xisto Community
jimmy89

Purchasing A Laptop - Your Suggestions

Hi,
I am finally getting around to getting myself a laptop (the one that my friend gave me has finally bitten the dust! :P) Anyway, I think I found one that isn't too bad and was hoping that everyone would be able to give some suggestions about what I'm looking at.

# PROCESSOR â Intel Core Duo processor T2350 1.86GHz# MEMORY - 1GB (512+512MB) DDR2
# HARD DRIVE - 120GB (5400rpm) SATA
# OPTICAL DRIVE - DVD SuperMulti Double⁄Dual Layer Drive
# READ AND WRITE SPEED â Read: CD-ROM 24x, DVD-ROM 8x; Write: CD-R 24x, CD-RW 4x, HS CD-RW 10x, DVD-R 8x, DVD-R DL 2x, DVD-RW 4x, DVD+R 8x, DVD+R DL 2.4x, DVD+RW 4x, DVD-RAM 5x
# COLOUR DISPLAY - 15.4" TruBrite Widescreen XGA
# RESOLUTION - 1280 x 800
# VIDEO â nVidia GeForce Go 7300 with 256MB video memory (128MB discrete video memory and 128MB shared system memory using TurboCache technology)
# TV-OUT PORT â S-Video
# AUDIO - Intel High Definition Audio
# LAN - Intel GBit TX Ethernet, Integrated Intel Pro Wireless 3945 802.11abg
# MODEM - International V.92 data modem + fax
# SPEAKERS - Premium harman⁄kardon speakers
# CARD READER â 5-in-1 card reader adapter
# USB PORT - 4 Hi-Speed USB 2.0 ports
# PC CARD SLOT â One PC Card slot supports one Type II PC Card, Express Card
# IEEE1394 PORT - Yes
# BLUE TOOTH - Toshiba Bluetooth V2.0 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
# SECURITY OPTIONS - Integrated Biometrics - Fingerprint reader
# SOFTWARE â Windows Vista Home Premium, Toshiba User's Manual, Toshiba Value Added Package, Norton Internet Security 2007 (90 day trial), Ulead DVD MovieWriter for TOSHIBA, Toshiba Disc Creator, InterVideo WinDVD, ConfigFree, Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0, Windows Movie Maker
# ESTIMATED BATTERY LIFE - Up to 3 hours

So all I'm asking for is just what you think of it, is it going to last me for a while, is it actually worth the $1,200 price tag, is there things that I could do without?
Thanks heaps,
-jimmy

Hi,I am finally getting around to getting myself a laptop (the one that my friend gave me has finally bitten the dust! :P) Anyway, I think I found one that isn't too bad and was hoping that everyone would be able to give some suggestions about what I'm looking at.
So all I'm asking for is just what you think of it, is it going to last me for a while, is it actually worth the $1,200 price tag, is there things that I could do without?
Thanks heaps,
-jimmy

Those are decent specs as those offered here. I just came back from our PC fair here. The cheapest around here is RM1999, about $571, which is celeron processor. The one with similar spec, but 160GB hdd and ATI X300 VGA, it's RM2699, about $771.

Since most laptops nowadays are quite similar in specs, only 2 things you need to really look into. 1, processor. Core Duo is basically the mobile version of P4 Duo Core. Where as Core 2 Duo is the new Conroe series, which is the successor of Centrino's Pentium Mobile. It's diff from P4, and it's much much more efficient and faster. If you're looking into long term usage and performance, i would recommend getting a Core 2 Duo. Which is of cause slightly more expensive. You can trade that off with a slightly slower graphic chipset. Having a Geforce will shorten your battery life as well.

The second thing is battery. Some laptop only comes with 3 cells battery, which will last you 2 to 3 hours. Estimated Battery Life is not always right, as it calculated upon perfect condition and minimal usage. Ask for the number of cells, recommended one are 4 to 6 cells. Extended one are 8 to 9 cells. With 6 cells and Core 2 Duo, you can achieve 4 hours of battery life. Core Duo will be shorter.

Looks like your system is from Toshiba. Toshiba built good laptop, but they're also pricier. They're targeting medium to high end market. If you go for HP, Dell, Lenovo(IBM) and Acer they would be cheaper for the same specs, due to the better market penetration, which in turn give them a bigger production quantity, and so lower the cost of each unit. They're also the top few laptop manufacturer, and the coverage of their service center is also wider.

