xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xboxrulz1405241485

Reddening Of Laptop Lcd Screen

Hey all!

I have a Samsung NV5000 laptop, and it's been in operation for around 7 years (you've read it correctly, if u dun believe ur eyes, read it again.)

However, something strange happens to my LCD screen whenever the screen sleeps and then wakes up. Suddenly it just reddens up :s, then a few seconds later, it turns back to normal colours. However, when compared to other laptops (a little newer ones), it's fairly dimmer (even on brightest setting).

Posted Image

Does anyone know what's causing this? and is this a bad thing?

(and no, I didn't photoshop my laptop like this. Also my camera's lens is fine.)

Thanks,

xboxrulz

I have never heard of this happening before. I've done a little bit of research and have not found a clear answer. People have tried switching monitors and video cards to no avail. Here is the forum I was looking at. No one specifies whether or not they are having this issue with LCD screens or CRT. I would expect it more from the tube monitors. I can't be sure if it will get worse but just be happy that it only happens for short intervals. :) Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Does it do this when hooked up to an extrenal monitor? If so, then there is something goofy with your video card. My guess, however, is that a wire between the LCD and graphics card maybe loose. Especially if the connection is going through the hing. The other possibility would be that the LCD itself is on the last legs. If it's 7 years old then hardware failure is a likely cause. However, my money would be on a loose wire between the graphics card and dislay.

Older and some modern LCD screens use cold white cathode as a backlight source.Sadly, cold cathodes will loose its brightness and it will cause either to go dim or display amber or reddish color. You can rule out your graphics card failure by plugging in an external monitor--you'll see a normal color status.You can replace your cold cathode backlight or upgrade to LED white lights. Either way this step will require you to open and replace components.

I think BuffaloHELP may be correct 'cuz definitely not a cable error, 'cuz I don't experience that "loose cable effect" nor does my external plug going haywire since I connect my school's projector to it and it works.Thanks for your help, at least I know what's going on. I think I'll just wait until I can get a new laptop instead, since this is an old one, and apparently it's starting to go out.xboxrulz

Just want to add that it's definitely the backlight that Buffalo was referring to. I was reading up on this earlier since my laptop is also having a backlight issue. Instead of having a different color though, my entire screen is blank or flickering even though I see the information in the background if I look at the LCD at an angle.Love to fix things....so you betcha I'm going to replace that backlight for my laptop :)

Well I've had similar problems in the past. Once with a Logic board (ie video card on a Mac) and in my Titanium powerbook when I broke a hinge. (Stupid me knocked it off the ledge of my couch...luckly hit plush carpet, but not plush enough...)Again, at 7 years, it's had a good life, time to move on and start saving for the new one.