xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
tansqrx

The State Of Yahoo! Chats

An interesting post slipped through on Friday from the Official Messenger Blog (https://messenger.yahoo.com/). This is one of the few posts that has some meat to it and it basically outlines what the future of Yahoo! chat rooms are (the title is “Chat rooms: State of the Union”, I like it). According to Yahoo!, the entire backend of the servers has been rebuilt from the ground up. Hopefully they also incorporated security into their software life cycle which would make many of the common problems disappear. There is also a war against bots, and a MAC platform addition.Two quick commentary points. Perhaps this is why the current chat rooms have fallen into a state of disrepair. The developers were focusing on getting the new version going and simply neglected the current build. With the next version going live soon, the developer should be more focused in keeping the rooms in good condition. This brings me to my second observation. “Though Yahoo! is a big company with over 10,000 employees around the world, a very small number of them work on our chat rooms; in fact you can count them on one hand.” The last time I checked the most this could be is five. It looks to me that Messenger and chat is severely understaffed. With five people I will make the following guess: one is a graphics art person, one is a manager, one IT person, and two developers. With such a large footprint as chat has, it is hard to believe that this team has even had time to keep the servers running. I hope this is a good sign that chat will clean up but I will not make too many bets at the present.