xisto Community
talktime

Plan To Create Human-cow Embryos Plan to create human-cow embryos

If you can't see or are unaware of a higher purpose in life than eating breeding, then by all means, as you say, you are not much more than an ameba, or a cow.In that case, I would state that there are two different kinds of human beings...

Sure, we may create our own purpose and motivations in life, but it is up to the individual to determine what that is. There are many people who dedicate their lives to different purposes, but we as a species don't seem to be predisposed to having any particular purpose other than basic living, eating, breeding etc. That is not to say that other animals don't do anything but eat and breed. There are other animals that play and do things that don't directly pertain to their survival.

I don't think that the research should be stopped because it is potentially helpful and also potentially harmful. If there weren't any horrible people out to monopolize and abuse power, then there would only be controversy over the fact that they are human and cow embryos and both are capable of life until they are mingled together. Also if it were possible (I'm not saying that it isn't) that the cow and human genes could combine together, he/she would probably cause a great amount of curiousity about the traits of the new lifeform. Most likely another scientist (or scientists) will recreate another embryo and test it. There are tons of different outcomes, but a main fact is that no matter what, that lifeform would become an outcast in the society. There could even be the possibility that he/she could commit suicide, murder, anything. (I'm not saying that it can't just help for his/her entire life.) Anyways, there is aposibility of mental instability because of being shunned from a society that caused the birth of themself. It could cause a situation like in Elfen Lied (anime show) where there is another species of humans that have vector hands (they are like invisible hands and are much longer. There are variations in length and in number.) who are considered a threat and are isolated from the moment they are born. If they escape, they kill anything that they come across.(I didn't want to say "it" because if he/she could possibly survive they wouldn't like being called "it". I'm fifteen so don't blame me.)

Edited by Takumi-san (see edit history)

I think they have already undertaken the research and they did manage to creat a few zygotes that survived for eight days. I do think this is ethically wrong to mix DNA from two spieces and also that it is not feasible. The DNA will not form sister chromatids during mitosis and therefore cannot grow into an embryo. However now that we are able to get stems cells without growing human embryos (from the fluid surrounding human embryos) we should not feel the need to carry on experimenting with growing embryos of any kind.

That would seem to be the best way to go with stem cell research.