xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BaSsMaNjR5

Linux Vs Windows Which one is your first choice?

Linux or Windows  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hmmm spend 100 or so dollars on windows or get linux for free.....Tough choice for someone with no money eh? Most programs are based around the cough wonderful cough operating system of windows....One day I decided to go to the world of linux and try it out....It was the most amazing experience I had on a computer lol.....You constanly are reading tutorials and getting assistance from people on IRC chats and annoying people on forums to get help with tasks other linux users think are simple...I was shocked by how much control you have over the operating system of linux and how stable it was for something that is created by people all over the world. So my choice is going with linux yet everthing that is made is run on windows....Yes there is a way to get around that in linux using the program wine or some other programs out there....But I think people would rather get it easy and use windows like I do now lol....But here in a few years I am sure I will be a full on linux user and be happy with it all....Why would you pay 100 or so dollars for an operating system that is less stable and you have less control over and is probably less secure than a free OS? The reason linux is so secure is because of how many people acutally use it....there are a hadful compared to the windows users...Its very funny I think that people would just rather stick with easier things that require less thinking and more frustrating problems unlike linux that is a bit harder and is frustrating until you learn about it but hey thats my view....so which OS would you go with?

Well, Ive had very little experience with linux, but a whole lot with windows. In high school, I use to go to a local college for a program I was in that prepares me for college and pays SAT and college application costs and other stuff. We had a class that we use computers and we used linux, but it was so limited due to restrictions and stuff, and it didnt have java. On those computers, I had bad experiences with linux, but Im planning on learning about linux and seeing how it works, along with Unix, cause I hear they are similar, and Im gonna take a class on Unix because it seems like a pretty good OS. Ive been using windows all my life, and it seems like most every computer that you dont build yourself has some type of windows on it. So of course all I really know is Windows. Also, programming seems a little more complicated on linux, or something, but I dont really know. I really want to learn Linux one day though.

well as long as windows is the standard os for computers i will stick with it, but if a new os takes over the compuer market i will probably go with that, my only problem with linux is the lack of knowledge with many people, i mean when the computer has problems and i need the computer quick i dont wanna sit there and try and solve something for hours on end to realize i can't do it, atleast for windows there are people around who can help me if i have problems and i wont have to go to an IRC chat or to a support forum. I mean without a computer how are you suppose to connect to the interent... :) just my point.

I chose Windows, because the most programs only work on windows. And many games are only made for windows. If you chose Linux, you chose for security and for your money :)I think you can make windows as safe as Linux, by installing the right programs. The right Anti-spyware, virusscanner, firewall and Mozilla Firefox of course :) I don't know what the right programs are, but I think that they exist B)

Well, of course I choose Linux over Windows because of the public relations with the Linux community which I'm part of. Linux is great, I must admit, that's I run campaigns to suppress Windows. I'm currently trying to run Windows-free; which is hard if you're a type of guy that spent 3/4 of your life using Windows and Macintosh (and which I am one). I trimph over using Windows because I believe I can do it and I don't need a rich person controlling what I can or cannot do. In this case, I support Linux for cost, public relations, freedom and most important, what it can do for me.That's IMO, depending on what you want to do with your system, you decide.xboxrulz

If you don't want to install Linux just yet but wanting to try it, download KNOPPIX here.

What is KNOPPIXŽ?KNOPPIX is a bootable CD with a collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it.

Quote from:
http://www.knoppix.com/

xboxrulz

I don't see a point for anyone to use Linux on their home computers (ie non servers). Seriously, all the programs I run are made for windows. Ya, there are alternative programs that look and feel (almost) like the same windows programs but they are simply NOT COMPATIBLE. If I try to send a document to my client that ISN'T MS Word, they would have a fit.What about games? You are royally screwed when it comes to games because most of the new games that come out only run on Windows. Most people who run Linux have to run MS as well. So, I don't see the point in having both operating systems.I just use the one that does everything I need. I don't NEED Linux.Also, in terms of stability, I have left my computer running for literally weeks and it has never crashed or even slowed down. Yes, there are memory leaks and stuff but the memory can be reclaimed. I have NEVER had a blue screen with XP. I have never had a virus, never been hacked, and never had spyware.I am totally satisfied with XP.

