xisto Community
tansqrx

Paid Emergency Credits?

I was traveling on the road today when I had one of those ohh crap moments. Last night I had every intention of posting on Xisto because I was down to something like .7 credits and I knew I was going to get my hosting suspended if I didn’t post (not like it hasn’t happened in the past). Like I said, I had every intention but I forgot and I remembered today when I was well over 5 hours away from home and gone for the weekend. While I was thinking in the car I also had the idea of paying for emergency credits. In situations like mine it would be wonderful to be able to pay for credits. Perhaps add a PayPal link for such things and $10 for 5 days credit. This would prevent the casual users from just paying all the time and not posting because it would just be easier to get a paid host for less.In the end all worked out, I still had .2 credits when I got to a computer (better type fast) but that was surprise because I thought I surely already got cut off. I know this would be some work on the administrator’s part but I thought this may be an interesting solution to my time spent in the car wondering “ohh crap, how long until I can get to a computer?”

It's happened to me many times, where I got suspended because i didn't have any more credits. Not so much now with my cable line, but when i was on dialup and the phones would go dead for a week. I would finally get online and see that i was minus 4 or 5 hosting credits, but at least it seemed to me that Xisto was very generous with those credits needed to get back the hosting. I would get like 2 points for a relatively short post, and only once i was in the clear would i get half a point or a point for the same post length. Was that just my imagination, or does it actually work that way, I don't know.

I would get like 2 points for a relatively short post, and only once i was in the clear would i get half a point or a point for the same post length.Was that just my imagination, or does it actually work that way, I don't know.

Nope, it's not your imagination. From what I read on the credit system, it should work that way. It gives those with fewer credits a chance to build up the credits quicker in the beginning. But once you have more credits, you will need to add more content than before to get the same amount of credits. As long as you are an active member here, that shouldn't be a problem :P

I don’t think contacting the sales department at 5pm on a Friday would really be wise if you were in an “emergency.” I was thinking more along the lines of an automated process.

Even though i am a paid member of Xisto - Web Hosting now and a bit unhappy. Just so that other members would know, how much does one hosting credit cost in U.S. currency? Its probably not too much since a basic Xisto - Web Hosting account with more space and bandwith per month costs around 3.30.

At trap these are the current prices for purchasing hosting credits.

185 credits (6 months) $10.00 365 credits (12 months) $20.00
550 credits (18 months) $30.00
730 credits (24 months) $40.00

18.5 credits per dollar-$10.00
18.25 credits person-$20.00
16.6 credits per dollar-$30.00
18.25 credits per dollar-$40.00

Since most likely Xisto is using the same plan for purchasing credits then what I showed you will be right on the breakdown.

I will find out if Xisto has automated checkout for hosting credit purchase. And I will let admins know and have it available for all--that is if it exists.In the mean time, please make sure that your hosting credits are above 10 possibly at all times. This will make your life less complicated :P

I will find out if Xisto has automated checkout for hosting credit purchase. And I will let admins know and have it available for all--that is if it exists.
In the mean time, please make sure that your hosting credits are above 10 possibly at all times. This will make your life less complicated :P

Yeah, I generally like to maintain at least 150 credits. You know, just in case something happens like I slip into a comma for 5 months. :P

Some of the heavier posters have well over 500 and microscopic^earthling takes the cake at over 800. :P

Right now I'm floating around that 220 mark and find it difficult to stop accumulating more credits. Seems like I earn credits every time I post here.

Anyhow in all seriousness, the credit purchasing concept is a good one. While we prefer everyone to just remain active, we understand that sometimes things come up and it is hard to post as a result. The best part of the credit system is that in is inherently a rollover system. Since your credits never expire, purchasing them in addition to what you earn from posting is the most economical method for web hosting. True paid hosting requires you to pay every period no matter how much you contribute otherwise. Credit buying allows you to simply extend your hosting duration.

Maybe we should have a credit lottery too. :P

vujsa

Maybe we should have a credit lottery too.

Haha... that is a good one, vujsa. I am all for credit lottery. So, the prize should be like, let's say, 1 million credits... :P

Yup, i'm all for credit buying. Not that I need it now but I think it is a good concept. And the process would have to be automated, like what transx said.

Basically you pick a number and if you get lucky you win, of course if you read the book the lottery then you were chose to be sacrificed to appease a demon. Yeah it's been awhile since I read that book, someone else who read correct me on that If I am wrong.Although I am a bit shocked that that the credit purchase is done through sales and not set up like it is on trap.

hey i feel why not create a sytem that anyone could sell the hosting credits to each other and at whatever costs they want so the posters could earn money and those who dont want to post could buy those credits at a cheaper cost and it would lead to a win-win situation for both