xisto Community
tansqrx

Spam Problem On My Forums

Unbelievable! Bots nowadays manage to bypass all possible protections, including image validation and mail validation! On my forums (IPB 2.0.0) I used to get several bots every day, even though I had both protections active. In the end, I started deleting bots and banning their e-mails, since I noticed that many are coming from similar account, such as @mail.ru or @web.de. Luckily, the number of bots registering has now decreased, but it is still a problem :)

Yeah image verification is slowly but eventually being broken to pieces, there are bots around capable of getting around quite the number of types of captcha's.But I guess a combination of things like captcha's, flood posting and what not might atleast alleviate it to be manageable?

Are they posting everywhere or just this thread?

What do you mean?

It sounds like you are just starting off using your forum. I recommend looking at other alternatives before your forum has more members in it. Invision Board is a very great forum software but you need to pay for it. They have annual subscriptions with support. I recommend using Simple Machines Forum at http://www.simplemachines.org/ I have been using their forum software for years now and absolutely love it. Support is also great when I run into problems upgrading the forum or adding mods to it. Simple Machines Forum uses image verification and also has an option that requires users to click on a validation link sent to their emails before they can login and post anything.

I was reviewing my logs today and all I can say is wow. There are all kinds of accesses to my blog and forums and I wondered what was going on. I soon realized that it was the automated bot army knocking at my door again. The only difference this time was when they knocked, the bug zapper got them and they dropped like flies. Truth be told I had no idea what was up until I review the logs.

I recommend you to use Better captcha from here:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=473222

one more is here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

After installing the same, the spam bot registration on my forum has been reduced ( No its totally solved : )

You can see my custom captcha image here in my forum registration page:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

You can change the background properties of the captcha images and many more custom options will be there on admin control panel!

You can use some new fonts and update the captcha system regularly!

Niru

you're using phpbb that means it's open to hackers and spammers try vbulletin almost no spam. but anyhow. to i would install the following mods.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/easymod/files/
EasyMOD is a script for phpBB that installs mods automatically on your phpBB installation. it basically will make it easy to install any mod you just pop them into easymod and they install automatically.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
This tool will check your phpBB forum for the risk of being spammed. It will NOT check the phpBB version or perform general security checks! In order to stay secure, please be sure to always have the latest version of phpBB and all mods!

In order to perform the anti-spam check, our tool may try to post automated messages to your forum. After the check is finished, you can remove these messages, although we advise to leave the links to our site, as this tool may be useful to others too.

Depending on the speed of your server the check may take between 10 seconds and 10 minutes. During this time you won't be able to see the check progress. Please, be patient! Enter your email in the form below to have a copy of the report delivered to you as soon as the check finishes.

I'd have enough with these spammers. I was creating ease of use for my visitors to drop support requests or improvements they want to suggest without registering. However, the spammers are abusing that, so on my forums (powered by Quicksilver Forums) is now registered-only users can post.xboxrulz

First to avoid the spam you have to of changing of phpBB to a much better forum as Vbulletin or SMF this is it better and that in addition have few bugs, and possesses small systems to prevent it from taking placespam, since to add a small image in the system register. The phpBB are good but they are very insecure, like that that my recommendations that you were changing.

Running With Scissor’s Five Steps to a Spam Free Forum.1. If you forum allows you to enable admin approval of accounts enable it. That way you can stop the spam bots before they even get in. You can typically tell by the email address and things that it is not human.2. Don’t use phpBB. Most of the people I here talking about spam bot problems on there forums all have one thing in common they are using phpBB or an out of date forum software. Upgrade to the latest version of a reliable forum company. I like SMF because it’s good when it comes to security and it’s free.3. Make sure you have to be registered to post on the forums.4. Ban the spammers using this * as it works as a wild card. Example: 219.7* will ban 219.734.3434 and 219.7342.343 as well as any other ips starting with 219.7. This feature allows you to ban an entire area and computers that have ips that always change.5. Some forums have the option of only allowing active members or members with a certain amount of posts to post links and or send private messages. This will cut down on a lot of the spam and should be turned on.Try these things and see if they work. I have had trouble in the past with spaming on phpBB but then I did some of these things and its not bad any more. I am now using SMF which is so far a really great forum. Hope my five steps help.

New waysSpam Problem On My Forums

A new way is to install a plugin that will do a human reasonable question, only answereable by a human being, like:

What is the color of the blue moon?

Which is the first month of the year?

Which is the last vowel?

Also I think that the default phpbb3 captcha is really reaaaaally weak.

-reply by D4rK_Pr1nC3

vbulletin antispam pluginSpam Problem On My Forums

I’ve read a lot on digital point forums and disabled and enabled thisAnd that, it helped for a while, but then another way came around likeThey found another way to register. I’ve been testing the fassim.ComAnit spam plugin and it has cut a of the registrations down a lot, ILike the post mod feature too.

David

PhpBB is a very accomplished forum system. I run on forum on version 2; a couple of simple mods stopped all spam. I've recently started a phpBB3 board and have had no problems thus far. If I do, I'm sure that the phpBB community will help me with a suitable mod. No worries.Choose whichever forum software suits you best. But don't heed the small-minded who suggest that it is only one type of forum software that is susceptible, it is normally more down to the owner;-)