xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jimmy89

Buying A Mac Need some help

Hi all,I have been looking around for a while now and i am wanting to buy a Mac. I have been wanting to switch for a while now and i think its about time! Can people please give some suggestions and ideas on what to get? any help would be appreciated!!if you have a mac, what do you think of it! is it worth it?THANKS!! :)

I'm a Windows user but am quite fond of the Mac myself. I bought an old iMac that was fast enough to run Mac OS X (aka Tiger) and love it. Still need to learn more on the inner workings, but I think it's a good Operating System to work in.

If money is not an issue, you might want to go with the new iMac desktops like the one here. But since you are just starting with a Mac, I recommend getting the Mac Mini instead. It's small and compact. You will need to buy your own monitor and keyboard/mouse for it though.

This has been talked about a lot, but you might want to wait for Apple to officially release a copy of the Mac OS that will work on Intel computers (that's the computer most of us are using to run Windows on :)). This should be the least expensive since it's just buying the software and using it.

I haven't heard much news on this, so I'm not sure when Apple will release it to the public. I think some of the new iMacs have it running already.

if I were you, I would wait until 2007 because that's when MacOS X Leopard is coming out and it will debut tons of cool new feature like automatic backup and other great improvements to iChat, iCal and Mail.Plus, this is in the wrong area ... moved.xboxrulz

I would wait until Apple gives the final release date for OS 10.5. The reason being, if you buy a Mac before the day they announce the release, you don't get the free upgrade. (Been there, done that with OS 10.1 to 10.2)That being said, the question is how much do you want to spend and what do you want. Laptop, the MacBook is reasonable as is the iMac on the desktop side. You want to get the Superdrive and at least 1GB of ram on any machine you buy. It will run fine on 512, I can run FCP 4.5HD on my older PowerBook (1ghz G4, 512MB Ram) okay. No RT rendering like on my Powermac towers. Same with Photoshop and other hungry apps, but things work a lot better with 1GB or more of RAM. (My Quadcore PowerMac G5 has 8GB of ram...so I can edit HD video and run shake or soundtrack without worrying about crashing the system.)

I think the MacBook is worth every penny. I'm a PC user myself and I'm about to make the transition from Windows to Mac. When I do, I probably won't have any regrets. One thing about the new Intel Core Macs is that you can run Windows on it through Parallels or Boot Camp, this is a big plus and is maybe one of the major reasons for people to switch over. Not only will they have a Mac, they can also have the advantage of loading up the Windows OS and do whatever the Mac OS can't do. I'm waiting a couple more months until Leopard drops, hopefully by then the Santa Rosa chipset releases.