xisto Community
Grafitti

Frustrating Problem With XP On Laptop

It happened on my desktop pc once. It was a problem that was caused by a BIOS function called ACPI or something like that being disabled. It's something like a device management for os or a compatibility thing... try to find ACPI in your bios and enable it

It's been a while, so by now it's all sorted out. It turned out to be a combination failure of the processor and motherboard, some little thing on it that froze only with XP. However, since it was a dual core AMD (back then it was almost the first in Pakistan) no one including the authorized Acer dealerships knew how to repair it. I got a little P2 Toshiba from them as a spare machine, and then with that problem, and issues with the stamp on the warranty card, it took 8 months for them to come up with a solution. Meanwhile the laptop had been sent to the center in Bahrain, where they couldn't fix it either, but at least diagnosed the problem. So they sent over a new motherboard and processor from the states, but then informed me that due to the warranty issue (bought from CompUSA -- never again) they wouldn't repair it for free... the cost would have been $500. So since I bought the laptop for $750 after rebates, 500 was a bit too much, seeing as they also said that once repaired, the warranty would be effectively finished. I asked them if they could do anything else, and a friend of mine who knew the top ppl pulled a few strings, and they agreed to offer me the option of the same $500 payment, but for a trade in of my laptop for the current model (from 5116 to 5611) and a 3 year warranty. All considered it sounded like a good deal, especially since it had been a year since the original purchase. Because the laptop specs they sell here are pretty limited (60GB, 512MB ram, combo drive) I got them also to put my previous specs in (160GB, 2GB ram, super multi drive) for no extra cost, and they complied. So now I finally have a working machine, but have learned never to buy AMD in Pakistan, at least for the next few years, till the technology gets a bit more absorbed.

That's strange that this problem only affects Windows XP, it is highly odd. I've never heard of a computer just crashes on one version of an operating system but works with its successor and its competitors. Oh well, at leas you got it resolved.I'd just go with a Mac, it just works (until there are actual component failures, there's no such thing as flawless hardware).xboxrulz

aspire 5102wlmi

I tired installing xp, but after booting from cd and loading all the drivers, right after the fat and ntfs drivers, it says "setup is loading windows" and then it hangs there. How to install xp pro in acer aspire 5102wlmi - 0.00 hr back.

-reply by Mallikarjun

Same problem with XP on Acer 5102

Replying to Grafitti

Hi Grafitti, I have exactly the same problem as you had. Only XP refuses to load, not even in safe mode or from setup cds. Also bought the laptop at CompUSA and taken abroad. Did you find out which processor/motherboard hardware problem exactly prevented XP to load? If known I could perhaps disable the service/driver related to it from booting (if not essential for XP to load)

Txs,

Gert

-reply by Gert

About the Acer 5102

Grafitti, I don't think the problem was buying it in Pakistan because I got the same problem and I bought it in Spain (and I think there are other feeds from the States too).

Personally, I had myriads of problems with this particular model from the start. It's been sent for repairs 3 times now. This time round will be the 4th one and I really hope they supply me with a new one, 'cause I'm sick and tyred of this. Their customer service has been appalling too.

Moral of the story: Don't buy Ace if you can help it!

-reply by Sylvie

I have HP DV 6350 and it is coming up with a recent problem of Boot sound stands for longtime during the startup and inbetween working also it sounds and getting off after several minutes only. What could be the problem? and how to resolve the same?

hanging problemFrustrating Problem With XP On Laptop

laptop(dell inspiron) ...

when I installed avast antivirous in my laptop it not properly installed and after some few minute it not workproperly and it again when I start my pc then desktop totaly hang.I try formating but it shows error in os installing give me proper idea about thiis