xisto Community
sebastian___

How To Keep The Internet Out From A Network ? Using Dlink Giga lan switch, DSL ... see picture

So..in the picture below you can see the schematic I made. The internet enters in the first PC thru the DSL box , and I wanna connect the internet PC with the other PC's with a giga lan speed. For that I think I will need a second Lan card because the internet PC only has one lan port. Next I use the Dlink 8 ports Switch. But I don't want the internet go from the internet PC thru the Dlink and to the other PC's. Because I don't wanna put firewall and stuff on the other PC's. But maybe with this setup, the internet will just naturally stop at the first PC ?

- And also this is the only possible setup ? Thanks.

Posted Image

Hi sebastian and welcome to Xisto.That's what I thought too. It might require you to add those other PCs to the network (via the Network Wizard) in order for them to have access to the internet. So you should be internet-less B), unless you setup those to connect to this internet computer.

just try to make bridge between the tow lans on the first pc and the others will have the internet

The question is how to keep those other computers from the internet. So he should leave it as is so none of them will be able to go online.

Thank you all. So now I have to buy a lan card for the first PC (because in the schematic I made, the PC with internet has 2 Lan cables connected but only one LAn port). I found a cheap Lan card with only 5 Euro plus some for shipping. And the card I will buy has only 100 speed, enough I think for the internet. And I will use the integrated Lan port with the 1000 speed in order to have a 1000 speed connection with all other PC's. - No problem using a 100 card in a pc ? No conflicting with the integrated 1000 Lan ?

Edited by sebastian___ (see edit history)

If you don't enable NATing from one adapter to the other on your network connected machine, if you connect them in the topology in the picture, none of them will have access; you don't need to do anything.

So, confidently, I would say : "if you do nothing special, the internal LAN PC's will have no access to the Internet."In order to give access to the internet, there are sevreral ways, some of them are rather complicated, you could not do the job accidentally.Your home LAN PC's have no default gateway. If you don't fill the address of the default gateway, there will be no way for the Ethernet packets from your internal LAN PC's to get routed to the external network. And, if you don't know how to create a gateway on your Internet PC, no chance that it starts acting as a gateway.Secondly, you will need to cascade your proxies. The main proxy, from your ISV provider, will not accept to act for the other PC's. So, you need to install a proxy server on your Internet PC. If you don't buy WinGate, or if you don't know how to configure free proxy servers as Privoxy, the PC's will not go to the Internet.Unless you ask Microsoft to do the job, and then you must ask windows to create your home network and put it on the Internet : if you don't enter these menus, no way for your home network to go outside your house.So, the best thing from a SI point of view : do nothing, everything will be OK.RegardsYordan

If your dsl router is connected directly to your internet connected computer via ethernet andthen this computer is connected to your ethernet switch. There will have to be two ethernetcards in that computer. That creates two seperate networks and if the network with internetconnectivity is not shared with the other then your internet cannot reach your LAN.