08:51:16 UT)

Total Eclipse begins:5:52 pm Sin/HK (09:52:22 UT)

Greatest Eclipse:6:37 pm Sin/HK (10:37:22 UT)

Total Eclipse ends:7:22 pm Sin/HK (11:22:24 UT)

Partial Eclipse ends:8:23 pm Sin/HK (12:23:30 UT)

Penumbral Eclipse ends: 9:21 pm Sin/HK (13:21:01 UT)

All of North America will witness some portion of the eclipse, but western observers are favoured. The early penumbral or umbral phases will be in progress at moonset for observers in Maritime Canada. From the eastern USA, the Great Lakes region and Ontario, the Moon sets in total eclipse. Only observers to the west of the Rockies, including Alaska, will be treated to the entire event.

See IT NOW ~ HERES THE L33T LINK - http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by lemonz (see edit history)

I live in California/United States and stayed up all night to watch this occurrence. I made up a special playlist for my mp3 player,

brewed some coffee and took a walk to a nice dark area over by the airport. I sat/laid on some grass, listened to music and drank

my coffee while enjoying the eclipse. There was one other group of people out to see it, but they didn't stay out long. I didn't

leave until a little while after totality when the moon began to peek out of the shadows on the other side, then headed home.

I attached my best photo, but my camera battery died very early into the eclipse, so this is all I could get. I charged the battery up,

but it looks like I need a new battery. On the bright side, the picture came out quite clear. Any moon picture before tonight taken with

this camera has turned out to be a blurry blob. Oh there were also plenty of shooting stars. Some were glowing orange as they

burned up. I don't think I have ever seen so many stars in Los Angeles before. Here is my picture, but the blood red color wasn't

very apparent at this stage (then my camera died). What a beautiful and relaxing night it was!

Posted Image

Edited by foolakadugie (see edit history)

Being in Australia I got a great view of the 'blood moon' though it wasn't really red, it was more of an orange colour! Still it was great to see

Can you show a photo of Blood Moon? You mean the red moon? I remember I have seen the red moon before!! It looks really strange and scary when you are walking on the grass alone in the dark night.I guess that's just because of much water gas in the air. Humm... Just like the red sun in the morning and evening! Only the red light can go through the air and into our eyes. So the moon seems to be red.