xisto Community
JJBDude

The "lol" Phrase

This phrase bugs me. I don't like it when people on Instant Messengers type LOL (which means laugh out loud) but don't actually laugh out loud. I do it too because it is a annoying habbit which I got off of practically everyone I talk to on MSN. So, I decided to make the phrase "sl" uop which means seriously laughing. Now if you ever seriously laugh in a conversation then remember this thread and type sl instead of lol. :)

JJB, you have to think of a more catchy phrase. Lol, lmao, wtf etc are all catchy. Think of something more catchy than SL and post it on here.

Well I have been using it for a few months now and it is okay and I have started getting my contacts to use it. I did think of cc for chuckles but I don't think that is very good. I will stick to sl and eventually everyone in the world will use it. :)

I don't see myself using "sl" anywhere in the future because personally, I think using an acronym for the best medicine on earth is wrong. When someone on AIM or Xisto makes me laugh, I just type "haha", and if they REALLY make me laugh, then I append more "ha"'s to said phrase.:)

I must agree with this, the phrase "lol" has completely lost it's actaul meaning, even things that aren't funny, people wil add "lol" to it. Which is why we have "lmao" and "rolf", hehe lol (oops).

I really do laugh out loud when I read something funny- even though it annoys everyone. But, like snlildude, I usually type out ha's or sometimes hee's. Sometimes when I want to be sarcastic, I'll type something like, "LMBFBOWR(etc)!!!" and nobody ever calls me on it. :)

Meh, I'm one of those people. In AOL I use "hahaha" to say if something's funny, but if something really makes me laugh, really hard, I'll say, "LOL!!"o_o

when i very first got online ever i use to think it meant lol as in the way its pronounced if you say it like a word haha. but now ive learned, i never found out til my friend asked me why do you keep typing lol. lol

I use to think it meant lots of laughs. This way you don?t actually have to be laughing out loud. But I guess more people read it laughs out loud. Oh well, I like lots of laughs better even if it is wrong.

I use it alot. I think of it as acully just a phrase. If you think somthings funny or somthing.

I've never used 'lol' as a phrase or when somebody says something funny, i just go haha. i'm a teenager, most teenagers use it because its so catchy, well it's annoying and get down to real english. Lol is annoying.

I prefer to use "hahaha" (more if funnier). To me "lol" didn't give me the feeling that i am laughing or someone is laughing anyway. Same applies to those "lmao", "rolf" etc. to me i feel that if some one really laugh.... the sounds of the laugh (which is "haha") should be a natural sound for me to hear, not "oh i'm laughing out loud". That's my view.

I started using lol since 2 years now and I can't get rid of it but the phrase rofl is more fun :) the funny part of lol is that in Dutch lol means fun so I always read it as a word even if I don't really laugh but if I find things funny :)