Wow many mixed feelings lol.....Well first off i feel ya xboxrulz 100%!! Now for those who dont see why anyone would use linux.....Linux CAN be used with windows games....you just have to know how to use linux and how to use the programs to do so...The furthest I got with windows programs was probably winamp because I wanted to use wine and see how far I could get with it and I did good....I also messed with some P2P programs but couldnt get them to connect for dwonloading music....Also linux is very very very stable and is free! Why and I will stand by this forever, why in the world would you go and #1 not use your mind with and OS #2 pay 100+ dollars for an OS that doesnt do anything but makes us lazy people even lazier and #3 we lose money and are supporting a greedy billionaire that doesnt deserve that money.....The soldiers of america and people who actually mean something to our freedom are the ones who deserve that money. So basically those who use linux arent supporting the horrible non educative OS and the OS that costs as much money as an ipod or even a computer...yea a crappy one, but a computer lol. Just think about it for a while and you will understand why us linux fanatics are ordering 15 ubuntu cds and getting codes for linspire OS and downloading every Fedora cd there is...Linux will soon dominate windows and will be a leader in OS's.....trust me :)

trust me. linux is not gonna be dominating anything anytime soon. Linux has not made even a DENT in the consumer market which drives probably about 75% of operating system sales. I bet you can't even name ONE computer manufacturer which supplies OEM Linux for the consumer market. The server market is dominated by Linux, yes... I am not arguing this. But, this has NEVER been a windows area. Linux is basically a dumb down package of Unix which is what most servers run on in the past. So, it isn't really a stretch for people to use Linux on servers. They already know what it is.First of all, I know about "whine" software and other emulators to run windows programs. MY point is WHY? What is the point of emulating when you can just run it for real? Why should I waste my time TRYING to get stuff to work when I know it will work in Windows? You think that it will be more stable in linux? If MS Word isn't stable, running it in linux isn't going to stop it from crashing.Next, I don't care if XP is $100 because it comes with the computer. I can't deduct the value of XP if I don't want it. (I am not talking cheap *bottom* clones... I have a laptop.) And, there is always the pirate option (not that I endorse piracy). So, am I really paying $100 for XP?? NO. Only retail versions are $100. OEM versions are built into the price of the comptuer and is less than $100. In fact, most of the time.. XP is basically thrown in for free.Also, linux is not as stable as people like to say it is. Linux CRASHES TOO. IF you say no, you are a liar. It's just like MAC's who claim to never crash and is very stable (OSX is based on linux). But, I know many people with macs who's systems crash many times more than my XP. Finally, I KNOW why linux "fanatics" like linux so much. It is simply because they have a hatred/jealousy of MS and they like to feel superior. The linux fanatic likes to use linux as a STATUS SYMBOL in their circle of acquaintances. If you are in IT you MUST use linux or you will be shunned. If you know anything about computers you MUST use linux. I am better and smarter than the average consumer because I know about linux and I use linux. It is simply a way to look down on the average user. Deep down you know this to be true but you may not admit it. I don't care.What linux "people" don't understand is that windows is LESS HASSLE, LESS WORK, and is COMPATIBLE with the most software. People DONT CARE that linux is better when what they have works for their NEEDS. Why would I want to waste time trying to "make" my programs run on linux?? That is why Linux is not going to "dominate" the market soon. Get real. 90% of people don't even know what it is, let alone use it. Here's a lesson for you. In business the best product rarely wins. There are so many examples of this. The market dictates what is successful. If the market doesn't accept your product, I don't care if it can give you eternal life... it won't be successful. Linux will NEVER be mainstream unless they start looking at the product from the business perspective.

I have on my PC Windows98 SE, WindowsXP and UBUNTU Linux.Windows 98 SE is the best for games. You can play almost all game with them.I use Windows XP when play music or any kind of media files.Linux is best if you have some work with servers or downloading/uploading files on Internet.

