xisto Community
flashdiamond

Planet Is Melting

This is exactly what scientists fear nowadays. Most of global climate, mainly in Europe, depend upon water/wind currents located in western Atlantic ocean, close to US. I was astonished when a friend who works in an environment business told me about it, and that the story told on the film Day After Tomorrow is a real possibility, and second some, the most likely to cause a new Ice Age.And here in Brazil each year the summer is hotter and hotter... And I don't even live in a beach city!

Yes, it is a big possibility. However, we wouldn't get the chain reactions that fast and we won't get the hypercyclones.

xboxrulz

I watched program on the discovery channel it said something about the pollution which terns into clouds will block off all the light from the sun. Causing the earth to frees and that is how the ice age will happen. But I don’t know if that is true. You will need allot of clouds for that to happen. It seems impossible, I don't know why they say that. But if you think about it, astronauts in space need special soot's. When they are in the shade it is something like -100o and in the sun +100o give or take sum. So when the earth is 100% in the shade it will be very cold, right now the earth is 50% in the shade. so the half that is in the shade doesn't frees because the atmosphere keeps the sun in form the other half that is in the sun. So the heat travels round the earth to the shaded part. Witch makes the earth the right temp. So it is not +100o to hot or +100o to cold. But with extra clouds that reflect the sun from the sunny part will upset the ballence and will bring the next ice age.just a Theory.

Edited by flashdiamond (see edit history)

Yeah I'm doing the gobal warming topic for geography and as part of syllabus we are required to learn the alternative view. Apparent the earth has been warming since the end of the last ice age and therefore it is logical to conclude that present day temperatures have to be higher than those of several thousand years ago. By who much is often debated. Over the last 20,000 years there have been severe fluctuations in temperature. In some periods after the ice age (12,000 year ago) the increase in global temperature have been just as sharp as the increases we are seeing now. However fluctuations are cyclic but unfortunately no one has been able to predict when the next big rise should occur so some people argue that all this global warming is just the earth heating up of its own accord. I personally think global warming is due to human activities and therefore it is possible to halt the process or at least reduce it. The main reason some government refuse to acknowlege global warming is that it can be potentially damaging to their economies.

I personally think global warming is due to human activities and therefore it is possible to halt the process or at least reduce it. The main reason some government refuse to acknowlege global warming is that it can be potentially damaging to their economies.

Well, that is no longer the case as the prices of oil has increased tremendously from the lows of USD20 a few years back. The problem right now is more of like corruption, where the government is trying to protect certain sector of the economy rather than protecting the nation as a whole. Renewable energy is not that expensive when you factor in all the costs, such as energy security, waste disposal etc. But hey, who are the people that contributes to the political campaign funds and employ tonnes of workers? Renewable energy companies cannot grow if government keeps on supporting/buying oil and oil related companies. When it comes to energy, the private sector can only do so much. It is still pretty much a government thing.

Update from Toronto: we finally got snow here after the West got blasted with snow a week or two back.Now winter is still above normal during January, but I'm happy to see snow and ice at least.@Wellingtonboots: I think those scientists may be right, at the same time, I believe that we might be helping on speeding up the process :Sxboxrulz

Maybe the planet knows what she's doing, and she's slowly getting rid of us... With so much pollution, we're in a way attacking her and we're just no more than parasites. Perhaps this is the way to show us that in the end, she will remain and we will disappear, perhaps it's too late now to make any changes, to reverse all the damage done, and we're heading slowly towards destruction as a species - if we don't destroy ourselves first with some bombings....