xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hellmonkeys

Ps3 And The Cell Processor

What do you guys think about the Cell processor, developed by Sony, IBM, and Toshiba, which will be used in the upcoming Playstation 3? Here is a link to an article about some of the details of the processor: http://www.zdnet.com/topic/

Personally, I think this processor looks pretty awesome. It will be faster than 4 GHz, which is quite amazing considering it's size (if you can find a picture). It has 9 processing cores, which is also pretty awesome.

I am looking forward to PS3 and the wide use of processors such as this. Tiny and powerful is always better in my book :).

Yepppp, well, I think that developers of graphic cards will have alot of job to beat this kind of power. I heard that PS3 will be 200times faster than PS2 and 1000 than PS.Btw, does anibody knows when is this coming out on markets.I also wanted to ask, did anybody heard about new Physics accelerator, this is a new Hardware that will help processors and graph cards to proccess the movements in games more faster.

Yepppp, well, I think that developers of graphic cards will have alot of job to beat this kind of power. I heard that PS3 will be 200times faster than PS2 and 1000 than PS.

Btw, does anibody knows when is this coming out on markets.

I also wanted to ask, did anybody heard about new Physics accelerator, this is a new Hardware that will  help processors and graph cards to proccess the movements in games more faster.

64074[/snapback]

Never heard of this physics accelerator.

Too bad the cell chip probably won't be running windows, but there's a chance for an apple or linux cell processor computer.

Oh, and about PS3: Not sounding to good. Sure, the Cell is cool. But PS3 sounds so powerful, no one will want to develop. Rev and Xenon will be basically the same specs from what I hear, and considering how much money it will take to produce a game this next console cycle, it might not be worth it for developers to develop for it because people will not be buying the console in the first place. Not only that, I don't know if you heard that for the first year, it will take Xenon and PS3 longer to code games then Revoltuion because they took the harder way out. So Revolution will have a head start. Well, intill they get use to coding in the different way.(mmm.. run on sentences.)

The games will take longer to code because they'll be so ridiculously huge! I can't wait for the PS3. It's graphical power is over 50 times the amount of what the PS2 was capable of. I wish I had my smudgey paws on the beast right now. I heard of someone that the PS3 will use 4 of the cell chips in each console, making it one of the top 300 most powerful electrical objects in the world. Dunno if that's true or not though. Don;t rekon it is, about the 4 cell chips in one PS3.

Well whatever! We'll have to wait in order to see what's fact and what's just rumour. :) Till then I'm enjoying my current consoles and the great games that are being released on PS2 this period

I'm saving up my pennies and scaving just to get enough money for the PS3. I'm not getting it straight away, I am going to wait for about a year so that it is cheaper. :) So far I have ?5 B)