Actually, no9t9, the person who built my computer (Amigo Systems) in Toronto gives you an option to install Linux for free. As I said, it comes by request, which is still in OEM. Since my parents are not experts, when they bought me my computer, they requested Windows XP over Linux and still I asked them to install Linux on a partition. As for Linux fanatics, we absolutely hate Microsoft not because we're jealous, we hate them for dominating the market and not allowing competitors to even stand up or try to earn a percentage of the market. Plus, these proprietory software companies are hogging all the ideas as their property. If it wasn't for the open source model, most of the closed source software that you see now wouldn't even exist. It's because in the 70s and the 80s, people relied on each other to accomplish something which required the opensource model. I stand up for the open source model because I believe that ideas CANNOT be owned and anyone may use that idea to an extent. What I mean is that they can't copy it exactly.no9t9, also when you said business perspective, companies like Red Hat, Novell, IBM, Intel, Mandrake are in the process to make Linux more user friendly. Without them, then you're right, Linux can't dominate the market.Yes, you're right about Windows is less WORK and certainly not LESS HASSLE. I have used Windows for several years, I've seen the BSoD, random reboots on Windows XP and random error reports that says that my system has problem but doesn't. Although Windows = less work, which the equation also means laziness. I'm paying $229 for 1 piece of software that performs poorly, and makes people lazy. I find here that I should spend that $229 for going to Hong Kong instead.Review:- There are retailers that do give you an option that makes Linux OEM- We're not all jealous of Microsoft, they just hog the market and doing some operations that are illegal- Linux does look at the business and home user markets- Windows = more HASSLE = more money spent- Windows = less work = lazy people- spending $229 for crappy software isn't worth itThat's my argument defending the Linux community.xboxrulz

1. OEM does not simply mean you they will install it on your computer. OEM is a DEAL with MANUFACTURERS not resellers and distributors. A store in your area is willing to install it for you when you buy the computer, doesn't make it an OEM installation. Hence, Linux has no OEM market (home users).2. "Were not all jealous..." - I don't claim ALL to be jealous, but enough ARE. The problem is that the hate and jealousy (which you have admitted) has blinded the linux "gang" to the BENEFITS of a company like MS. That's what I have a problem with. Linux is not the panacea it claims itself to be. Linux is not the BEST operating system for EVERYONE. If you claim it to be, which most linux lovers do, you are a liar.3. If ideas were free, there would be no such thing as trademarks and copyrights. Open source cannot claim to be the BEST either. The best lies with having the two models COEXIST. I believe this is happening now. Open source model is good for generating ideas but it is not good for business and the development of standards. Look how many distro's of Linux there are. Open source is a step away from standards. Finally, MS is also partially open as well.. which is one of the reasons why it has been so successful. It is the combination of the two models that really works. Going to the extremes is never good, and I believe that is what the Linux gang represents. How many people who are linux lovers STRIVE to completely remove any traces of MS? What you people don't understand is that even though I am arguing against you, I am not saying MS is the BEST. But, you are so jaded that you automatically ASSUME since I don't agree with you I (1) don't know anything about linux and (2) like MS. 4. "Windows = less work = lazy people" - Another attack on people who CHOOSE not to spend unneccessary time with their computer. Just because you LIKE to fiddle with your computer doesn't mean other people do. Most people use the computer for the internet, email, work, and games. There isn't a big benefit in spending the time to setup linux for this. In fact, linux is WORSE for games and for work. So, it is not laziness. People simply DO NOT CARE or WANT to spend the time on the computer.Look at it this way, do you like USB devices like USB drives? I personally love how I can goto any computer and simply plug in my USB drive and transfer files. You might call this being lazy because the computer sets up the drive for me... So, would you want to have to install drivers, setup drives, configure the device simply to transfer a file using a USB drive?? I don't think so. Does that make you LAZY?? NO. It makes you smart.5. Windows a hassle? Please. Windows is less work and therefore LESS HASSLE. See 4. Now, you may say that Windows is a hassle because of spyware, viruses, trojans, whatever. Well, this is a STUPID arguement. Let's say Linux suddenly became the dominant player in the market. Hackers, spyware and stuff would OBVIOUSLY target Linux. Suddenly windows would be the "safer" alternative. You might say that Linux is open source and they will find security holes quicker. Well, that will be of little consolation to a company that had already been hacked. Quicker doesn't mean instantaneous. The other thing is, the user has to actually UPDATE the comptuer in order for the fix to work. Since I am actually talking about home users, I'm sure you will agree, most home users do not update their computers.6. $229? Why don't you jack the price up to $500 like when it first came out? The price is meaningless. XP OEM comes with computers and even if you didn't want it, you will not get any money back. So, if you buy a computer and it comes with XP, does it really cost you $229? NO. The actual cost of a Windows XP OEM is somewhere under $35 for consumers. And yes, I am talking about the Dell's, IBM's and big box stores like bestbuy and circuit city. Most home users buy their comptuers from these places which means most home users get XP bundled as OEM. They don't actually go out and buy XP for $229 or whatever your ridiculously high price is.Summary- Linux gang is like the Al qaeda, they are extremists. MS=USA and must be destroyed. There is no middle ground.- I don't have issue with Linux. I have issue with people who say Linux is the best and MS is useless. It is not. Everything depends on the user and the market

