xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
foolakadugie

Firefox 2 Problem: Save Link firefox 1.5 would save link on alt + click. Feature removed?

In previous versions of Firefox there was a feature that I used very often. When a link was clicked while holding the alt key, it would automatically download the linked file to my hard disk. It seems that this hasn't worked since installing the the newest release. Is this feature still available, maybe with a different key command? Maybe one of my extensions is causing a bug. Does it work for anyone else? If not does anyone know of an extension/about:config edit/hack that could restore this functionality? I always found it to be very intuitive and helpful. Ctrl + click (open link in new tab) still works, so I am confused as to why alt + click doesn't. I know that I can still use the right click context menu to do the same but this can be cumbersome, especially if you are downloading a whole list of links. Also, the alt + click command would skip the open with/save to disk/etc prompts and just download it to my default directory (desktop).

Edited by foolakadugie (see edit history)

Alt + Click does'nt save anymore, in forefox 2 for me. I didnt know the info that if you do 'ctrl+click' you go to a new tab.. (thanks) it sure is a faster way.. Also I have noticed, that the HTTPS sites are cached for way too long. Hence visiting again sites which require the certificates to be accepted, are not viewable. Especially in credit card transactions I find a lot of issue. I generally turn to opera, when firefox behaves funny. Do any one else has the same experience ?

Alt + Click does'nt save anymore, in forefox 2 for me. I didnt know the info that if you do 'ctrl+click' you go to a new tab.. (thanks) it sure is a faster way..
Also I have noticed, that the HTTPS sites are cached for way too long. Hence visiting again sites which require the certificates to be accepted, are not viewable. Especially in credit card transactions I find a lot of issue. I generally turn to opera, when firefox behaves funny. Do any one else has the same experience ?

When searching for a solution I found a site about the alt click being a security issue, since javascript could potentially save a file to a users hard drive without any prompt, so maybe that is why it was removed.

As far as the https issue goes, have you tried going to Tools > Clear Private Data (ctrl + shift + del) before using the secured site? I personally haven't had any problems with https sites so far.

As far as the https issue goes, have you tried going to Tools > Clear Private Data (ctrl + shift + del) before using the secured site? I personally haven't had any problems with https sites so far.

yes I tried that, does'nt work. I specially get these when viewing source forge HTTPS pages. I am interested to know if thats with anyone else too. I have a linux machine, with firefox 2.0.0.1..

I haven't had that problem yet with firefox 2.0.0.1 Sometimes, a reinstall cures problems with firefox. I've had several other issues in the past with firefox 2 such as nonfunctioning tabs, scrambled data, etc. Each time, a reinstall solved the problem. Sometimes, it just depends on your luck since software is rarely perfect in every way. Of course it would be helpful to know what OS your computer is running and/or any patches that may have been installed into the system

It's strange how both of you say that the Alt+Click combination isn't working any more, since it downloads the page for me, though without additional (image) files. Now, I don't know whether you are using version 2.0.0.1 (was there a 2.0.0.0?), but if you aren't, try updating Firefox. If that's not the case, I guess a re-install would be a good idea.

It's strange how both of you say that the Alt+Click combination isn't working any more, since it downloads the page for me, though without additional (image) files. Now, I don't know whether you are using version 2.0.0.1 (was there a 2.0.0.0?), but if you aren't, try updating Firefox. If that's not the case, I guess a re-install would be a good idea.

When I made this thread I was having some other problems that I didn't quite realize at the time. The other day I solved it. My downloads.rdf file was corrupt and even a reinstall wouldn't fix it. It was causing all kinds of problems, but it is all fixed now and alt + click works again.WOO YAY! Edited by foolakadugie (see edit history)

When I made this thread I was having some other problems that I didn't quite realize at the time. The other day I solved it. My downloads.rdf file was corrupt and even a reinstall wouldn't fix it. It was causing all kinds of problems, but it is all fixed now and alt + click works again.WOO YAY!

nice thing.. i was also confuse when i start to read your topic since i never lost that feature though i hate that alt + click.

about the HTTPS issue, i use to have that one but cant remember when it got fixed. firefox automatically updates itself on my setting and it always work for me using IE tab to visit HTTPS site when i got that bug.

There are some strange thing i notice from the last 3 patches from firefox2. issues regarding ajax.. i hope they got fixed soon.

Ajax and https work fine on http://www.opera.com/ as well as lots of stuff FF doesn't.

I also use opera sometimes; however, there are many thing I do prefer in firefox.

I have to say that Opera does much better interface design and the built-in torrent

client is also nice. Many things that opera does can be achieved with extensions in firefox.

I use firefox more because there are many extensions that I use for my work all the time

and I am very accustomed to the key commands in FF.