xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
vujsa

Recent Events At Astahost, The Hosting Server Problem, And The Xisto Corporation Everything is related it seems.

Well if it is a problem you are experiencing it should be in a separate topic so not to spam the forum.

This explains a lot.I had assumed that the server issues were due to either a down server, causing Xisto to cram are accounts on less servers for maintenance or that the number of free hosting accounts has just grown so large that the servers can't handle it.Now that I see this thread though I completely understand what happened.If I may make a small suggestion, thats if a system similar is not already in place.These problems were easily forseen and it would have been nice to recieve some message/warning that the servers might be experiencing problems due to this kind of stuff.That way we would not freak out when the servers are going down.You should have seen my face when I realized all my files were permnantly read-only no matter how I applied CHMOD. I was completely baffled, after a few days of it I was almost ready to buy a hosting account sooner then I had planned.Anyways it would be nice if we could be warned of future possible problems like this. Another example was the CPANEL update, I had no idea that cpanel was updated until I realized my php mail function stopped working.I completely understand if you prefer to keep this information confidential, because they are your servers and you are providing us free accounts. If you already have a section like this well you can reach through your monitor and slap me in the face for not paying attention.

Well if it is a problem you are experiencing it should be in a separate topic so not to spam the forum.

not a problem here.. a funny side effect..
it only just a matter of 1 char in my config this prevent the loop and it only happen 1 hour a day..

and it makes me think what is going on.. so far.. i am not the only one who got the timewarp..

@BitShift

same point here.. though no damage on my side.. it helps anyway to warn..
i face the computer for 3 long hours trying to figure out why cant my smarty generate templates.. and 2 days later i stumble to this forum thread..

anyway.. the effect may have not been forseen.. i use to have this kind of updates on my past works.. where 300 computers checks my private mySQL server and downloads the binaries stored in blob fields..

5 months later.. 15 machines have been added and the whole update system crash mySQL server rendering some clients to have corrupted DLL's.. the problem was not the machine, it is the new network router with a lan cable connected to a network router which is also have a spare lan cable connected back to the other router.. result.. massive loopback that crash the network matrix overloading the mySQL server..

i guess something similar to this have happen considering the volume of data to build and transfer plus the server restart that needs to be done.. sometimes locking the filesystem is way much better than rendering your uploads in the middle while the server is being restarted..

Eh, the weird thing is that its still a read-only server for me. I don't know what's going on, but every time I try to upload something, I always get an error message saying it's read-only. Perhaps it stops me from uploading if I upload too many files at a time? *not sure what's going on*

Eh, the weird thing is that its still a read-only server for me. I don't know what's going on, but every time I try to upload something, I always get an error message saying it's read-only. Perhaps it stops me from uploading if I upload too many files at a time? *not sure what's going on*

Yeah, this process is still in effect from what I can tell. A feww accounts are transfered for the day, the server cleans up its configuration and reboots.

This usually happens between 0000 GMT and 0500 GMT. Which is between 8:00PM EST and 1:00AM EST. But only lasts a short time. This seems to be currently effecting the server as I type!

I don't think the outages will continue much longer.

vujsa

I think it is still in effect. I was able to upload few files a bit earlier, but lately, the changes I made to my CSS were not seeming to effect and it was driving me nuts. I did not know what in the world happened to my CSS/HTML coding skills.

Just before I was going nuts with Filezilla, I came here and checked up this thread - to effect saved my sanity. Thanks for noting it vujsa. At least, we are able to make changes to the database - else my blog would be stuck in a shameful state of incomplete theme. (Have set it to a default theme and am waiting for this to pass over).

Why does it always have to happen when I am working on something! Murphy's Law in action!

:) Hope it does not stay for long.

the host is now in readonly.. too bad i waited to upload the files and see that the uploads are all red after finishing a movie..well i will try to upload it later and i hope it will be over..

OpaQue's company has aquired another hosting companies assets. That is Xisto - Web Hosting has bought shothost.com which means that he basically took over the hosting accounts for shothost.com.

Nice :). They bought WebPlanetHost back in the day, didn't they?

Does WHM make the accounts read only when it's transferring a backup? I didn't know that.

Once a set of transfers is complete, I believe that the server has to restart or at the very least, the server has to re-catelog all of the domain information for the accounts as well as other file association tasks.

I'm quite sure it would need to run rdnc to update the DNS zones in BIND9, and also add the new Virtual hosts into /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf. Then it needs to restart Apache. Also, the backup takes quite a lot of CPU time (Unarchiving a large .tar.gz file is hard work :D)

P.S I just thought I'd drop in to say Hi, I haven't been here for about 18 months :D

Edited by daniel15 (see edit history)

Nice :P. They bought WebPlanetHost back in the day, didn't they?

Does WHM make the accounts read only when it's transferring a backup? I didn't know that.

I'm quite sure it would need to run rdnc to update the DNS zones in BIND9, and also add the new Virtual hosts into /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf. Then it needs to restart Apache. Also, the backup takes quite a lot of CPU time (Unarchiving a large .tar.gz file is hard work :P)

P.S I just thought I'd drop in to say Hi, I haven't been here for about 18 months :P

Bump