xisto Community
nickmealey

Leaving Your Computer On? - is this good for it?

Leaving your computer on 24/7 is retarted. Thats like a one-way ticket to getting your computer to get jacked up in the inside. But if you do happen to leave your computer on all the time, I would suggest putting your computer next to an air conditioner or at least add two more cooling fans to the back of your computer.I would leave my computer up 24/7 because I want to host stuff and other things. But im afraid of destroying the stuff inside my computer. Yes, i've seen parts of my CPU melt up once when my computer was up for a month streight. Now that is some extreme overheating.

I leave my laptop on for long periods of time, and the only problem I've experienced is that the bottom gets kinda hot, when that happens the laptop slows down a bit. Because of this, I put two big books on the either side of my laptop so it doesn't get heated as easily. Another bad part about leaving your computer on 24/7 is how the heat affects the computers/laptops surroundings. For example my wooden desk is slightly damaged from the heat and my room is considerably warmer then other rooms :blink:The second 'problem' is actually turning out to be a nice advantage of leaving my laptop on because it's winter!

I dont think it can be really bad for your computer. But i leave it on all the time but when i am not using it i close out of all the programs and turn off the monitor. I probably does run up your electric bill a little i dont know. But i cant see it hurting the computer very much.

It shouldn't be too much of a problem to leave your computer on 24/7. But, you should reboot it at least once a week, and maybe let it rest for a few hours every now and then. I once left my computer on for 4 months straight, and it still doesn't have any problems.

If you're using a laptop, don't ever leave it on 24/7. They aren't meant for that. It's alright with a desktop, but laptops die a lot easier. The HD lives are a lot shorter, so the longer you leave it on continuously, the faster it will die.

Edited by Shunkan Idou (see edit history)

I find that leaving your PC is on 24/7 actually sometimes makes it go slower for me. I don't know if it happens for anyone else, because my computer is a piece of junk :blink:. Also i have done it before, but it leaves you with a large electricity bill. So its not really worth it unless you downloading a large file sized program, whatever you have to do calls for you to leave it on, or you just earn a lot of money to pay your bills.

I leave my computer running almost all the time. Occasionally I set up a timer at night to make it turn off after a few hours. Not sure if it's good or not to leave it running like that, but I do it anyways. I would imagine prolly not.

I wouldn't imagine it is. 1) totally kill your electric bill if you use a lot of programs
2) up the risk of worms or other types of virus' to get on it
3) rebooting helps and allows programs you installed to start and sometimes act faster.

mine is on all the time a reboot now and again.

I always shut my computer off before i go to bed, because really theres no point on leaving it on. There is the rare occassion that i am downloading something and i figure its going to take all night so i go ahead and leave it on. Yeah i think the computer should get a break, but if you have standby setup then im sure it uses very low electricity while in standby and really there is barley anything running just to keep it alive for when you do need it.

Personally, i believe it depends on the computer, if you have a cool household with a computer that has 2-3 fans attached to the case, shouldn't cause much of a problem. Look at it another way though, you live in a high humid warm dusty area which i always quite warm and sometimes gets really hot, and your PC is sure to act funny and start blowing parts of it up. :blink:

I had always wondered if I should leave my computer on all night or continue downloading the next day, my friends would always say that it is very, very bad and that i would be stupid to do something like that. Well I have asked alot of people and from my understanding plus what they have all told me, it really depends what you are doing on the computer whilst leaving it on. As say if you were playing games or downloading then it will use alot of system resources and my friend told me that this is bad as the computers always 'working' but on the other hand if you leave it on say stand by mode or hibernate where it is basically shut down but still technically on, my friend tells me that this is ok. Im not actually sure if this is all correct but it seems logical, as if the computer is working then it will be heating up and if it is not doing anything then it should stay reasonably cool and safe right? I wouldn't leave my computer on again as it could possibly be the reason that my computer has died, but it is around 3 years old so the motherboard is fairly warn out and is dying :'( But aside from having my motherboard fail on me alot nothing bad has really come from having my computer on, and i leave it on for around 8 hours some days and it is right next to a ducted heating vent so it does get pretty warm. But nothing bad has happened which is great news, i can tell you that im not risking it by leaving my new computer on all night though. Can anyone tell me if what my friend has told me about the computer 'working' whilst left on could possibly ruin it, or if theres more to it than what he said, as in he forgot to mention something?

i don't think it will physically damaged the pc but might shorten the life of it a bit but i know of alot of pc that are left on 24/7 almost all hte time. i know it will definately make the bill much higher than it should be to just leave the pc running all day long instead of switching off when you don't need it but it will also need to be restarted a few times every now and then there is no exacvt time interval for this but you will know when because the pc will start running very slowly and nothing will work properly. this will more likely than not be from memory leaks windows xp is better with this but it still does when pc are left to run for long periods of time without being restarted at all. you will probally find that other platforms will do better with this but generally every now and then every pc will need to be rebooted to help keep the pc running at optimum but i would think it is just generally better to switch pc off if you will not be using it alll the time it might help it last longer and save you some money in the long run. But from a general stand point there should be no reason why new pc can't stand being left on 24 hours a day as they are very advanced and well designed.

Why everybody say it eats lot of energy? And why do you leave it on all the time? Just cant see any reason. Maybe when you're downloading smth,but after that you should turn it off. Nobody's safe these days,you just cant see what'll happen in future.. Beside that, i think leaving it on causes damage to the hardware,not only fans but hdd,cpu, vc . They all get damaged by the time,nothing last for ever. If you'like to have it open when you come from job or school,there are programs for that: u just show the time to start and you're ready to go. I'm using such a program. When i come from school, my computer waits for me and Plays music! i like that.

leaving computer on is very bad. ur data can be removed by someone and computer get heat, bill of electricity could be increase and more things happened if we leave computer on.