xisto Community
lonelym

I'm Having Problems With Sessions

I haven't really read much about sessions, i usually study PHP by viewing other's codes and learning from it. Here's what keeps on popping out when I open the page.

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\maple-radio-live\loggingin.php:7) in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\maple-radio-live\loggingin.php on line 40

and

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\maple-radio-live\loggingin.php:7) in C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs\maple-radio-live\loggingin.php on line 55

Here is the sourcecode for the page:

<?PHP include("config.php"); ?><HTML><HEAD><TITLE>Logging In<TITLE></HEAD><body bgcolor="black" link="#90ee90" alink="#90ee90" vlink="#90ee90"><?PHP// retrieve the submitted values$username1 = $_POST["username"];$password1 = $_POST["password"];$rememberMe = $_POST["rememberMe"];// make sure that rememberMe has a valueif ($rememberMe == "rememberMe"){	$rememberMe = "1";}else{	$rememberMe = "0";}//Starts the fontsprint $fs;//Checks if the username field was written onif ($username1 == ""){die("You did not write anything on the username field.");}if ($password1 == ""){die("You did not write anything on the password field.");}// check it the username exist$query = "Select * from usertable where username='$username1'";$result = mysql_query($query); if ($result != true){ die ("You have written an unregistered username."); }	$row = mysql_fetch_assoc($result);	if ($row["numloginfail"] >= 5){ die("You have logged in for more than 5 incorrect times. Please try again later."); }	if ($row["password"] != $password1){ die("You have written the wrong password."); }			$datetime = date("m d, y");			$query = "UPDATE usertable SET lastlogin = '$datetime' where username='$username1'";  			$result = mysql_query($query); 			$query = "UPDATE usertable Set numloginfail = '0' where username='$username1'";  			$result = mysql_query($query); 			session_start();			session_unset();			// remove the session itself			// put the password in the session			@ session_register("pass");			$HTTP_SESSION_VARS["pass"] = $password1;			// put the username in the session			@ session_register("id");			$HTTP_SESSION_VARS["id"] = $username1;			// send the the cookie if needed			if($rememberMe=="1"){			setcookie("rememberCookieUname",$username1,(time()+604800));			setcookie("rememberCookiePassword",md5($password1),(time()+604800));			}			// go to the secured page.			header("Location: members/index.php");print $fe;?></BODY></HTML>

$fs and $fe means font start and font end. I have written its values in config.php

Thanks for the help.

You can't send any data before the Header function, unless you use output buffering, and in your code you are printing the $f and $fe variables by using the print() function, also if you use sessions you must start it before any other thing, so move your session_start() function to the very top of your page.

Also, after your Header() function remove any whitespace like linebreaks or even spaces, is a good practice to include a call to the exit() function after the header() function.

Why do you print your $f and $fe variables??? you can achieve the same result by simply adding it to your die() function calls, like:

if ($username1 == ""){die($f."You did not write anything on the username field.".$fe);}
or simply don't use them, and, yes, i know if you use it your code will be a bit bigger <_<

Best regards,

Why do you print your $f and $fe variables?

I print them out before and after the PHP script so that I wouldn't have to type them again and again. It works, so I don't really have any troubles with it.

Thanks for replying. I understood how to do it now.