xisto Community
dexter

Intel To At&t Syntax Comparison

I've just started into assembly, and the particular course I'm doing is using the Intel style syntax. Anyway, I'm looking for a few decent sites that have a good side-by-side comparison of the Intel and AT&T styles. So far, my googling has only come up with sites telling me why one is better than the other. *rolls eyes*And as a side note, I really want to know why this forum is a Delphi/Assembly forum, when Pascal is a high-level language...? (or are Delphi Pascal and Turbo Pascal two different things and I'm just being stupid?)

In response to the second question, while Pascal is a high-level language (Delphi is just an IDE for Turbo Pascal), it was designed to have easy inline assembly code. Most better Delphi/Pascal code utilizes assembly for a wide variety of features. Plus, these languages are both very old and unfortunately not widely used, which makes this the old language section.For the first question, I know I have seen some, but can't remember them. I will keep my eye out for you, and try Yahoo! I find better tutorials more often on Yahoo! than Google. And don't forget to try a local library.

Right... the old language section :) actually dexter, all I've seen is GNU docs comparing intel and at&t syntax. I know for a fact that Dev-C++ uses AT&T syntax for inline assembly as well as the rest of the gcc world. Here's one I've found: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

That should give you a good side-by-side comparison, but I don't think it's as extended as what you're looking for, seeing as it's simply inline assembly.

There's some docs about AT&T syntax by Sun, but they're really extensive and use solaris assembler extensions. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Actually, that first link is simple but good. I'm sure once I get the hang of it, I'll be able to pick up some of the trickier concepts. :)And yeah, the reason that I need to learn AT&T style is because I use gcc most of the time, and if I ever want to actually be able to use any assembly, I'll need to use AT&T style because there is no way in hell that I'm ever going back to the MSVC++ compiler. (I am trying hard as hell to entirely ditch Windows... but as long as I'm playing games, that ain't happening).Oh, and on the whole Delphi thing... I was digging through my uni's library for assembly texts, and Delphi and Assembly had been put together basically on the same shelves. Bizarre.

You're welcome dexter. By the way, why are you using inline assembly? If I'm right viskywalker, gcc is rather heavily built on gas so replacing gas with NASM probably won't work without some heaving source editing.

That's a good point, but I think NASM has a compilation mode designed for creating functions and whatnot for gcc. I'm sure the NASM forums have helpful info on this. (I am just about to get Fedora Core 3 and will be able to provide more info soon).

Sure, I know NASM is a possible option if I'm writing pure assembly programs, but then again, some *Nix systems have NASM, whereas I'm pretty most, if not all have as.And, osknockout, I'm doing an assembly course at uni, and although the course only requires pure assembly programming (as opposed to inline), I want to be able to actually use assembly after I'm done with the course. The original reason I took it was for the sheer power that assembly gives.Anyway, if I walk away from the course with both syntax styles under my belt and the ability to use it reasonably well both inline and standalone, I fell that'll be a great asset.

Ah, well best of luck then dexter. I never took a course on this stuff, I just looked at AoA and played with FASM. Alright, I'll be looking forward to that viskywalker. (I would have downloaded Fedora as well but Gentoo just came out and well...:))That's true dexter, but realize that most asm source is in intel syntax (at least, what I've encountered) It might be true that at&t syntax can help you with gcc and such, but that's nothing a bit of binary editing couldn't do. So have fun aussie, that'll be nice on a job resume.