xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Grafitti

Office 2007 Document Problems

How to reduce size of ppt in compatibility mode?Office 2007 Document Problems

Hi..I prepared a ppt in MS 2007 format which was of 1 MB . I saved it in  MS 97-2003 compatibility mode  for sharing as others may not have MS 2007. However the size has increased 10 times to 10 MB making it difficult to share.

Is there a way to have a smaller file compatible with earlier versions of MS?

Thanks

I might have found a solution for Office 2003, but your mileage may vary....Office 2007 Document Problems

I had this problem the other way around, I couldn't open documents created in Office 2007 with Office 2003 even after installing & reinstalling the File Format Converter from Microsoft, this happened with Word & Excel.

After wasting hours reading lots of posts through the web, deleting normal.Dot, then reinstalling Office, messing with windows registry, nothing worked.

Until out of desperation I checked the services running under Windows XP and found that the service named WebClient was on manual and not running, so I initialised the service and then suddenly all Office files opened and saved flawlessly (2003 & 2007), now I don't know if this service is the only one directly responsible for this behaviour or if additional services need to be running in order Office to properly open and save documents.

But here's the solution that worked for me: 

Execute services.Msc 

Look for a service called : WebClient

Check wether the service is running, if not initialise it, and make sure its default settings are set to Automatic so it starts whenever you start your PC, Click Ok .

Now try to open & save Office documents, and see if it works, it did for me.

Like most services on WinXP the description for this service is so generic that it almost makes no sense:

Enables Windows-based programs to create, access, and modify Internet-based files. If this service is stopped, these functions will not be available. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

One of the reasons I still miss Windows 95 and I don't like Windows NT, 2000, XP or Vista one bit, I've already installed Ubuntu and OpenOffice and I'm seriosly considering dumping PCs and Windows in favor of Macs

Hope that helps...

-reply by Byros

Re: How to reduce size of ppt in compatibility mode?Office 2007 Document Problems

Try saving not in ppt, but in pps...

The "show" version - so as soon as the user double clicks the file, it opens a show directly, and does not open the application. 

-reply by Robert

problem opening word docs Office 2007 Document Problems

hi guys,

when I try to open a word attachment in my outlook I can preview the doc but when I try to open it I just get a blue screen, then when I try to close it I get an error message saying that "word has stopped working"

Can annyone help

-question by harry

Office 2007 Document Problems / I might have found a solution for Office 2003, but your mileage may vary....Office 2007 Document Problems

Thanks to Byros for that very useful post

8/9/2009: I had a sudden problem with office 2007 on Vista with sp2...Could not open most .Doc files.  Word would crash during the opening process and I would have to manually kill it.

Indeed, as Byros suggested, my "Webclient" service was stopped, it was even set to "disabled".  Restarting it and setting it to "automatic" fixed the problem right away.

Thank you Byros

-reply by Michael

click on xlsx file and have to navigate to it to open itOffice 2007 Document Problems

I installed Excel 2007 and now when I click on an .Xlsx file Excel opens up; however, I have to navigate to where the file is located and click on file to see it.

Any ideas? 

Word 2007 previewer errorOffice 2007 Document Problems

Word 2007 does not support text effects, but I read that documents with text effects would keep them if opened in Word 2007.  I recently opened such a document, and since then each time the Open dialog box is displayed and a document selected, a message appears on the right:

"This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Word Previewer"

Is it curable? 

-question by Jean Elliott

Word Previewer ErrorOffice 2007 Document Problems

I have the same problem.  Actually Word will preview Excel docs, but gives me the error message with Word docs;  Excel previews Word docs, but gives me the error message with Excel docs.

I suspect it is malware of some sort (perhaps embedded in that text file you opened).  If it is malware, I have been unable to detect/remove it.

Hopefully I'm wrong and someone out there has an answer/fix.

Paul

Printing problems with Office 2007Office 2007 Document Problems

Hi,

After installing Office 2007 last year, I suddenly experienced random printing problems.

In Excel the page often prints only the second vertical half of the page, right from the edge of the paper, leaving the right side of the paper blank. It also sometimes happens in Word. But it does so randomly. Sometimes the printing is perfect.

Can anybody help?

Carina Ghyoot

-question by Carina Ghyoot

I installed MS Office in Win 7

but Preview doesn't work in Open dialog window in Word 2007

The error is "This file can't be previewed because of an error in the Microsoft Office Word Previewer"

Pls. Some inform me how to fix it

-reply by RAFIQ