xisto Community
DAC1138

39 Megapixel Camera: Is It Worth Is?

I do not see much point in having a 39MegaPixel camera. Yes, Benfromsac does have a point when he says the difference, however small, is just noticable, I don't think the small difference these would make when viewed at a size other than 50x50 feet would be very easy to notice.

The amount of megapixels is only part of the equation. You need good lenses, of course. The CCD (I believe that's what it's called) the part that captures the image itself needs to be high quality. I saw a guy's cell phone camera with 2 megapixels compared to a regular point and shoot at 2 megapixels, and the point and shoot had a better lens and CCD, therefore came out with a much nicer picture, despite the same megapixel size.Above all else, you need a good photographer handling your 39 megapixel beauty :)

I find it a bit odd that the OP states that his 10 MP is "good enough" but then goes on to indicate that film is better. Thus it seems logical that aquiring a better resolution is a good thing. Let's factor in digital photo manipulation as well. When manipulating images more pixels are always better, assuming your machine can handle it.

Yeah post production with a +39 is probably easy to remove blemishes and other artifacts, but the processing overhead must be a lot, not to mention the time required when your are editing. I did a wedding in the evening with 10MP DSLR recently. The noise was adequate for the using an external flash+diffuser bouncing off the ceiling. When I was editing them in the PC it seemed okay for web posting and viewing on a monitor but when they were sent out to print they had all sorts of artifacts going on.I had to go back to the jpegs. Debate creating a new jpeg from the original or take the time with the RAW file (I don't have the best PC for handling 10MP RAW files). I then analyzed my work flow and tried to eliminate certain steps I did not need, don't go to bold on the S-Curves (cause the pictures were dark), and setup my monitor to closely mimics the color lab's output, I then had plan on compensated for the loss of sharpness and quality by introducing various types of noise before finally saving.I'm sure a higher mega pixel camera would of definitely helped provided I had a good post editing machine. I'd settle for any Hasselblad camera. ;)

39 Megapixel Camera: Is It Worth Is?39 Megapixel Camera: Is It Worth Is?

Allright, let me start by saying this question could be answered far more easily if you had any photographic knowledge. There are three types of cameras that use NEGATIVE imagine that ;) each larger than the other 35mm, mid format, and large format. Difference being in the amount of detail its negative can capture due to it;s size and the size of recording dots (so to speak to make connection between digital and film). The 10 to now 24mpx standard is more than enough for prints up too 1m wide. But in general they are meant to be used as amateur and enthusiast art cameras, also professional sports photography, photo journalism (due to their resistance to everything and portable size) etc. 

Mid and large format cameras capture far more detail than 35mm film, therefor best used for landscapes, portraits, architecture etc. I have also seen a lot of street photographers using them. They are not meant to be portable or to make any sense to passers by nor to make you look good (as one of the replyers said he would be ashamed... For what ever the reason that might be). I could go on and on about the size and why does it matter, but to put it bluntly for portraits you will get a far shallower depth of field due to sensor/negative size, for landscapes at prints of 2 or 3m wide (most likely art gallery prints or wealthy and dedicated enthusiasts) you will be able to count leafs on a tree ;) with a 10mpx just enough camera you would get satisfying amount of detail but also a lot would be lost. 

This is just a blunt answer and I'm not proud of it, but you're on the internet use google on next few things if you really are interested:

Medium format camera, Large format camera, depth of field in photography, large format camera lenses (you will find just how much these cameras aren;t meant for moving without knowing exactly what and where do you want to shoot).

Even tho I concentrated most of my answer based on Lformat, think of Hassel 39mpx med format camera as what its name says something in the middle. It will capture a far greater amount of detail than a regular slr, and is as portable as one even tho a bit bulkier. 

cheers

-reply by Streetg