Sign in to follow this  
Vyoma

Pomegranate Digital Painting for a workshop

Posted Image

Subject: Pomegranate

Software: GIMP

Hardware: PC + Wacom Tablet

Time: 3 hours on and off

I know, I know. I have been a bit absent from Xisto - that is because I am working hard on improving my digital painting skills. This is my entry for a weekly workshop at another forum. I was just able to complete it with couple of hours remaining. (This week has been busy).

Thought I would let you guys in on a 'sneak peek'. :P

This is a scaled down image. The original image is 1680x1275. (You can it out at the deviantART entry too).

Wow, this is amazing! I can't imagine something like this being done on a computer, and with a graphics tablet! This looks like a painted canvas! Congratulations and good luck for the competition!-jimmy

Well - it is no competetion or something like that. We just choose a subject every begining of the week and submit one by end of week. Kind of 'group-learning'.

Done with open-source software too...very nice. Goes to show you don't need to buy a 1000$+ software package to get pretty impressive things done.*gives Adobe the finger*

Done with open-source software too...very nice. Goes to show you don't need to buy a 1000$+ software package to get pretty impressive things done.
*gives Adobe the finger*

Ha ha.

Well - Photoshop does have its own advantages and GIMP has its disadvantages. (I have written about it here). It all depends to what extent we are using it. If it is a hobby and/or we need it for minor work, then there is no reason to shell out $600 on Adobe Photoshop CS3. (And that does not even justify priacy).

I have heard most people complain about UI of GIMP saying how it is not like Photoshop. But in my opinion, it only how long you use a particular UI that matters - the more you use, the more it becomes common and easy to work with.