xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

French Parliament To Dump Windows For Linux ! Another Feather In Linuxs Cap

Correct me if im wrong but isn't opensource and Linux sperate entities? Anyone one know what flavor there going to run?

Quatrux, sadly all the Ubuntu users are usually stuck with GNOME because they are new to Linux and may have never heard of KDE.
xboxrulz

its a shame too. Its just a simple apt-get to install the other distros..

Très bien!

It's no real wonder that kind of big institutions switch to open source. The savings must be huge in terms of software purchases. Then there's of course the installation and education costs but eventually old machines need to get replaced anyways.

About the browsers... I don't think it matters much for the members of the French parliament which browser they get to use as both do their job well. Remember these are people in important positions and I suspect they don't have time to fight over which browser is best like bunch of nerds.

One thing that speaks for Linux systems in large organizations is the networking and network drive sharing. In all fairness Windows still sucks when you need to have the ability to share network resources like disk space and printers. In Unix world all that has been working like charm for years.

I'm sad that our university and not even our department of information technology (where I study) hasn't gone open source. Instead in all quietness they signed a contract with Microsoft last spring which will most likely mean more Windows work stations. Our university's email system was changed from old perfectly fine working Unix system to MS Exchange based one and for the whole year there has been loads of problems with it. I personally wasn't able to access my email for two weeks. The ridiculous thing is that the system probably costed a lot...

Correct me if im wrong but isn't opensource and Linux sperate entities?

Yeah but if you're talking about open source operating system for office computers there are not that many sensible options apart from Linux.

It is cool to know that governments are changing to open source software. It is just about time now,,that Microsoft will end his monopoly...I personally don't like Microsoft,,but I have to use it,,because it became norm...But, as from now on,,I will begin to move to Ubuntu kde,,I still don't know how it will work,,but I think I will do fine...One big advantage I see,,is the cost,,It is like something out of a dream to have a 4 million lines of code OS,,and freee,,Gosh, God bless the guys in the communities forging this open source programs...Hail to them