xisto Community
jimmy89

Wireless Network Not Connecting

Hi,I have just reinstalled windows 2k on my laptop and have been trying to connect to my wireless network. I have managed to get the wireless adapter to connect to the computer (it has power and the computer recognizes it) and the software that comes with the card can see the AP. when i try to connect to the AP nothing happens. i am not able to connect to anything, no pings, no network, no internet!the wireless card is a Netgear Wg511v2 and the AP is a D-Link DI-524. Would this be a problem with the software on the computer? i have managed to connect to this same network using the same card using windows xp (using the Zero Config Utility).Thanks-jimmy

I had the same problems different system and wifi router, but it should work eitherway. What you need to do is download an updated firmware then after that turn everything off including your main connection.

Then wait 3-4 minutes turn your mainline back on then your computer then your wifi connection. Next do a automatic detection of your connection it should pick up your main line connection and you should be set. If this don't work then follow this guide from netgears.

Troubleshooting Steps
1. Connect your computer directly to the modem, without the router. If you cannot access the Internet, contact your ISP.
2. Reconnect the router, modem, and computer as they were before Step 1. Can you log on to the router? If not then:
1. Check that all cables attached to the router and computer are secure.
2. Check the Internet LED is lit. If it is not, troubleshoot light status, as explained in the router manual.
3. Check the LEDs for the ports with cables are lit. If not, move the cable to a different port. If there are still no lights, then troubleshoot light status, as explained in the router manual.
4. Check if the LED on the Ethernet adapter is lit. If it is not, then troubleshoot the adapter, do not continue this document. If the adapter is not NETGEAR's, contact Premium Support, or the manufacturer.
5. Power off the router.
6. Power the router on again.
7. If you still cannot log on to the router, then do a hard reset on the router, as described in Forgot or Lost Router Password.
8. If you still cannot log on to the router, Contact NETGEAR.

What do I when I finally get online?

Set up your security. By default, routers are in an unsafe configuration. Read Improving Your Default Wireless Security for an explanation, and simple instructions about how to be safer.
Run the router's SmartWizard. This lets the router discover whether you have a static or dynamic IP address, and whether you are using PPPoE to connect to your ISP. (For routers without this utility, go to Step 7.)
4. If a dynamic IP address is discovered, go to Step 8.
5. If PPPoE is discovered, configure your router with the username and password from your ISP. Click Apply to enter the data. Go to Step 8.
6. If a static IP address is discovered, configure your router with this information given by your ISP: the IP address for your router, the address of the ISP's DNS, and the address of the gateway. Click Apply to enter the data. Go to Step 8.
7. If the Smart Wizard does not find an IP address:
1. Power off the router.
2. Power off the modem.
3. Power on the modem.
4. Power on the router.
5. Go back to Step 3.
8. Click Test to access NETGEAR's online test page. If the page displays, then you have Internet access!
9. If the page does not display in a minute, see No Internet With New Router, Computer or Adapter: MAC Spoofing.
10. Find out if the modem's IP address can be seen by looking at the Router's Status Page, as described in the manual. If not, then reboot the modem, router, and computer, in that order â waiting for each to completely reboot before rebooting the next.
11. If the modem's IP is seen, then there is a problem with your browser's settings. Your security may be set too high for the Internet service you are trying to use, or your browser may be configured for a dial-up connection. In Internet Explorer you check this using Tools > Internet Options > Security > Default Level. If the slider is set to "High", change it to "Medium". Click Tools > Internet Options > Connections. If the radio buttons in the center are not greyed out, then settings for a dial-up connection are being used.

Warning: If you are a dial-up user converting to a cable or DSL connection, some software will not work when both types of configuration are present. Configuring your new connection may stop your dial-up connection from working. You may have to configure to connect one way or the other.

i have tried that and so far i have had no luck. I am going to contact netgear but at the moment their customer support site is down and i cannot contact them!

Hi,I have just reinstalled windows 2k on my laptop and have been trying to connect to my wireless network. I have managed to get the wireless adapter to connect to the computer (it has power and the computer recognizes it) and the software that comes with the card can see the AP. when i try to connect to the AP nothing happens. i am not able to connect to anything, no pings, no network, no internet!

the wireless card is a Netgear Wg511v2 and the AP is a D-Link DI-524. Would this be a problem with the software on the computer? i have managed to connect to this same network using the same card using windows xp (using the Zero Config Utility).

Thanks
-jimmy

Here's what I did with my laptop:

1. Uninstalled the old software (1.1 in my case), removed the network card.
2. Restarted laptop (without the network card installed).
3. Double-clicked the wg511 2.1 software file to install software.
4. After the software finished installing, I plugged in the network card and windows found the network card and asked to install drivers.
5. It brought up the screen that says that the driver is not digitally signed, I told it to continue anyway.
5. Once that's done (and the driver is installed), the Netgear client manager and the icon for the connection show up. I use windows settings to setup the network and not the netgear software, so when it asked me if I wanted to use the netgear manager I told it no.
6. I setup my security settings and SSID.
7. Works just fine.

*I don't know if this helped or not but I installed the WPA hotfix from microsoft since I'm using WPA.

The trick is you have to uninstall the software you have and then reboot with the card not installed (just follow the installation instructions from Netgear).

are you using windows xp? because windows xp has the zero configuration tool you can set up the wireless connection using windows and not the netgerar client, the netgear client doesn't work. I amusing windows 2000 and cannot rely on windows to manage my wireless adapter, i have to use the netgear client!

PPPoE connection

I have a PPPoE connection type. I bridged my modem and now I am trying to setup my netgear with my PPPoE information, but when I go through the wizard it only detects a dynamic IP...

Then when I try manual setup it won't let me save my information in the router...??? What is going on? How do I configure my netgear WNR834B for PPPoE

-Tech Support

router

Hello jimmy

I have a problem whit my router from sitecom

My programm dc++ will not work and I need some code's for it

I need the open a port in the router or in the program.

Gr, dennis

-Dennis Meyers

Replying to Jimmy89 I just was able to connect to my wireless adapter. However, when I turned the system off, and later started it up again, it would not connect I found out that it asks for IP address I now know it. However, I can not show it to the system. Please help. My IP addres is 169.254.254.98. I just to connect the system to connect with any disruption.

-reply by amorespatricio@yahoo.Com

IP wireless address changes(netgear router - Hp printer all in one -Hp vista )Wireless Network Not ConnectingEverytime I start computer and printer , there is no communication between them. Ip address keeps changing all the time . For ex. Last digit varies from 1 to 6 . I have static ip address given by netgear , can you help me by showing step by step info to set it up thanks a lot..-question by daksha

Windows XP Not connecting?Wireless Network Not Connecting

I have a laptop (HP G60 549-DX) and a Desktop (Compaq Evo D510 SFF). I can connect to the internet with my laptop, but when I try with my Desktop it sometimes will work and sometimes not. If it does work I cant access the internet, it will say connected with Good Connection but when I open FireFox it wont connect. I have Windows 7 on my laptop and Windows XP Professional on the desktop. When I put any other OS on the desktop it will connect but for some reason windows xp doesn't work. PLEASE HELP!!

-reply by Logan Corliss

netgear/ internet not working network not recognized on any computerWireless Network Not Connecting! My router always worked fine until today, when suddenly none of the internet on any of our computers work. It doesnt recognize our network anywhere! I tried manually connecting to the netgear router (which was on, and the lights were on). Didnt work. So I unplugged it and plugged it back on and now the lights wont go on and it wont even turn on. I don't have the slightest clue as what to do or who to contact. Help please!!Thank you~