xisto Community
bakr_2k5

Astahost Bonus Credit System?

I would agree with vujsa that a simpler system is the best way forward for Xisto. And also any new addition/changes to the system might not be better, as mirdux has pointed out

---If it isnt broke, dont fix it----

However, the idea on the Best Post of the Week does not actually meant that all the mods and admins would have to scour every posts and everyone must agree unanimously on the winner. There could be a couple of variations on how to achieve this. One of them is that when a mod/admin comes across a post that he/she likes, then they just suggest it by maybe listing the title of the posts. Each mods/admins can only list one post since I assume that they can only vote once. Of course, changes to the list can be done before the week has ended. When the week has ended, mods and admins would have 3 to 5 days to vote on which post they think would be the Best Post of the Week. If some mods/admins do not vote, it is ok. I don't think you need a unanimous decision. If there is a tie, well, you can alwasy have 2 Best Post of the Week and the bonus credits divided between them. If there are more than 2 posts with the same highest number of votes, then the admins would decide. To me, the selection of Best Post of the Week is not a Presidential election where everything has to be exact. It is more of like selecting an Oscar.

Of course, at the end of the day, the implementation of the Best Post of the Week would entails more work for the admins/mods. Not to mention additional programming to implement the system. And like vujsa has said, the current system is working fine as it is. But this is just a suggestion. I do think it is a good and workable one. Besides, I need some credits to unsuspend my account. Hehe.... :P

It is true that allowing the 'best post of the week' thing to be decided by the moderators can end up making things biased. Allowing users to rate each post would be nice, but couldn't a user also create multiple accounts (it's not really that difficult with all those email generating resources out there) and then rate themselves higher?

And using yeh's idea, perhaps instead of letting mods decide, we could let users each choose a post that they think is the 'best post of the week'. All those posts will go into a queue and users can only choose one best post per week. (obviously) And then, that could be combined with the earlier idea of using hits and replies to rate each particular post. (Perhaps length could also be factored in? After all, longer posts usually tend to have more well-thought out content). And then, if the moderators want, they can also look at some of the posts and give one of them an additional boost if they really like it. (But this is optional, so that it can cut down a bit on each moderator's work load). Then at the end of the week the points for each post is tallied and the best one is rewarded.

Of course, it does entail more programming and therefore more work and time, so that might be rather big problem. And I don't see the current system as particularly horrible either, so maybe such a different implementation style is really not needed.

---If it isnt broke, dont fix it----

Exactly! It could potentially end up being more broken if we actually do fix it. XD
Edited by Arbitrary (see edit history)

Secondly, Xisto could record each IP registered an not allow registration of teh same IP.

this wont work.. i have been on a company with triple DNS server used inside the company.. this also have 6 outgoing live broadband connection..

the user base on the private network that access asta just to read is rather large.. at least around 60++ users out of 300+ active net users..

using that IP block method will lock out this legit users from accessing the Xisto registration and shun them out since base on the settings.. only 6 registrations can be made..

sad to say that this can drop to 4 connections since the 2 connections are for email access
and still drop to 2 or 3 connections since 1 broadband connection is for VPN and the other one is sometimes used for VPN.

using this method, Xisto already lost at least 50 users..

While it may seem noble, I think too much work is tied with best post of the week.If one feels the need for a weekly contest, it would be easier for the organisers if it worked "by submit only" so one wouldn't have to hoard over legions of posts.

I think this is a superb idea!Maybe 2 points for every 100 points your referral earns - saves people getting loads of useless referrals!And also, top post and topic of the week should get like 75 credits!And maybe for £1 PayPal - 60 credits?

Having said this, I will forward your thoughts on to OpaQue and see if his opinion has changed with regards to this subject.

It's pretty calm in this topic :)!Anyway, Vujsa have you had any response from OpaQue on this? Or did you completely forgot about it? :)
I think it's pretty dead in here. So I'll keep it short.

bakr_2k5

I was debating whether or not to reply to this thread or not.But I agree with the reasons "not" to do it. I think all the credits we receive are bonuses anyway.My 2 cents. (Well I'm Canadian ... so my 1.85 cents.)

The bonus system here could work great as people would be encourages to write good post and would also lead to increase the quality of posts at Xisto and would also help to get them good page rank as well as good posts indexing and more people coming to use this service of posting for hosting ,thus leading them to the best free host, the bonus system i feel is a good idea, it would encouage everyone to make good quality posts which are really useful and not just writing bid stupid posts whic are only for earning credits and not for helping anyone