xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Jeigh1405241495

Auto Screen Position Changing Possible?

Probably the most vague title ever, but I have no clue if what I'm thinking even exists and if so, what it would be called haha. So I'm developing an asp .net application and there are pages where I fill in information, hit submit, and I want to just have a report appear beneath that, but then would like to have the screen automatically scroll down to the report rather then having the user have to scroll down each time. I don't want to load a new form if possible just to keep all the input locations and output in one spot in case they want to test multiple values. It won't ruin the design if I can't do this, but figured I'd see if any of you that have more asp/web in general experience know how you'd go about doing this... I have to keep working on the main functionality less I'd toy around with things trying to find it myself :P

Probably the most vague title ever, but I have no clue if what I'm thinking even exists and if so, what it would be called haha. So I'm developing an asp .net application and there are pages where I fill in information, hit submit, and I want to just have a report appear beneath that, but then would like to have the screen automatically scroll down to the report rather then having the user have to scroll down each time. I don't want to load a new form if possible just to keep all the input locations and output in one spot in case they want to test multiple values. It won't ruin the design if I can't do this, but figured I'd see if any of you that have more asp/web in general experience know how you'd go about doing this... I have to keep working on the main functionality less I'd toy around with things trying to find it myself :P

If all you really want to do is autoscroll the page, why not do it client side? I'm assuming the report is going to be run on the server and then returned to the client asynchronously, so in that case, just hook the onClick event for your submit object in javascript and change the scrollbar position.

Right, how? haha. I mean I already knew that's the theory behind it, I just don't know how to manipulate the scroll bar, since there is no top level scroll bar property or anything. I'm sure it's something extremely simple I just am missing the specifics and don't feel like hunting through google results for a single word or something that will trigger my memory.

Right, how? haha. I mean I already knew that's the theory behind it, I just don't know how to manipulate the scroll bar, since there is no top level scroll bar property or anything. I'm sure it's something extremely simple I just am missing the specifics and don't feel like hunting through google results for a single word or something that will trigger my memory.

Try this technique: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Why not use AJAX ? 1) On button click you could set the screen to go lighter and then show your report on the layer above it with a clos option that when clicked returned to the form page. While returning you could set this to either clear all textbox values or just make some labels visible to tell the user that values are already present in the fields, or whatever user interface you would want to make easier for the user.2) Use a master page and give all your text fields in that. and on button click just join another page to that master. so the look and feel is the same plus this transition is faster.How many fields do you have ? lol dont tell me 50. But i think even 50 fields if arranged the rightway through layers could give you enough space to show your values. If you have a gridview to show them then that makes it much easier. this is just an idea. to implement this idea in real would need you to take many things into consideration, like page size, if edit is enabled then it will bloat up the gridview and make the width scrollable etc .. RegardsDhanesh.

Well, the main reason I didn't use AJAX was because I haven't used it before :P Not that I'd be against learning, but basically I have these reports created in microsoft report services (*shudder*) that I need to give them access to, and my boss told me to use what I'm using, so I am haha. Thanks for the link and ideas though, I'll get that working when I goto work on tuesday :P (woo long weekends haha)