xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
thingiwhant2know

Game Designing how?

It sounds like you have no idea how to program. Well that ok everyone starts somewhere. Thier are some easy ways to make games but you dont learn to program and then there are the harder ways and you learn a little programing.

The easy ways:

Game maker: Nice download, very limited on what you can do but you can make some good games. It is free but you can pay to have an upgrade. It makes download games but you learn no coding what so ever and if you want to make good games shouldn't use this program.

Game Maker

Visual Pinball: Great for making a downloadable pinball game. You learn basic programing (though you will not use it again untill your are a real good programer). It is free and is updated lots. You can make your pinball machine look and feel like the one pre-installed on windows xp. Lots of possiblities and great to start off with. Easy and fun way to learn basic if programing.

Visual Pinball

The good ways:

Macromedia Flash 8: It costs money but is real effective. Most games on the internet are made with it and has almost endless possiblilites. You can make great games with it and you learn action script as well. Very handy think to know (even though no actuall programing language uses it). You can also make movies with Flash also. This is by far the best option in making games that is if you can afford it. You can get a 30 day free trial and see if you like it first.

Macromedia Flash 8

Now these reviews are my opinion. Others may dissagree with them and thats fine. I just hope you find what you are looking for in a program to make games. Maby some day you will be a good programer.

Thanks,

Sparkx

Game maker, if you are on windows, is a great learning tool and the full version was less than USD 50 the last time I checked (it's been a few years). That will allow you to learn the basics on what it takes to think through creating a game. The full version is actually quite powerful and used a version of BASIC if I remember correctly that allows you to code adanced actions. Another option to consider is Blender3D from Blender 3D.org. Blender does a lot of things, mainly people use it as a free Lightwave/MAX/Maya like CGI animation and modelling application, but it also includes a game engine. Blender was originally created to make NEOGEO games back in the day. It is free, opensource, and runs on any platform you can think of. Those are the plus sides. The down side is that Blender has a VERY STEEP learning curve. It's not as bad with all the online help today, but still it's a task in and of its self. Blender uses PYTHON as it's primary programing language. Of all the major scripting languages out there, PYTHON is one of the easists to learn and use. Google for Blendergames and see if the old site is available with demos and examples you can use to learn from. Next on the list are the game engines like Crystal Space and Ogre. Actaully Ogre is more of a graphics engine. You really need to know how to code to use either of them, but go to sourceforge and check out Crystal Space.

I agree with the previous post, about Gamemaker. I've made several demos for games I've wanted to make and it's totally simple, so long as you know how to use it. The big thing is making the 2D sprites. You'll need a photo editor, and an animation program.Once you do that, you'll need to sit down and draw out some level designs on paper, so you'll have an idea how the levels will be laid out.Then do some character sketches to get an idea what kind of character design you're going to have.Once you get that stuff all down, you'll need to whip it up in Photoshop or equivalent program, and start making sprites. Once you have some placeholder characters set up to test with, then get to designing the levels. Work out the collision detection and all that fun stuff. I prefer Top-Down view games, as opposed to side scrollers (a la Mario Bros.). Just my personal preference for making games.Then you'll get into more confusing bits with the Artificial Intelligence programming, which you'll need to learn the game code programming. There are tutorials online for that.Keep at it, and keep building and you'll have yourself a hot new title in no time :) I was a member of the Back To The Future fan bulletin boards a few years back, and they made a fan game with Doc riding a time travel bike that was very well done. There are tons of resources for Gamemaker online, and I believe they're working on making it 3D capable soon, within a couple of versions or so.... So keep an eye out B)

and I believe they're working on making it 3D capable soon, within a couple of versions or so.... So keep an eye out <_<

In fact, it is already capable of D3D functions, though the models can't be really high-poly. I'm using / learning it now, it's a great program. If you build up more experience you can also build Windows applications with it. But I'd use Visual Basic for that. You should also take a look at http://www.clickteam.com/, it has several tools for development ranging from simple games to Windows applications. It's similar to Game Maker, but I heard that it's better. I haven't tried it yet though, but I will.