If you can get one with XP is also better, since Vista is still quite new, getting your existing application over to Vista, will also cost you some upgrade fees, as some older version software are not compatible with Vista. Further more, Vista is still quite slow for the current specs of laptop. Unless of cause you've been using Vista for your everyday works.

Another thing you might want to look into is the weight. 15" seems to be a bit heavier to lug around. 14" is more common, so the price is also cheaper. 12" is light to carry around. Also, if you can afford the 3 years extended warranty, get it. It's worth it. I've seen a lot of laptop die after 1 or 2 years.

I have a 12" twinhead, centrino, have been serving me for more than 4 years. Since i'm an electronic engineer, so I used to open it up and service it once in a while, that's what have been keeping it alive for so long.

Thanks for your input! I have found another laptop, similar specs but with the core 2 duo. A little more expensive though! But for now, ill keep looking! Thanks again,-jimmy

You might want to stay back from Toshiba. In my experience, they are the ones that I have to fix the most, among my friends. Some just dies outright. Same with Dell and some Acers.The specifications looks nice, but I bet this machine costs more than a USD$1000.I recommend HP or Acer and I highly recommend Apple.xboxrulz

xboxrulz - that is AUD$1000, but actually AUD$1,274. And thanks, I'll have a look at some HP and Acer laptops. I was thinking about Apple, but there isn't that often that I would use the Mac, I more need windows for my development environment, but i'll still have a look - there just really expensive! :PWhat do you think of Dell, cause I was looking at 'building-my-own' from their website? Is it a good brand, cause if it is I can get exactly what I want in the laptop.

it seems like a decent laptop.xboxrulz, i have an acer, im on my 3rd harddrive, second graphics card, second sound card and some other things i forgot.i dont recommend acer at all.jimmy, im considering buying a make your own dell, they seem alright, although i got it to $10,000 (AUS) :P

I didn't notice you're from australia. So you might want to recalculate the price I mentioned earlier. I was referring to USD.Dell seems good. I have a few friends using it, so far so good. But I would still prefer HP.

oh jimmy ur from australia!what kind of laptop is it? i might get one! i see its toshiba, i was considering getting a toshiba a200 or p200 maybe.it was in the last diick (:l lol wot a bad name to call a shop) smiths or harvey norman catalogue i think.

Edited by Sten (see edit history)

xboxrulz - that is AUD$1000, but actually AUD$1,274. And thanks, I'll have a look at some HP and Acer laptops. I was thinking about Apple, but there isn't that often that I would use the Mac, I more need windows for my development environment, but i'll still have a look - there just really expensive! :P
What do you think of Dell, cause I was looking at 'building-my-own' from their website? Is it a good brand, cause if it is I can get exactly what I want in the laptop.

Dell is pretty ok. It does break down quite a lot.

it seems like a decent laptop.
xboxrulz, i have an acer, im on my 3rd harddrive, second graphics card, second sound card and some other things i forgot.
i dont recommend acer at all.

jimmy, im considering buying a make your own dell, they seem alright, although i got it to $10,000 (AUS) :P

True, aside from Toshiba, and Dell. Acer is the 2nd most broken laptops.

TOSHIBA - 1 CRIT, 2 MAJR, 1 MINR
DELL - 3 CRIT, 1 MAJR, 5 MINR
ACER - 2 CRIT, 1 MAJR, 0 MINR
APPLE - 0 CRIT, 0 MAJR, 1 MINR
HP - 0 CRIT, 0 MAJR, 0 MINR
SAMSUNG - 0 CRIT, 1 MAJR, 0 MINR
MDG - 0 CRIT, 0 MAJR, 0 MINR
LENOVO - 0 CRIT, 0 MAJR, 2 MINR

CRIT - Hardware faults
MAJR - Operating System faults, reinstall required
MINR - Just settings needs to be changed to work.

