xisto Community
PhilosophiX

Must Have Gadgets That Don't Exist Yet what are your favorite speculations from fiction

Right now, we've already got some pretty awesome gadgets. Think about it. A laptop is half the size of my math textbook, but it can store so many documents, pictures, videos, etc. Same with MP3 players (a little matchbox sized thing that can store hundreds of tracks), cell phones, and PDAs.But what would be cooler than that (besides the already-mentioned teleportation device, which would mean I'd never get stuck in those horrible rush-hour traffic jams on Toronto highways) is to have maybe a small, flat square that could project a holographic computer. Basically, it'd be something like a laptop, but as a holographic projection. The keyboard would also be a holographic projection, or maybe there'd be a version where it can read your mind so that you won't even have to type instructions or whatever you want to write in an email. Since it's all projected from a little piece of metal (one inch by one inch?), it'd be very portable. You could probably even wear it like a watch. Now that would be awesome. ^^Serena

Right now, we've already got some pretty awesome gadgets. Think about it. A laptop is half the size of my math textbook, but it can store so many documents, pictures, videos, etc. Same with MP3 players (a little matchbox sized thing that can store hundreds of tracks), cell phones, and PDAs.
But what would be cooler than that (besides the already-mentioned teleportation device, which would mean I'd never get stuck in those horrible rush-hour traffic jams on Toronto highways) is to have maybe a small, flat square that could project a holographic computer. Basically, it'd be something like a laptop, but as a holographic projection. The keyboard would also be a holographic projection, or maybe there'd be a version where it can read your mind so that you won't even have to type instructions or whatever you want to write in an email. Since it's all projected from a little piece of metal (one inch by one inch?), it'd be very portable. You could probably even wear it like a watch. Now that would be awesome. ^^

Serena

omfg. that would be so totaly freeken awesome! now I want one. you should invent it and give me one.
Edited by baby bear (see edit history)

I would like to have a stress detector interacting with me. It should be able to tell me "keep cool, Man ! Your stress threreshold has been exhausted. You should not answer this question, just smile and make a joke in order to release the pressure. Else you will start being angry, and all your shakras will get closed".This would be nice. You could keep working without being exposed to the danger coming with too much stress, and ou would take benefits of the experience of skilled people in such situations, where a small behaviour change could completely remove the danger brought by some situations, at office ot at home.
Yes, this would be nice. Prevention instead of curation, avoiding danger by simple surfing around the pontentially dangerous situations.

Hey that's a good one. You need to patent that quick... hehehe
Especially in this modern world of ours.

Well. personally I would want to have something like a teleportation device, due to it takes a lot of time if you ever count how much you travel from destination A to B, with a car it can get very slow on traffic jams, a bus, trolleybus and trams sometimes is even much faster, but it isn't as comfortable, rather use a bike :D Anyway, I would really want to have a teleportation device, you need to go to the shop, just teleport yourself, to the university, just push the button and everywhere you want, to job, to see your friends, currently this seems really impossible, but theoretically it is possible.. Eventually, if speaking about current technology, I would like a little helicopter :blink: to fly everywhere around in the city and even outside it :o

That's a good idea. The problem with being split into a stream of bits is that what you are really doing is disintegrating the person and rebuilding them. So say a person called Bob, steps into a teleporter, the person who comes out on the other side is technically 'Copy of Bob'. If Copy of Bob, happens to go back in the same teleporter for the return trip, then Copy 2 of Bob comes out the other side. The original Bob, no longer exists - he was obliterated by the Teleportation Process. Of course Copy 3 of Bob, will have all Bob's memories, and will believe himself to be Bob. But you can easily highlight the problem with this theoretical excercise: Tom gets into the Teleporter in france, and it malfunctions, Copy of Tom gets out at Atlanta, unaware that another Copy of Tom is still in France, because the machine sensed that there was an error, reconstituted Tom in France assuming that he wouldn't reach his destination at all. But the information did reach there anyway. But now, because there was an error and the bits that were Tom got out. Technically the original Tom no longer exists, and now there are two Copies of him in existance. Which one is him? Both have all his memories and believe they are him, which should be allowed to remain with his family? Obviously it would be very hard for a family to deal with there being two Toms.