Lets see.... IBM gave linux with their pcs, there is a 300 or 400 dollar laptop that gives linux on every system with NO OPTIONS, they sell fine, ummm Dell is getting ready to sell desktop computers with linux on it, this goes to show, yes there are big companies giving out linux with or on their systems....go and check out this laptop and tell me I cant name these things...http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Linux is making its way....Linux isnt dissing on anyone, it is true, people are lazy with windows and its a fact people have to face due to the fact that there is no work in using windows other than minor problems. If anything, that OS makes you a little dumber because your not thinking about what your doing therefore your using less of your brain making it just got patuy.....Also, you talk about linux dissing windows, what about bill gates talking about how linux isnt fair...Doesnt that sound childish for a billionaire to whine and say, itssss noottttt faiiirrrr they give their OS away for free while ours is too much money.....durrrrr....It is easier for us teens (im 15) to use linux because it doesnt cost money that we cant get, thats why piracy is getting spread more due to the fact the government takes our working rights away and makes us wait forever to get a job so therefore we cant buy a 200 dollar OS. Linux is just a much more convenient way to go since it is free and is just a much cooler and much more stable OS. I know you want to argue this and fight for Gates but windows is just a system that is considered good due to its ability to play anything and everything made....Linux is a system for people to learn and expand their minds and get a better idea about computers and scripting and command prompts....Linux is just one of those things that you have to be willing to learn to use it, and alot of windows users dont want to learn to do such a thing or take the time to use it which is sad when you learn sooo much and can do the same things you do on windows only in a different way... :)

these posts are too long and frankly, I don't really care that much about the topic. It is just a good way to get some hosting credits... Don't bother explaining to me why linux is better than windows. I've been using unix systems and linux systems for a long time (at least 10 years). I'll just state my main point again. I am not supporting bill gates, I am not supporting linux. I support the CORRECT operating system for the CORRECT application. I am taking issue with linux users who "diss" windows just because they are too wrapped up in their high and mighty linux complex to see that linux is NOT FOR EVERYONE.Get it? Don't bother me with Linux propoganda... it is NOT the best, it DOES crash, and frankly... only computer nerds use Linux. Try finding me a person who isn't a computer nerd that has heard of Linux and actually CAREs it exists.

See now thats what I understand....It depends on what you are trying or wanting to do on your machine.....If you want to run a free webserver or something in that such, use linux/unix....If you want to do a gaming related thing or you just want a system that is set for you to get on the internet or to play games or do the basic functions, windows is for you.....Its not worth going into an argument over something that no one is right....Both OS's have their good, both have their bads....lol so we both win i guess....