xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FirefoxRocks

Windows Live Onecare

I am trying trial versions of various anti-virus/security software and my first one was Windows Live OneCare 1.5. I think that it is a very good piece of software that should be included with Windows (for 90 days?) It works much better than the Windows Firewall and also has other functions in addition to the regular Anti-virus, Firewall and Spyware scanners.

In my opinions, Windows Live OneCare is an excellent program for beginner computer users with the easy-to-use interface as well as visually attractive appearance. It also blocks un-verified (Microsoft's verification list) programs automatically and lets you choose if you allow it or not. :P

The program includes a backup utility and tune-up, much like the Windows Live Safety Scanner. It also enables phishing protection in Internet Explorer 7 and checks for updates to Windows as well as other Microsoft programs frequently. Tune-up can indicate whether your computer is at risk (red), fair (yellow) or good (green). :)

From personal experience, the tune-up feature works excellent and unobtrusively. What's annoying is that you may have to restart your computer otherwise it will turn red and say At Risk because updates could not be downloaded or checked. Also, ports are able to be blocked by the firewall, but blocking IP addresses (individual or range) cannot be done in this version. It may be included in the next version (2.0). :| :ph34r:

On Wikipedia, it says that this firewall does not adhere to industrial firewall standards. I have no clue what that means but it seems to be working fine for me. Also, a Windows Live ID is required for this software to work. I think that shouldn't be a problem with I think that everyone has Windows Live Mail and would benefit with a Windows Live ID anyways. :P

With other security software companies, as well as test results, Windows Live OneCare has been placed (near) last in the tests. It failed to detect 100% of viruses, and came in overall security with a disappointing 87%. Microsoft Security Team has stated that other security software companies will soon need to "catch up to them". We'll see about that with the updates and future releases coming out. :P

This is the first software that I tested. I don't know if I'll buy it or not after 90 days. I am planning to test more software after the trial period. Tell me what you think about Windows Live OneCare!

I'm not even going to try it, it's probably as annoying as the Safety Center (that's why I disabled it and I disable windows from checking signatures).I suppose you're using it on XP, because Vista has a back-up utility included and phising protection is included in IE7 too.I do have a question about the firewall. Does it also ask when 'unknown' program want to go out or not ? About the IP blocking, the windows firewall allows you to specificaly block IP adresses.So, no LOC for me :ph34r:

I really think that the the firewall of windows sucks..it does not give you any freedom on how to really configure the firewallall you do is to allow this and deny this and that but nothing more. also their anti spyware software that they bought from GIANT goes to waste they should have leave it to GIANT to develop that good software

This is the classic microsoft problem...they write a buggy, vulnerable operating system, and now they want to SELL you software to keep the system stable? Talk about a scam...that's like buying a car, then being charged extra for the *required* seat belts. Why can't they just fix the damn operating system to make it harder for spyware and viruses to propagate and infect?

I haven't tried Microsoft Windows Live OneCare yet, but I have read about it in PC User Australia (May 2007 edition).

Oh boy, this will take long to type . . . (All credits to PC User Australia.)

(Satisfaction rating: 60%)

PRICE: $99 (THREE PCs FOR ONE YEAR)

PHONE: 13 20 58

WEB: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows

This month we took their latest offerings from Microsoft and Kaspersky and put them to the test on a Windows Vista system that was heavily infected with over 400 "in the wild" viruses, backdoors and Trojans. Windows Live OneCare installation took about 10 minutes. A single reboot was required and program updates were automatically downloaded during the installation. After restarting, OneCare alerted us to the fact that the PC was at risk. The firewall kicked in and asked about a few spyware applications trying to connect to the Net. Enabling virus and spyware monitoring was flagged as urgent, but when we tried to enable it, Windows declared that an unknown problem was preventing the settings from being accessed. We tried running a scan, only to be informed that another process was preventing the operation. After a voluntary reboot, however, everything sorted out. OneCare had found several virus and spyware infections. After running a full scan a few more infections were also removed successfully. Overall, the process took about 2 hours to stabilise the system. Unfortunately, out follow-up virus scan from another vendor discovered 320 of our 430 viruses and other infections remanining. It's no the most thorough security suite and lacks antispam protection and support for Web browsers other than Internet Explorer, but it does include some bonus performance tuning and backup tools.

- Daniel Winter

PC User says: Although easy to install and use, it has poor antispyware and antivirus scanning.

Despite with what I said before, I trust that the magazine was right to say the above. :ph34r:

I have to say that it is quite cheap compared to the leading security thingomobobbies.

The firewall is good, it asks you if you want to Allow, Block or Allow this time if the program connecting is updated or unknown.An annoying thing of Windows Live OneCare is that you have to restart your computer approximately every day. If you don't, the status will be Red and it comes up that:Windows Live OneCare could not download required updates for your computer. Please restart your computer. If the problem persists, contact Windows Live OneCare help.After a reboot, it will be fine though. My trial period is past the halfway mark, I'll be trying a new security suite in The Quest for Internet Security.

This came out a few months ago but according to PC World (http://www.pcworld.com/), Microsoft One Care is the worst antivirus product you can buy. From http://www.pcworld.com/article/129521/article.html

Microsoft's Windows Live OneCare came in dead last out of a group of 17 antivirus programs tested against hundreds of thousands of worms, viruses, Trojan horses and other malware, an Austrian antivirus researcher reported Wednesday.

The best antivirus according to this report is Data Security's AntiVirusKit (AVK) (at 99.5%) which uses both the Kaspersky and Avast! engines. Microsoft came in dead last by only detecting 82.4 of the test viruses. The research firm that conducted these tests is av-comparatives.org which at no surprise can be found at av-comparatives.org. These results were from the February 2007 test and can be directly found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.