xisto Community
Tallkid

Help With Find A New Motherboard/memory

Well dude, It's working only because hardly any big application is running on it. Try running a webserver and a database service(Let's say MySQL) and a graphical application. (Which uses reasonable amount of graphics) Unless you have a graphics card which has RAM, the comp will hang itself.

Yes i ran Windows ISS server on it and then i installed Apache, PHP, MySQL, and PHYMYADMni and tweaked it down, it was slow but it worked pretty well. I also installed Phsotoshop elements 2.0 Microsoft Office 2003 and Mitdown Madness 2. Thos eprogram require more then 128 and it worked well, It just took a while to load lol.

Well dude, It's working only because hardly any big application is running on it. Try running a webserver and a database service(Let's say MySQL) and a graphical application. (Which uses reasonable amount of graphics) Unless you have a graphics card which has RAM, the comp will hang itself.

that's true, it is possible to run WinXp with 128 RAM I tried it but loading 2 or more programs such as Flash and Photoshop which are pretty big on RAM won't work too well. I went back to win2k but it's still the same.

So I think it should be RAM that should be upgraded for you. If you think your computer is running too slow for you then it's more memory you need. I think that 1G ram should do.

Can anyone tell what the difference between DDR and DDR2 and would they be compatible with motherboards that support DDR?

I agree that you need more Ram i was just giving you a second option if you don't want to spend the money. When you do upgrade, tweak your page file size. It will maximize your system speed.

I agree that you need more Ram i was just giving you a second option if you don't want to spend the money. When you do upgrade, tweak your page file size. It will maximize your system speed.

Some details about DDR and DDR2 and their differences are explained in these links.

http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/hardware/1476_1.html

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Well, Tallkid I don't know which country you are from. (Guess USA). I stay in India. Now, it's no big deal to get DDR2 memory. There are good memory manufactures like transcend, Kingston etc. You can just pick the size and brand. Request for DDR2. (I just bough 512MB DDR2 of Transcend two weeks back.)

To check if there are any online deals, you can check.

Deals2Buy

hey, Well about the one you most recently posted id say i dont know. The pins will fit, but its just a matter of how much speed your motherboard will allow the ram to operate at. OF course, however youll see a HUGE boost in speed with 4x the ram you have especially when its running a much higher frequency. But if it were say just ddr-800 i wouldnt be worried, for most Intel motherobards support DDR, but yours may not for it was not originally equipped with it. Something thats important to see is that your computer is made the best it can be for the price. For example why would they use more expensive motherboards supporting newer hardware technology, if they dont utilize it? Thats what im thinking about. For now, i would find a module of near the exact specs of yours, only with more memory (512 or 1024mb). 1024 of what you have now is still a pretty good boost.. If you really wanted to boost, youd buy a new motherboard that fits the socket of your CPU and has broader memory support and possibly integrated graphics, unless you want to go into spending on a new graphics card in addition, which is an even harder obsesssion to get out of :)

Hi Tall, when was the last time you reinstalled Windows? As mentioned earlier, if it's been a while, you might want to backup all your data and reinstall Windows. It might just be all the junk building up that's slowing things down.

I'm not sure if DDR2 will be compatible on your system. According to Crucial, this should be compatible for your Sony desktop computer. From the system specs you gave us earlier, your original system configuration should have DDR266 (PC2100 SDRAM) in it. You can probably get another 512MB of memory and add it in to have a total of 768MB. That should be sufficient enough and you will see improvement going from 256MB.

If you want, go use the Crucial System Scanner and see what they recommended.

You can always buy the memory from another place. Just using Crucial since they have the information there for you and you can narrow it down to the correct part when shopping :P

thank you very much weaponx, it is deeply appreciated and how can I make sure that my files are backed up and that they will work if I reinstall windows?Another thing what is up with the spam here?

No problem Tallkid. You can burn your important files to a CD/DVD or hard drive for backup. Make sure you don't forget any of your favorites/bookmarks, emails (if you save those on the computer) and others. Once you copy them over to the CD/DVD or hard drive, just open them up to make sure they are working. Usually there will be no problems when you copy them over, so there's probably no need to open up each file individually. Once you reinstall Windows, just copy those files back to the computer and you should be set. You will also need to reinstall any programs you had earlier as you can't back those up.Don't worry about the spam here. Just ignore them and report them to us. We are working as quickly as possible to eliminate them here :P