xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dserban

Large Hard Drives

Would you buy a one terabyte hard drive?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That looks impressive, but what in the world would you do with all that space?I mean I have trouble using up the 100GB that I have right now....I suppose though if you are using it for video editing (tried doing that and had issues with hard drive space), then maybe it'll come in handy....But I would wait a long time for the price to come down on those things....and honestly even so I would probably be perfectly fine with a much smaller hard drive for a while yet, seeing as my 100GB has been sufficient, and still is sufficient...so 10x that storage probably won't be necessary for me for a little while yet.

ive seen 1 terabyte hard drives in catalogues alot lately, usually for around $500 (australian dollars)i would never actually buy one though, not because of the price, that doesnt bother me cos i can afford it, but the fact that its so much space! i would never use it, not even a quarter of it!i just thought of one nice idea for one though, partitioning it into like 10 100 gigabyte partitions and like putting different linux distros or something on them :blink: but i dont reckon id bother.

I voted to wait until the price drops, but then a 1TB disk would be a very attractive option for me. Right now, here in Pakistan, the best price vs size drive you can buy is 500GB. after that, you can find 750GB models, but you pay insanely high prices for them. i think the 750 is around $260 vs the 500GB price of $130. 1TB drives are still mostly unheard of. But with 4 hard drives in my computer and a total of 800GB space (300+200+160+160) I've filled up a good three quarters of it. Doing a lot of graphics and video work, and storing the files. Then I finally shelled out and bought a 500GB external WD drive for my collection of documentaries, but filled it up and realized i still had another 200GB to go, and at the rate I download/record them, about 2GB per day, it won't be long before I'll have filled up another 500GB, and then i'll be stuck. That's without the movies I originally planned to back up as well... so when those terabyte drives come down to my price range, I'll be putting in an order for at least two. I'd have to RAID them, because I'm not about to gamble on losing a whole terabyte of stuff.

Well I might be tempted to buy one, but with prices as they I be better off getting the 500 or 750gb hard drives and just combine them, the problem is that I would have no use for all that space useless I set them up just to be file backup and nothing more. I know movie downloader's will enjoy all that space because they would have about 1600+ movies on one hard drive I don't think they will have to go to another movie ever again. However, I think these big hard drives would be better suited for large networks that store a lot of files and what not; home use would be impractical unless of course you plan on doing doing file sharing of the illegal kind.

Now using this for a reference

¡ 1 Bit = Binary Digit¡ 8 Bits = 1 Byte
¡ 1000 Bytes = 1 Kilobyte
¡ 1000 Kilobytes = 1 Megabyte
¡ 1000 Megabytes = 1 Gigabyte
¡ 1000 Gigabytes = 1 Terabyte
¡ 1000 Terabytes = 1 Petabyte
¡ 1000 Petabytes = 1 Exabyte -
¡ 1000 Exabytes = 1 Zettabyte
¡ 1000 Zettabyte = 1 Yottabyte
¡ 1000 Yottabyte = 1 Brontobyte

would most people agree that 3-4 Brontobyte hard drives could store everything on the internet, after going through and delete all the dead, useless, and copy cat websites? I believe the internet as a whole is in the thousands of tera-terabytes (1000x10^12x10^12). and so the question would come out would it be more practical or more convenient?