xisto Community
WeaponX

Problems Connecting Wirelessly

UPDATE: He got it working again. He went back to disable the programs and finally got McAfee (that little devil) disabled. I guess we didn't "disable" it properly last time when he brought it over. He just configured the McAfee Firewall to allow the internet access and all is working well now :P

McAfee is the cause of all problems... it's far worse than Norton Internet Security. NIS just holds grudges against the local network (it doesn't even allow a Novell client to login to a server on the local network). But from what I've heard about McAfee, it is garbage.

And of course, 99.9% of all network problems I encounter are software problems (e.g. Windows or security software).

[N]F

I haven't used either of these personally but have worked on machines that had them.Totally agree with you nightfox. My old co-worker had a similar issue around a year ago and had to disable McAfee (phone support walked him through it all).Not a fan of Norton either as I have seen it suck up resources on many machines before.

You could put zonealarm coupled with a standalone antivirus or just use the zonealrm security suite. I've had no problems with this kind of setup in a networked environment. The only problem about using this is possible conflicts and the initial setting up of both programs.Otherwise this can be the best solution, doesn't use too much resources as well.-HellFire

I haven't used either of these personally but have worked on machines that had them.
Totally agree with you nightfox. My old co-worker had a similar issue around a year ago and had to disable McAfee (phone support walked him through it all).

Not a fan of Norton either as I have seen it suck up resources on many machines before.

I was surprised by McAfee just 2 days ago, when i have to network 2 pc toghether. Both pc has preinstalled McAfee (with anti virus and firewall). After connecting the 2 pc, i can't access the apache running on one of it. So first thought is ping. Ping didn't work. After testing the network cables with my laptop and my colleague's, we're sure that the cable is working. After a while of tinkering, we finally realized bout McAfee, so went ahead and disabled it, voila, everything works like charm.

Where as Norton, i've not use for quite number of years. I used to be a fan of norton when their norton disk doctor was far better then win98's scandisk. Norton speeddisk and my favourite diskedit, i use that to manually recovered data, such as a few harddisk suffered from CIH's attack. That was, i would say legend. Now i don't like norton anymore, same reason with WeaponX, resource hog. And they seems to target fancy UI rather than actual functionality.