xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
b dreher

Camera Phones

I really hope they accomplish something.. because i've been wishing for a phone with a 6MP camera since i was born. And since the new Iphone came out it integrates the phone with the loveable ipod.

Cell phone designers strive for sleekness, a quality that makes it nearly impossible to include a quality zoom lens on your phone. The thin, wide-angle lenses found in today's phones work fine for panoramic shots, but forget about crisp close-ups.

The reflective rings on this crystal increase the optic's focal length to enable high-quality zoom.

To zoom in, cell phone cams simply stretch pixels, which kills image quality.

Now researchers at the University of California at San Diego have borrowed a mirror trick from reflective-telescope makers to cram sharp telephoto capability into a package just a few millimeters thick.

The technique uses mirrors to bounce light back and forth, lengthening the path light travels (which increases the potential for magnification) without bulking up the length of the optic.

To make the lens, engineering professor Joseph Ford and graduate student Eric Tremblay carved an array of concentric reflective rings into a single optical crystal, creating a miniature hall of mirrors.

When light enters the camera's aperture, it bounces from ring to ring and eventually lands on a central sensor that interprets the information and produces close-up telephoto images on your screen.

The new optic is seven times as thin as a traditional, 35-millimeter refractive lens, with nearly equivalent image quality.

The researchers have applied for a patent on the technology and are working on a version of the optic that's one fifth the current size -- which could be good news for your camera phone in a couple years.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Hmm.. Anyway any of your guys really use the phone camera functions for taking pictures or any serious photos that you would develop or keep in backup? The only time I've used the phone camera function is to capture the bend on my car when I got into an accident, so that I could use that evidence to claim from his insurance company. :P jk

The only advantage of a camera phone is that it's already in your pocket :P . Some camera phones are good enough to capture some pictures on an event (where you don't want to walk around all the time with a camera bag), but only for the emotion/memory/feeling/mood, not for the quality.

Hmm.. Anyway any of your guys really use the phone camera functions for taking pictures or any serious photos that you would develop or keep in backup? The only time I've used the phone camera function is to capture the bend on my car when I got into an accident, so that I could use that evidence to claim from his insurance company. :P jk

Actually yes, but my phone's camera is 0.6 MP, so I'm still waiting on a new one so I really use it as my main camera.

xboxrulz

surely u dont need a 6 mp camera phone. people wouldnt normally use a phone as their main camera would they?having a camera always in your pocket is nice though, and other functions of a phone (although all people really use on phones is the camera and texting people).camera phones are just nice for capturing random things that popup round the place, lol

Actually, 6 MegaPixels is A LOT! Many people use 3 and 4 MegaPixel digital cameras with really clear results. In fact, unless you need to print out large photographs - e.g. posters, for example - a 3 MegaPixel cam would serve you just fine. I have a 5 MegaPixel digital camera and it hasn't failed me so far. Well, except that it doesn't have optical zoom, which limits my ability to capture clear shots at a distance. But other than that, I'm yet to have a problem with it.

True, 6.0 MP is useless for most people and too expensive too.However, camera phones are starting to replace digital cameras as for example, even the Sony Cybershot is now integrated into all Sony Ericsson phones instead of having it separate.xboxrulz

The only thing about the higher resolution cameraphones, like those that are 6mp and up would be the lack of a reliable zoom function. I can't imagine a cell phone having optical zoom. Digital zoom vastly reduces the image quality of your pictures. I heard that there are some camera phones with flash, which is quite awesome, so optical zoom is only a little while from now. I also think that there's no such thing as "people don't need" when it comes to having more advanced technology. The great advantage of having a camera with alot of megapixels is that you can zoom in and crop images on your computer without losing too much image quality when ordering your prints. As the resolution of camera phones raises, so will the included memory get lardre or memory card slots be necessary.