xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vyoma

Cron Jobs Not Running Is anyone else facing this problem?

Is anyone having problems with their cron jobs? I have Drupal installed, and it requires a script to be run every day, but it has been about 2 weeks since the cron job has run. It is required so that I can clean up old logs from by database. But instead, I have been just getting mails from the server that my cron jobs did not run.I have not made any changes, and it was running properly prior to that.Could someone please look into this? It is not a priority issue, but it would soon turn into one if my database starts to bloat with unwanted old logs of site statistics.

Make sure that the crons are set properly.. :-0

OK OpeQue. I will have another look at it, and try to setup again. If it does not run again in the next one week, I will post here again, with the detailed error mail I got.

Edit:

That is odd! I checked it up just now, and it seems to be running fine. All the logs are squeaky clean as they should be. I check up my Drupal admin area and it shows:

Cron is running. The last cron job ran 33 min 36 sec ago.

I am sorry to have brought it up, but since the cron job was not running for past two weeks, and my mail box had around 100+ mails from the server, I was a bit worried. It seems like things are fine now. Edited by Vyoma (see edit history)

Cron job last ran 1 week and 2 days ago.

I think there is some serious problem with my cron jobs. It spurts into action sometimes, and sometimes it remains dormant for quite a while. It is not running properly per schedule, because I again have got more than 60 mails from the server stating that some permission was denied for running some file.

Hey Vyoma...are the cron jobs still a proplem?Hows it working for you now?Im about to implement a dynamic RSS newsfeed addint to content module and I am going to be needing to run a cron job twice a day to refresh my content so I am going to be relying on the accuracy of them running smoothly when I program them too.Thanks for the reply :PMarky!

Yeah Mark420, it still seems to be a problem. I checked up my Drupal logs and it has not run for several days. Here is the mail I get from the gamma server:

From: Cron Daemon <root@gamma.xisto.com> Mailed-By: gamma.xisto.comTo: k.mahesh.bhat@gmail.com
Date: Oct 26, 2006 5:30 AM
Subject: Cron <vyoma@gamma> wget -O - -q http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
Reply | Reply to all | Forward | Print | Add sender to Contacts list | