xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hazemmostafa

Using Mask In Photoshop Create a b/w in color image using mask

Hello ,

This is a good tutorial about a famous glamour effect used by photoshop editors all over the world ..

Have you noticed these images for models in black and white with part or more in these images in colors ?!

There are many ways to cet this type of effect applyed to your images ....

You can select the parts you want and create a copy from your selection then apply the desaturation to the origional ,

Or you can create a copy layer from the origional and use erase tool to erase the parts you want and then apply the desaturation to the origional .. ,,, As you can see photoshop has lots of ways to do this whatever you think it suites you image use it ..

------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a show of how I do this in a very simple reversable way using a mask which is one of the most I like in this program

because layer mask can be used to do approx. anything and in a very professional way , also it let you edit all your steps 100%

As you know if you erase a part of your image and after some steps want this part back you must go to History palette and return to the erase step which will not be available if you exceed history save allowed in preference 20 , 50 , ... steps ,

and also will not be available to you if you save and close your psd as photoshop will delete all the history steps ...

A professional way to edit steps is to use masks , meaning mask every step you do if possiable , if you want to add filter mask it , mask levels , Contrast , Hue and Saturation , This way you can return to the mask layer and edit it any time without losing a single step of your work .... I do this all time so when a client come to see his image and ask for modifications you will not need to need to restart it .

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now lets start this show

firat you open Photoshop B)

then open you photo ....

and apply a Hue and Saturation Mask using this small icon at the end of layer palette

Posted Image

now move the Saturation Slider to this value (-100) this will result in a desaturated image ( ofcourse there are more advanced ways to apply b/w effect to you image , use any method you prefer But in a mask )

Posted Image

see there is a mask layer now above the image carring the desature effect while the image itself still untouched .., this is what is awesome thing in using masks

Now use the erase tool to erase whatever you wish from the mask layer

Posted Image

In this example I want to show the whole image in black and white but the lips and the small colored beads ( hope this is the right word :) )

so I started to erase these parts from the mask layer , you see they are in colors now

Posted Image

the above image shows that there is a part of her face returned to be colored too , this is a mistake and using mask let me correct this very easy

all you have to do is switch foreground and background colors

Posted Image

with the same erase tool now use it over the mistaken part of the model face see it is back now to black and white again :)

Posted Image

and the same way you do the lips or any other part you want to show the mask effect on

You can use this way in lots of ways to generate reversable effects and erased area in your image as this tutorial showed it is the easy way also if you save this psd you can after open it and start edit the mask as you wich , in order to show your iamge in colors all you have to do is to hide the mask layer and the original image is not affected by the applied filter ...

Even if you have different ideas about how the image can be you can do different mask layers each with a different effect and save the whole psd meaning one psd file rather than saving (number of ideas) PSDs which saves alot of mega bytes in your hard disk , and easy show you client all your ideas to select by only hide a mask layer and show another one , this is easier for the client to view and select ..

here is the result of the image here

Posted Image

hope you like it

hazemmostafa

EXCELLENT info !!!Using Mask In Photoshop

I looked everywhere on the web to find out how to do this. Most had WAY too many steps involved. I KNEW there had to be an easier way. ( I am self-taught on Photoshop. I know, crazy right ?). This paged has saved me HOURS of frustration !!BIG thanks to the author !

Brat