xisto Community
Quatrux

Swift Browser Windows webkit based browser

Swift is a pretty good browser. However, using .NET is not the best approach IMO. I think the developer should just port it to C++ instead as KHTML uses C++ when it was written for UNIX.In the current version, the browser doesn't support wheel-scrolling, which can get really annoying if the page is huge.Other than that, some customizations/extensions will be great, but the engine of choice is great, I love KHTML too.It's looking like a bright future for the Swift team!xboxrulz

Dont you guys know about other browsers with different graphics engines...I read somewhere above that all the current browsers, except swift, are using the same graphics engine. This could not be true. I thought they were different. How could Firefox be the same as IE,,or Opera as FF. It gave me a shock. I hope the guys of swift finish their work. If I had money I would give them some, if it would help, because it seems it is a matter of action, and not a matter of viability. Cheers..

IE uses the Trident engine, Firefox uses the Gecko Engine, Opera uses the Presto engine, Swift uses KHTML engine.

xboxrulz

Sorry,,for my ignorance,,but then, what is swift different from all the others. I think there is one thing that all the before mentioned browsers share, and that the swift browser uses...I might be wrong but that is what I understood from some readings...Cheerss

Apple is using KHTML for their Safari web browser, but they remade it a bit and called it Webkit, anyway, don't know if anyone knows yet, but I just saw that Safari is ported to Windows, you can get the public beta by going to apple dot com downloads and downloading it.. Well, it is good that they are porting it, but I never liked using MacOS GUI on Windows, that is way I hate Quick Time on Windows and etc. I installed the public beta of Safari for windows and I didn't have any problems, it is quite fast and sometimes slow, what do you want it is in a beta stage.

Download Safari web browser for Windows

In my opinion, I would rather see Swift as Webkit browser for Windows, even though it is using .NET, nor do I like it, but for me it is better than MacOS GUI on Windows and as I know on Vista .NET applications run much faster.. The best thing which could happen in my opinion, is creating a browser for Windows using the windows port of Webkit and creating a GUI with C++ and QT, even though that is much harder to accomplish and takes more time, but it is much better, due to those browsers won't go to far on Windows and IE, FF and Opera will be the main browsers for Windows users, we will see, but seems to me there are to many browsers <_< somebody better create a better IRC client for Windows using C++ and QT, due to XChat is slow, mIRC sucks and others I tried also sucks :P

Edited by Quatrux (see edit history)