Other than that, teleporters would be brilliant; for sending goods of course. Wormholes are less problematic, there is continuity for the organism, it is not destroyed and rebuilt during a trip through a wormhole (just moving through hyperspace).

what would be totaly awsome is sunglasses that are a sell phone type thing where you can see the person that you are talking to. wouldn't that be so awesome.
and also another good invention would have to be the a cell phone that changes colors. so if your wearing a sertain outfit that was only one color like white, but your cell phone was black or something (bam) you push a button and you phone changes colors to white to mach your outfit. I would spend a lot of mney on that cell phone because I'm always running into that problem. seriously. if someone makes stat i will by it. wouldn't you??

That's also a brilliant idea. You should patent that asap. Fashion matching phones.

Right now, we've already got some pretty awesome gadgets. Think about it. A laptop is half the size of my math textbook, but it can store so many documents, pictures, videos, etc. Same with MP3 players (a little matchbox sized thing that can store hundreds of tracks), cell phones, and PDAs.
But what would be cooler than that (besides the already-mentioned teleportation device, which would mean I'd never get stuck in those horrible rush-hour traffic jams on Toronto highways) is to have maybe a small, flat square that could project a holographic computer. Basically, it'd be something like a laptop, but as a holographic projection. The keyboard would also be a holographic projection, or maybe there'd be a version where it can read your mind so that you won't even have to type instructions or whatever you want to write in an email. Since it's all projected from a little piece of metal (one inch by one inch?), it'd be very portable. You could probably even wear it like a watch. Now that would be awesome. ^^

Serena

I agree with your idea for a cube that uses holographics, thus cutting down the size of the device. In the mid term, there is a similar problem posed by devices getting smaller - as the devices get smaller and smaller they still have to remain big, so that they can accommodate a screen and a user interface. I think fold out paper displays will be used to accomplish something similar to what you suggested with holographics.

The Science Fiction writer Ian McDonald's vision or Hoeks and Palmers is by far the most elegant solution I've heard of. In his novel 'River of Gods' (set 2047) as well as some of his other works, everyone uses hoeks, devices that hook behind the ear and project computer imagery directly into the brain. Writing is achieved via a palmer which is a a lot like a chording glove. Chording has existed since the dawn of PDAs (Among the first ever Personal Organizers was the AgendA, which has chording buttons on it), basically typing using combinations of five finger movements or buttons, rather than a keyboard. I think Mc Donald's palmer used more gestures, but he captures the essence of the idea. Computers that let you walk about. That's what I'm after... as you can imagine being a writer I'm stuck in the one place for a while (once I turn the laptop on, wherever that might be, its a pain to pack it up again). It would be great to be able to write a book while going for a walk.

Still what you suggested, a cube would be brilliant. That would save lugging a big heavy laptop about. Well if ever you see something like that, give me a shout. hehe

I've yet to add my own contribution, so I might as well do it here. I'm looking forward to seeing private space ships. I know that may sound far out, but remember back in the 1900s, flying a plane was a rich man's game (I suppose it still is to a degree, but plenty of people have own their own glider, or small aircraft). I think there will come a time when laymen are building their own spaceships and flying up into space, after all you can't trust the governments to do it, they are way too slow, what you need are pioneers. Couple of years ago the first non-government company, flew a private space craft into space (wining the 10 million dollar X-prize), It's only a matter of time before others follow.

A must have gadget is a portable computer that can be your phone, handheld console, number crunching machine and a whole lot more. Also as an access point to other electronics across the Internet that you own.Also, it has the latest POWER processor to ensure that it runs fast and efficient.That's my dream gadget.xboxrulz

the best ever gadget is your own mind ? who agrees ? its simply the best . without your mind there will be no gadgets . j/k so lets get back on topic the best ever gadget is the iphone .heres a report i wrote and publish on internet like a few mmonths ago .Hey, that's what they claim: $100,000 in cold hard cash for the right to freely distribute the iPhone unlocking software onto the Nets. Full credit given to the creator(s) of course with a proposed release date of Wed night at 12:00am (in some unspecified time zone). No details as to who is financial backing the offer or how payments will be made, only a single email address posted for discussing the details. Hear that UniquePhones and IPhoneSIMfree, here's your chance to make a buck and avoid a legal tussle with AT&T / Apple. Of course, anyone can launch a Blogspot site announcing pretty much anything they'd like. If nothing else, the move illustrates perfectly the demand for the software unlock to be released for general consumption. Let's hope it means more.