xisto Community
WeaponX

Laptop LCD Flickering

unimatrix, this is a PC laptop. Will this still apply then?I'm trying to hunt this piece down with whatever information I jotted down from that inverter board, but can't find much so far. Might have to end up paying around $90 for that whole board :)

Check the warranty of your laptop (if you have one). Like some of the guys said, it may be time for a new laptop. I think it's something with the backlight. Not sure what it is though. If your laptop manufacturer has a customer support line, give them a call. Doesn't hurt to try.

I tried everything already and the warranty has expired already. The tech support for the laptop will not provide much help...as usual. They want me to send it in for repairs at $85 per hour for labor plus parts...no thanks.At this point, I'm pretty sure it's the inverter board because the laptop actually still has the backlight on at times when I turn it on. I would assume that if the backlight is bad, it won't ever turn on again unless it was replaced.Anyway, I ordered the whole LCD assembly yesterday since it was for a good price. Will use what I need and resell the other good parts online.Thanks for all the help. I will post some kind of followup to this once I receive the parts for it.

I tried everything already and the warranty has expired already. The tech support for the laptop will not provide much help...as usual. They want me to send it in for repairs at $85 per hour for labor plus parts...no thanks.
At this point, I'm pretty sure it's the inverter board because the laptop actually still has the backlight on at times when I turn it on. I would assume that if the backlight is bad, it won't ever turn on again unless it was replaced.

Anyway, I ordered the whole LCD assembly yesterday since it was for a good price. Will use what I need and resell the other good parts online.

Thanks for all the help. I will post some kind of followup to this once I receive the parts for it.

Hi, sorry for the late reply, just got back. Yes, the capacitor is the same as those on the mother board. the missing chunk in the inverter "transformer" as shown in the picture is normal, it's for isolation, since after the transformer, the voltage is quite high to lit the fluorescent tube.

Just parallel the capacitor you found, those bigger than normal one. If you found some improvement after paralleling it, then you replace.

No problem faulty.lee. Thanks for the followup :)I read up on some site that mentions replacing the transformer wires. I saw their pictures and the whole transformer piece is filled completely with all those wires in 4-8 sections. That's what led me to believe that the piece is going bad.I don't recall seeing any big capacitors on the inverter board itself. Just curious, when you say solder another cap parallel to the current one, do you mean basically making them join together at the joint area? Just want to know what you mean since I'm new to soldering.Anyway, the whole LCD and inverter board was already ordered and I'm still waiting for it to come in.

No problem faulty.lee. Thanks for the followup :)
I read up on some site that mentions replacing the transformer wires. I saw their pictures and the whole transformer piece is filled completely with all those wires in 4-8 sections. That's what led me to believe that the piece is going bad.

I don't recall seeing any big capacitors on the inverter board itself. Just curious, when you say solder another cap parallel to the current one, do you mean basically making them join together at the joint area? Just want to know what you mean since I'm new to soldering.

Anyway, the whole LCD and inverter board was already ordered and I'm still waiting for it to come in.

I won't recommend playing with the transformer, further more, these transformer seldom fail since they're low current type.

Big capacitor, as in bigger than normal, sometime they're solid type, square, with some marking on top. Look for something like 105(1uF), 106(10uF), 476(47uF) and the like.

Parallel as in (+) of original cap connect with (+) of the new cap, as so on for the (-). That way, it will add up the capacitance. If it was the capacitor's issue, then, doing this will help reduce/eliminate the problem, that way you'll know which to change.

Anyway, it's always easier to just change the whole board if you can get hold of one. Good luck

Basically giving up on this now. I got the screen and board last week (same part number and everything) but for some unknown reason (maybe just bad luck), the inverter board is different and so is the LCD's data cable. The connectors for the cables are not matching to what I have so I can't reconnect them back.I might just send in my inverter board and have it repaired if it's damaged.By the way, I tried looking for that big capacitor on the inverter board, but couldn't find anything that could be it. Nothing mentioning uF in them that I can see either and most are just small chips.

Most of the time when the inverter blows out, the large capacitor is just fine. Most often, one of the smaller ships or smaller capacitors blow out. From previous experiences, the same component on the same type of board ends up blowing out. For example, with compaq 1800T, one of the chips near the output side of the board usually blows out after 5-6 years.

Does anyone know what part is bad? I tried to take apart the darn thing myself and see if I can maybe reseat the LCD cable but this doesn't sound like it could be the issue.

Thanks.

had similar problem but mine was just the cable... hopefully you get yours fixed..