That's the history for laptop repairs. However, the approx. percentages of laptops I touched are (from 2006-2007 school year for those with laptops):

TOSHIBA - 2% of the student population
DELL - 50% of the student population
ACER - 10% of the student population
APPLE - 30% of the student population
HP - 3% of the student population
MDG - 1% of the student population
LENOVO 4% of the student population

I have yet to repair an HP or MDG machine.

xboxrulz

I would say that Toshiba is a risky choice for a brand. I know several people, including my girlfriend, who have had trouble with Toshiba laptops. In her case, the optical drive, which had a dvd burner, stopped working, and there was no fix for it. I'm not sure if it's worth it to have to send back your laptop to get fixed, because that's a pain in the butt. The other thing about Toshiba is that the battery life, as far as the people I know (including the gf) is alot less than what it states. I would go with Apple, or even Sony or Lenovo. As far as processors go, Core 2 Duo is a great choice of processor for a laptop. The apple store has refurbished laptops for pretty good prices, and if you're a college student, you can buy a mac and get a free ipod nano after rebate. A Sony Vaio is also a great choice, but this can be a bit pricey. You can never go wrong with a Sony though, as these things are built like tanks. I would stay away from Gateway, Emachines, Toshiba. Dell and HP/Compaq are good if you get a great deal on them. Just prepare once more for having minor problems with them. If you're dead set on getting that laptop, then nothing is gonna stop you. Good luck with your purchase!

sten, The laptop that I was looking at (mentioned above) was in the dse catalog sale, which finished today (5/8/07) so the price goes back up $200 or so. I was talking to them today, the store that is closest to me doesn't have any of them anyway!I was playing around the the dell website yesterday - i was starting with the top XPS model and expanding from that, they get very expensive!So far i think it will be a HP, and defiantly Core 2 Duo, but im having problems finding a new laptop without vista, i'm not sure if they are selling them anymore, though they may have some out the back for a bit cheaper! hopefully - im not ready to go vista yet!Another question, graphics - should i be looking for a laptop with an actual graphics card (like the nVidia® GeForce™ Go 7300) or one with a graphics accelerator? Whats the difference and what will be better?I think I will go 1GB (2x 512mb) of memory at the moment and a 120GB hard drive (haven't decided if I want to go the 7200rpm or stick with the 5000rpm drive)

For non vista model, here they offer DOS or linux, which has no charge for the OS, :P . But you might have problem getting the drivers for XP. You might need to manually download individual driver from their original manufacturer. Some vista driver do works on XP.Graphic accelerator will consume less power. If you need to work with 3D or if you want to play 3D games on your laptop, then you'll need the independent graphic chip, preferably with independent video ram as well. But i won't recommend playing games on laptop. For the same price, i can get a much better rig(desktop) for gaming purposes. If you use XP, and with 1GB or ram, 5400rpm is good enough. 7200rpm one will also consume more power. If you can find out the amount of cache on the harddrive, that's more representative. Normally it's 2MB, if you can get one with 4 to 8MB will be a lot better.

I wont be playing many games at all, since the laptop is mainly for work purposes! So the graphics accelerator should be good enough for me! Apparently this graphics accelerator is compatible with Aero (which I'm not to fussed about, I think I'll just turn it off anyway). I have a copy of XP Professional for the computer at home that I could install onto the laptop (instead of vista) if I really don't like it (I'll see how it goes, maybe i can get used to it! :P).I'm not to sure on the Hard Drive cache, but if the 5400rpm will consume less power (battery life is important to me) and is still good enough, I think I'll go with that one!Also, what is the PCI Express Card used for. I'm assuming it is not the same as the PC Card (PCMCIA) that is in my other laptop?Otherwise, I think I have everything else sorted. It's got a 15.4" widescreen, 1.3MP camera and fingerprint reader (fancy feature, not too much use :P) and the speakers are harmon kardon too.

Well, if you get those with Vista, you're paying for it's license, which i think it's more than AUS$100.That's the external version of PCIe, which electrically same with the desktop counterpart. It's suppose to replace PCMCIA, for faster speed and lower power consumption. But availability of hardware choices is still limited. Anyway, most laptop already has everything you need built right in, so that will usually be left unplugged.

Thanks for your explanation of PCIe.All of the laptops that I have looked at are Windows Vista Home Basic or Premium, no one seems to be selling XP anymore. Though I did see one store (I think it was an online store) that was offering to downgrade to XP, and then give you the choice to upgrade to Vista again if you wanted to in the future.