xisto Community
Vyoma

Face Of A Friend A vector artwork to gift a friend

OK. Here is another update. About an hour and a half of work on her eyebrows, teeth and lips.

Posted Image

Total Effort: 6.5 hrs

Software: Inkscape

From the close up view, the eyebrows look a bit weird like some is detailed and dark brown and the rest is black.But I'm assuming that the eyebrows aren't finished and that's why it's like that lol, it seems to like fine as is on the smaller ones though, don't really notice it.The lips are starting to look really good too.

Hmmm. I thought of leaving the eyebrows just like they are now. But after your comments, I might add a little more detail to it after all - I will do it in the final stage when I will adding tiny details.The lips are done. I do not know if I can cram in any more details there.You see, this is my 4th vector art. I still have a long way to improve my skills in Inkscape as well as vector art. This piece of work is really helping me learn few tricks here and there.Next, I think I will work on her top. It is said that the vectoring of hair is a bit hard and requires a bit of advanced visualization skills. And the vectoring of clothes is the next hardest. So, I will work on her shirt/top first. That should get me on track. Then I will go for the daunting task of detailing her hair. (May be once I do the hair, I can do the eyebrows better).About a month and a half to go for her birthday - I think I have just enough time to complete this work by then. :)

Oookay. Here is another update. I worked on her cloth for about an hour.

Posted Image

This is how much I can vizualize her shirt/top. I know - it is not that good compared to the other parts but for now I seem to have hit the ceiling of my skills. I cannot stretch it anymore. Hopefully it will improve as I work on other artworks.

Awww I dunno, it looks pretty darn good to me.Obviously the quality of detail and colour could be improved on, but it has the right look, so your heading in the right direction.

Thanks Chesso. I am now doing some research with Google to find out write ups on doing vector art hair. I need to find a right way to do it. I have seen many people do excellent works but do not yet know how.

Btw, don't think I asked this, but is this purely a hobby alone or are you working towards something (Graphics Designer in General, game Graphics Designer, etc etc)?

Well as of now, it is purely a hobby. I am an IT professional, and my day job involves me in coding, support of few systems, and managing a team. But after that, after few drinks of coffee with some of my buddies, I come home and work on these things. I have been dabbling with traditional artwork for some time, and did get involved in computer graphics, in terms of 3d design and raster graphics (GIMP! Yay!). Lately though, I have almost become an addict of Vector Art, and have been augumenting it with my blog, Splat.Given a choice and if I reach a financial state where money is not a question, then I think I would be glad to move into the career path of an illustrator or game/graphic designer. :)

It can be quite a lot of work actually. When deadlines are involved. There was this instance when I entered for a competition at a forum. Man! It was really a sleep killer as the D-Day came close.I too do not have any certificates. :) Wish I could have had some formal training in arts. :)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind having some drawing talent either :), well i'd mostly be doing pixel art but either way I suck at both majorly.It's nice to know someone else out there is working in the field despite not having any formal qualifications. Gives me hope LOL.

I did try pixel art. You will see some incomplete projects displayed here at the forum.

Well, here is a small update. Small I say in terms of progress, but I did spend about one hour on it.

Posted Image

Just finished one lock of her hair. So much more to go! And I do not even have the photographic reference for the hair, because I restructured her hair than the way it is in her photo.

Total Effort: 8.5 hrs

Software: Inkscape

Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

Got any tips on learning pixel art lol. It'd be usefull if I knew how, for making my games, so far I'm doing good on the programming side, but for making characters and things, I suck lol.Out of curiosity I wonder how long it would take to do a whole 3D model with textures like that :|.