xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ROFL

Good Paint Programs?

Yeaaaaa, I Have Gimp, MSPaint [Obviously], And Macromedia FireworksI Need A New One, Although Fireworks Is Pretty Good I Need To Save As Something BESIDES .PNGAnd Anyone Know Where To Get These Programs Free?o,oCuz So Many Are Like... $500 And $700I Need Something Good That Isnt A Trial For About...$00.00?Tnx ;]

It would help if you explained which file format you need to save something in.
Check out Download.com for suggestions. If that isn't the category you're looking for (above link), select another one and remember to sort by Free license. That way you don't have to pay $500-$700 for good software, you only see free ones. ;)

I hate time-limited trials too, feature-disabled trials aren't too bad but I still prefer free and open-source.

I know yEd Graph Editor is good for creating SVG images.

I don't see why you would need another image editing program if you have The GIMP already. If you don't want to spend money for another program, The GIMP is probably the best one of them out there. It will need some getting use, but once you know where things are, it should be simple to use. From what I found, it supports many types of files already (editing and saving wise):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP

So which format is it that you want?

You can take a look at VCW VicMan's Photo Editor, but I doubt it will be to your liking if you are a avid image editor:

http://www.vicman.net/vcwphoto/

Like FirefoxRocks mentioned earlier, some of these will be feature limited. In this case, this one is free but has limitations.

Uhh... As It Goes Towards The File Type... Simple Images Like .Gif And .JPGNothing Extroridinary Like .Rar Or Something Like That,,Im A Noob At This Computing Stuff And I Appreciate That Atleast On These Forums People Help You And Dont Just Yell At You To Look Through The Forums,

.rar is a archieve compression format like .zip. Not an image format.Basically there is GIMP and Photoshop. If you can't or don't want to buy Photoshop, use GIMP. Now that the LWZ patent has expired in most countries, saving to .GIF shouldn't be a problem and JPEG has never been a problem with GIMP.Now GIMP is NOT photoshop nor comes close to replacing PS. But it does argueable do something better. I prefer the lens flare effects from GIMP over Photoshop so I tend to use both. That being said, I use PS with various KODAK filters for restoring pictures every day. But then again that IS my business so...

You can't wield a big sword if it's too heavy for you. While Adobe Photoshop is capable of doing more, they're hardly features you as an amateur will scratch. It would be easier for you to work with a program like GIMP or Paintshop pro which are a bit easier to understand.It doesn't matter how good or powerful something is if you struggle too hard to learn how to use it.

Oh hey, my friend told me about this program called "Paint.NET", I think it's pretty easy to use but then it doesn't come with many features. Of course, Photoshop is the best. :ph34r: But I think if I had it mysteriously stolen from me, I'd switch to Paint.NET. G/L with finding a good paint program!

Paint.NET is quite nice. My dad downloaded it and I've used it once or twice--it seems like an improvement on MSPaint (a rather large improvement, though, mind you.) Now, of course, besides Paint.NET, everything basically boils down to two choices: the GIMP or Photoshop. If you had money, I'd definitely recommend Photoshop (it's the greatest!) If you lack money (which seems to be obvious from your post), then I'd suggest just downloading the GIMP. Since you already seem to have the GIMP, if you are still unsatisfied, perhaps you could try Paint.NET. But I do think that the GIMP has more features than Paint.NET, so it'd be rather pointless for you to do so.

I dont know if this is relevant to what you are asking but I believe that the best paint program out there would be photoshop. It provide brushes from basic to advance to even custom if you know how to use the program enough. I mainly use photoshop for any paint related project. And as the means for getting the program I am sure that you could always ask a co-worker that you work in the field with Im sure its a pretty easy program to get a hands on. I think a majority of the internet knows how to or know of the program photoshop. So if you havent loooked into photoshop already you should take sometime to take a look at what it has to offer and its features.