xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kufskr

Compatibility Building My First Computer

Ok, So here's everything but the Case (I think) for what will hopefully be my new computer. PLEASE let me know if you think I'm completely off.

Mother Board- ABIT KN9 Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Dual Core Processor

HDD- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

RAM- G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Standard System Memory

Video Card- XFX PVT73GUGF3 Geforce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card

Power Supply- APEVIA (ASPIRE) ATX-AS500W-GN ATX Daul12V (V2.03) / SLI compliant 500W Power Supply 115/230 V CB IEC 950/ TUV EN 60950/ UL 1950/ CSA 950

The CPU says it comes with the Heatsink and fan. I don't know what lvl of cooling system I would need for this as well. ANy input is apreciated. Thanks!

seems okay to me. The stock heatsink that comes with the AMD cpu's is actualy very good, they cool good at a modest sound production.The memory seems a bit overkill if you ask me, DDR2-800 is indeed faster than DDR2-400, but you won't realy notice it when you're working on it.

Looks like a solid compostion to me. About the cooling... You'll never realyl know until you've got the computer together inside a case. I've always thought that using the boxed coolers is the best way to go for starters It's safe as you've got the manufacturer's promise it should be enough and if you feel like you want more silent/effective cooling you can easily upgrade. And at least the last time I was processor shopping, the price difference between sole processor and the boxed one was marginal.

Looks like a solid compostion to me. About the cooling... You'll never realyl know until you've got the computer together inside a case. I've always thought that using the boxed coolers is the best way to go for starters It's safe as you've got the manufacturer's promise it should be enough and if you feel like you want more silent/effective cooling you can easily upgrade. And at least the last time I was processor shopping, the price difference between sole processor and the boxed one was marginal.

+ the boxed version usualy come with a longer warranty period (3years vs 1year or something like that), but actually, you'll only get those 3 years if you use the stock cooler and the recommended thermal paste ... like anyone does so :) .