xisto Community
Bảo Tuấn

Avg Free Vs Avast! Free

I prefer Avast over AVG, altough AVG might be better (as said in this report http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ -btw, the reviewed versions are the pro version, but I guess there won't be any difference in the scanning engine-) .
What I realy do like about Avast is the it shows me every mail it scans (so I can see who send me a mail, it's almost like it's a POP3 checker ;) ), it can block URLs (no more intellitext advertisements ;) ) and it has a descent scanning enginge. Downside of Avast is that it uses quite some memory (especialy if you use every engine (resident, mail (pop3, smtp, application independant), outlook, p2p, chat, web (scans everything that passes certain ports) and network(intrusion detection)), but you can safely work with only resident, mail or outlook and web.

i prefer avg over avast because i have founs avast as not able to detect viruses or trojans as effectively avg , many times i found that avast was not detecting virus ,but again its that i had used avast forn a very short period probably for a month or so only

Ever since I've stopped using Mcafee, I have AVG on my computer. If you can handle a pop-up ad once every day trying to convince you to purchase the 'pro' version when the AVG updates itself, then AVG is a safe choice.

I think AVG wins 'cause I get update everyday! and I didn't even heard of Avast

Actually, avast! does get a daily update too.

I have both AVG Free and avast! Free on my computer, and I'd have to say AVG's better. It is able to find problems that avast! can't find, and AVG doesn't have any useless frills (like skins) that uses more hard disk space. But if you have the space, just get both. Having more anti-virus programs doesn't hurt. XD

Serena

I think AVG wins 'cause I get update everyday! and I didn't even heard of Avast

Avast receives dialy updates too (sometimes even twice a day ! )

A loyal user of AVG here, love it for its reliability and constant update. However it doesn't solve all of your problems >< sometimes there seems to be viruses that were unable to be detected by AVG which kinda annoy me, so my suggestion is, install both! Its free anyway =P unless your PC is at the lower end, i don't think that these two softwares will conflict with each other :P

No words to say...I had a really bad experience with AVG for 1 year.AVG could not even repair the windows parisite worm... It would delete my important application .exe(s) (now thats too lame)Avast Home Ed is definately a lot LOT better than AVG.Avast has this thing called VRDB - Virus Recovery DatabaseI am not sure how it does it but... it backups important parts of files like executables which can be affected by viruses.

AVG or Avast? If I'm not mistaken, AntiVir is free too and scores much higher on AV comparison tests.

For those who speak Dutch:
https://tweakers.net/nieuws/47805/detectiekwaliteit-onecare-gaat-langzaam-vooruit.html
(still a chart you can read though)

For those who speak English (the .pdf report of the company):
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Quite good test actually. AVG scores quite horrendously low. As just a user you can't really test the detection schemes properly yourself.

Tested both for awhile. Used AVG Free edition just after converting from Norton and quite like it. (Not only its free) :P It's quite lightweight and has a powerful scanning engine where after converting from Norton, it found other trojan that Norton didn't detect. Daily auto updates of virus database. However after used Avast, Found out that its even better. Has 7 different specific types of protection where I could tune. Normally would want to set the highest protection for email and I could specifically set for that. Cheers

I had briefly evaluated both of them about 2 years ago. I then went for AVG. I have been using AVG for the last 2 years and I have found that it does a pretty good job. I would go with AVG as it has worked for me for quite some time now.

I think AVG is the better choice.My friend was running avast! for a while and it seemed to be doing the job but something wasn't right. I was always partial to AVG so I suggested it to her and poof! AVG found 27 torjans that avast! didn't. AVG all the way

1...Avast is not bad! but I don't see it working much either! its LIGHT... And updates

2... When I used AVG it slowed down my comp... But at that time I had mcafee at the same time![----friend suggested you shouldnt have more than 1 A-V software-----]

3... I heard AVG is good. I think ill try after I read AVG found 27 torjans that avast! didn't