xisto Community
JJBDude

The "lol" Phrase

I dont mind it, but I dont use it. If I want to use something similar, I'll say something like, XD (its a face! look at it sideways), lmao, rotfl (sometimes I'll add something stupid like "you roffled meh woffle), ect ect. Sometimes I'll get really close to saying it, like I'll say lawl or lolercoaster. I just noticed I did this, replace the work 'say' in the above paragraph with type. >_<

I know what you mean. The LOL phrase is overused these days. It's like one of those words you use when someone says something that's supposed to be funny, but you don't think it's all that funny, so you say lol so they feel like they're funny.....but they're not.

I hate when people use it time and time again...typing it after every single sentence.

Freak: Yeah, so then he chopped his head off

Retard: LOL yea

Freak: And then he goes, "Momma!"

Retard: lololololol

Freak: Hold on. My mom's calling.

Retard: lol

Freak: My butt is gigantic.

Retard: lol!

lame

I hate when I talk to someone and all they say is "lol" It's just like shut up!

But then again, I'm not exactly all that innocent. I used to, when people talked to me, I'd just respond with "oh". I mean, they were always uninteresting and I didn't know what else to say....so I just...said oh. But I dunno. If you want someone to respond properly, say something interesting ya know?

Don't like lol around. It's stupid. >.> But I do it sometimes. Not really. I actually type my stupid emoticons. Which pisses people off. I guess anything blatent pisses people off. ::shrug::

I simply had to jump into this thread!

I used to chat on MSN with a girl who's ONLY contribution to group discussions, was to type 'lol' every other line, then try to change the subject - she ALWAYS used lol as a subject ender, never to actually let us know she had been laughing, espesh since she was thick as 2 planks and hardly ever got any of the jokes anyway. Since then I HATE 'lol', I'll quite happily use LMAO, LMFAO, LMFAOROF, ROFL. just not LOL!

So if we ever have the pleasure of chatting - remember not to LOL me!

Or IPYFLO!

IYKWIM......

cheers!

antonkelly

I use it all the time but Im a giggler and If you talked to me on the phone while Im on the computer you could really hear me laughing out loud. My friend told me the other day, do you giggle all the time. I said yep I do, since Ive been a kid and its not going to change any time soon :)

I usually just type HAHAHA over and over, but that works for me since I'm a really fast typist. My other faves are herherher (feminist laughter, I made it up), tee hee, hooplah! and huzzahahaha! Yeah, I'm a geek with a lil too much spare time...

I am another one of those people who uses lol alot. I don't even mean to do it. It sort just becomes a habit. It is the same as people who say "like" in almost every sentence. They don't notice they are doing it at all anymore before long.I cant help myself. :)LOL!zippy77

Im pretty sure LOL means "Laugh Out Loud" Which is odd when people use it all the time, it rather looks like maniacal laughter, and that acutally makes me laugh out loud.Yeah, I also use lol, regretably, its a habit I desperately want to get out of. Some times I just say "Whoo hoo!" or " Hazaah!" and noone knows what I mean so I have to go back to plain, annoying old "lol" ... I wish everyone would just go get some danm spelling lessons and take a night course in grammar... :) (Argh! I did it again! The smiley equilivent of "lol"!!)

Do people still use 'pmsl' (Peeing Myself Laughing)? When I was using IRC chat many years ago (late 90's), a group of guys and I would use this term if something was seriously funny. I noticed it hasn't come up in the current topic and I don't chat online(IRC or MSN) any more. Also, the big one - 'rotfpmsl' was the ultimate.Back on topic, I agree the use of 'lol' is well overused by those people that seem to think it ts "cool".

I don't see myself using "sl" anywhere in the future because personally, I think using an acronym for the best medicine on earth is wrong. When someone on AIM or Xisto makes me laugh, I just type "haha", and if they REALLY make me laugh, then I append more "ha"'s to said phrase.

:)

64379[/snapback]

That makes me laugh, because I do the exact same thing: the funnier the phrase, the more ha's it gets. I used to say lol sometimes, but now I never say it. I completely agree that it is overused. It was probably one of the worst inventions ever because it's only 1 letter less than haha, and it's acually 1 letter more than ha. :)

I don't like most internat jargon, I have been known to use it every now and then though, I geuss I'm not very good at practicing what I preach..... :) I am known to use alot of smilies, commas, period, exclamations points, and question marks, I geuss you can say I am a terrible writer online, because I use so many incorrect things.....How's my answer sound??? :D:ph34r::)

Yeah, I use hahaha too if something is funny just like this post. Haha! I just like the smiley equivalent! :)

I agree with whoever said that lol has lost all meaning. It does not mean that you're laughing out loud, it means you are acknowledging someone's joke. So that's why my friend and I have tried to create the new phrase "ayj". AYJ stands for Acknowledge Your Joke. If you want to use lol, go ahead, but only use it if you're seriously laughing out loud. Otherwise, just say ayj and it's a way of not being rude, but not going all out. AYJ is like the online version of the fake laugh. The worst, however and I know this is sort of a different topic, is when people say LOL in everyday conversation. When I'm talking to my friends and someone decides to say LOL, it pisses me off so much. Why can't you just laugh? Are you seriously that disconnected from the conversation that you're thinking about throwing in an AIM phrase? People who use AIM lingo in everyday conversations can eat dirt.But seriously, use AYJ. It could be great.~Sam