xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
WeaponX

Can't Get Imac To Connect Wirelessly

I asked this question about a year ago and decided to call it quits back then. I decided to give it one more try before I go out and buy another wireless card for it.To make a long story short, I have basically tried everything to get the iMac connected to my router. I even disabled all my wireless security settings and broadcasted the SSID, but to no avail. I know my wireless card works because I have tried connected it to another wireless access point before and it worked.I don't want to disable all the wireless security settings again, but is there a way to connect wirelessly if I have WPA enabled? I have the Netgear MA111 USB Wireless Adapter and don't see an option for WPA (only WEP).I have attached some screenshots of the wireless adapter settings I have in system preferences. The wireless adapter is listed under Other with a question mark for some reason. All drivers for it are already installed. I click on Create and not sure where to go from there. I tried enabling WEP and just enter my WPA password instead with Enable Key Index checked and unchecked. Neither worked. It would say Connecting...but nothing would happen. I see other wireless networks nearby and can connect to those without a problem.What could I be doing incorrectly here? I disabled WEP/WPA, MAC Address Filtering and even enabled my SSID to be broadcasted. Do I have to buy an Airport card in order for it to work with my router (Westell Versalink 327W from Verizon)?I'm using Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) if it matters.Thanks.

If you can get a hard line(ethernet) connection, download the widget from Apple that allows you to scan all available Wireless connections. I can't think the name of it as I'm at a relatives, but I'll be back home tomorrow in front of a Mac. (on a windows XP box with only 256MB of ram and dial up....yuk.)On most degaulst systems, you should be able to turn on the Wireless card up at the right hand corner by the spotlight magnifying glass. After turning it on, wait 30 seconds and the click the icon and see if the airport card can locate the network and connect.

Would I still need to get that widget if the wireless card works? I'm asking because I could see some wireless connections in my area and can even connect to those that are unsecured. But when it comes down to mine, I couldn't get it to work. I remember disabling all the security already. I'll try to find some free time and maybe reset the router and leave it unsecured to see if that works.If I can get it to connect to my router, do you know if it will support WPA encryption? From all the iBooks I worked on, I have never connected ones to WPA (only WEP).Let me know what widget you were referring to earlier. I won't mind using it as long as it can pick up my wireless signal from the router.