xisto Community
iGuest

Setting Up Dyndns Very thorough

Have you ever wanted to setup a domain which will directly point to your local webserver?

Here's how:

Step 1. Set up your DynDNS.com account.

Register for a free account at DynDNS. Agree to the site's terms, and use a legitimate email address to complete registration. Once in awhile, DynDNS will email you at that address asking you to confirm that it continue your service.

Log into your new account. Go to the "My Services" area on the left side. Under "Host Level Services" click "Add Host Services." There, click "Add Dynamic DNS Host." DynDNS will autofill your IP address (if you're doing this from your home computer). Choose a domain and type in a custom subdomain, which can be anything from lifehacker.kicks-*bottom*.org or john.is-a-geek.com or gtrapani.dyndns.org, like below: Posted Image

Step 2. Set up your computer to update DynDNS.

Now that your computer is registered with DynDNS, each time your computer's IP address changes, it has to let DynDNS know. This can be done either with free updater client software or through your router.

If your computer is connected directly to the Internet, download the DynDNS updater client for Mac or Windows here. Install and enter your DynDNS information so that your computer can update DynDNS's database regularly.

If you are behind a router, you're in luck. Most modern routers support dynamic DNS services. Here's a screenshot from my router's interface (yours will look different) for with DynDNS settings: Posted Image

Step 3. You're done. Give your new domain a spin!

Type your new domain name by entering it in your web browser's address bar. It should resolve to your home server. From here you can publicize or bookmark your server's new domain name no matter how often your IP address changes.

Hope this helped you all out there!

cya

Hi I trying to set up a network drive so it can be accessed from anywhere.I am using a d-link di524 router which I use to get broadband internet access.In order to do this my router is assigned a private static address from a local provider whose router is assigned a dynamic address from the main broadband provider.This is the only way that I can get broadband access.Candydns cater for this cinfiguration as I think it is not allowing me access for this reason ?Hoping you can helpJohn -john piercs

Very Thorough? Psh. Right.

Setting Up Dyndns

I just read this exact tutorial somewhere else. I don't know if it's the same person or whatever, but I thought I'd mention that it barely scratches the surface of how to do this. It may work for some, but the other one had a lot of questions about things that weren't covered. You don't say a word about how to set up the router or that theres a website with how to do this. I don't remember what it was or I'd link it.

-reply by sisa

Unable To Connect My SeverSetting Up Dyndns

Hi.

I am  unable to browse my site wafatech.Webhop.Net.

When I am trying to access the uel it is saying that..

"he server wafatech.Webhop.Net at DSL Router requires a username and password.

Warning: This server is requesting that your username and password be sent in an insecure manner (basic authentication without a secure connection)."

I am activate my modem DynDns  and use my DynDns Username and Password.Is it right?

Please Explain where is my fault.

Thanks And Regards

Anjan Maity

-reply by anjan Maity

I am not sure about this, but it seems your ISP is blocking the port 80. You can chek if it is blocked by going to this site and entering 80 in the port field. By the way the password it is asking for is the routers password. If the port 80 is blocked you can change the port number in 80 to some other in apache. I am just telling what I assume, wait for someone to answer it corectly or google search for more information about this.

Edit: The site to check if port is blocked or not: http://www.seemyport.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t

Edited by Spencer (see edit history)

DNS Linked with my FTPSetting Up Dyndns

Hi, I am new with using FTPS and DNS for that matter. I've set up my ftp so that I can type in the IP address. IE - 192.168.X.Xxx (This works fine). I went to DynDNS.Com and set up a free account and downloaded the updater so if my ip randomly changes it automatically syncs with my dns which is exactly what I want it to do :)

At this point I am stuck. I followed the instructions to sync my IP with the DNS I want it to be named and when I type it in nothing happens.

If anyone has some advice, I would appreciate it alot. Thanks

-reply by Josh

EE/DynDNSSetting Up Dyndns

Hi there,

I have set up my web server with Apache for Windows, and it is working very well (Called server 1).I've built another machine and want to setup as a server (Called server 2 and similar as the server 1).  DO YOU THINK WE NEED TO REGISTER FOR A NEW HOST NAME FROM DynDNS.Com?

Thanks!Sincerely,

Mike

DYNDNS QuerySetting Up Dyndns

I have a dyndns account set up to monitor my CCTV through my home router as my ISP will not offer me a static IP address & insists on a dynamic one. Is there any way to ask dyndns to mail me automatically when it detects that my ISP has changed my new IP address rather than me finding out by logging onto the site?

Thanks in advance

DynDNS on Mac through Netgear routerSetting Up Dyndns

When I type in my dyndns address, which is brittburns05.Blogsite.Org, it asks me for my routers username and password. When I enter it takes me to the Netgear router manager where I can change router settings. I want to access my mac instead of my router. Any advice?

-reply by Britt

Dynamic DNS and FTP command issueSetting Up Dyndns

Hello,

whenever you use ftp.  The ftp command asociates with name or ip of your local machine.  If you use the dynamic ip then the Router will take care the connection, not your local machine that mean that your machine ip or your local computer host nam is having nothing relate to the DynDns.  In order to ftp

1/  The machine in which you want to ftp that  should take command ftp (permission)

2/ Host Nam should assigned in your local machine (in your computer host file configuration)

3/ Set configuration in your router work with DynDns  (host name, password, dns should be in the DynDns if you open account in there)

that're information, hope that help...

good luck 

-reply by Tom Vu

Hello everyone I am having a problem with the dyndns updater. I have installed the updater on my computer but for some days it takes a long time to syncronise the ip . Do I have to keep the computer running at all times. I also have the dyndns configured in my dvr and the dyndns name is in the router but it just does not syn. Please help me someone even to send to my email I would appreciate this much . Thanks

-reply by Alex

Hello everyone I am having a problem with the dyndns updater. I have installed the updater on my computer but for some days it takes a long time to syncronise the ip . Do I have to keep the computer running at all times.

Why do you need dyndns? Do you need it in order to reach your computer through his name? Then, you need the computer to be running each time you need to reach it? :unsure: