xisto Community
jimmy89

No Music Playing Windows Vista, no sounds, nothing

Hi,I have recently bought the new version windows vista and installed it on my laptop! works great! except for the sound, i cannot get anything to play!!i can install the sound card drivers fine, no problems there, it says everything works. The volume is at 100% and all the program sliders are full too!!but still, nothing plays! whats my problem?thanks for your help-jimmy

Chances are your driver is not the correct one. Lately, those newer notebook, the driver are very fussy. You can look under the manufacturer's download section, or find out what's the brand and model of the onboard sound chip, then download the driver from the chipset manufacturer.

Make sure it is set to the correct device (volume mixer, top left).Or rather, go to control panel ยป SoundAnd make sure the correct device has been set, and in case anything is displayed there that could indicate something is amiss. In case you use soundMAX integrated digital HD audio, select the speakers. I can only be more specific about this when you are more specific on which card you have with which drivers and what is displayed there in the Sound control panel.

the sound card is a Realtek AC'97 on board. also if i didn't mention before, this is on a laptop! i have tried installing the drivers that came with the computer (the ones on the install cd), ive tried the chipset drivers (downloaded from the realtek site) and even tried the drivers from windows update. none of these have worked at all!i should also go into more detail about the problem also! the speaker icon in the tray is showing and there is no mute or error symbols either! the mixer is up full 100% and the device is set as 'Speakers (Realtek AC'97 Audio)'. the device manager is not reporting any errors and says 'this device is working properly'.when i attempt to play something (i'll use WMP11 as an example) the program loads, the song starts, the play button turns to the pause button, but nothing happens, no sound and also, the song counter doesn't tick over (as if the song isn't playing) also the scroll bar that follows the song progress isn't moving!thanks for your help so far-jimmy

Sorry I can't help, I've never used Vista at all so I can't. But I just would like to note that this is yet another reason why Windows XP is still the best ;)Sounds like your Media Player is not working. Try using Real Player or something else as a test.

Edited by SilverFox (see edit history)

i have tried using Windows Media Player and the media player that came with the drivers, neither worked! but i am going to try iTunes and RealPlayer soon to see if they can do anything! the mute button that I have on my computer only changes the mute feature in windows, so its not really a 'physical' mute button!thanks-jimmy

Try removing that sound card entry from your Device Manager and restart the laptop. It should auto install the driver if I'm correct. See if there is sound now. If not, give the High Definition drivers a try:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I recommend creating a restore point just in case something goes wrong. Vista should have some kind of driver rollback feature as well if this doesn't work either.

i have tried removing the entry from the device manager and it does auto install at reboot but his still doesn't work! im downloading the HD drivers now to see if they will work! i havent yet tried another media player yet, but i think its a different problem to that because not even the system sounds are playing, like the login and logout effects.

Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

UPDATE:I have tried the HD drivers, when I install them and restart the computer, I get a message in the taskbar that says 'No audio output device is installed' and there is the red cross on the audio symbol. When looking in the Device Manager, the device has an exclamation symbol next to it and there is a Code 10 error 'The device cannot start'. This has also happened for the AC'97 drivers that I downloaded from the Realtek site. It seems that any new drivers (for the Vista platform) aren't working and cause problems, the pre-vista drivers (ones made from WinXP) install and look ok (no errors) won't play sound though.I can confirm that the sound DOES work on vista, I have a logitech usb headphone and tried that, worked fine - so I know that sound works. Also, the speakers do work, they were working fine in XP, they have also worked in Win2K and Fedora Core 6.I have downloaded iTunes 7.1 and i am having the same problems with the audio. The song looks like its playing, the play icon turns to the pause symbol, the small speaker next to the song in the playlist has the 'sound bars' but the timer (that counts how long the song has been playing for) and the scroll bar doesn't change nor move, they act as if the song isn't playing at all! i dont understand this?Could this be a problem with my Vista installation or is it still the drivers? ;) Thank you so much for your help so far,-jimmyP.S, Sorry about the double post

What kind of laptop do you have (brand and model number)? Did you check the laptop manufacturer's website to see if they have released an updated sound driver to work in Vista?

The Laptop is an Acer Aspire 3003WLC. I have gone to the acer website and downloaded the XP drivers, they dont have vista drivers available yet!. They have also not worked! I'm note sure what to do next i must have tried almost everything!Thanks-jimmyEDIT: The Realtek site has Vista drivers, but they haven't worked either, and i haven't been able to contact acer yet about vista drivers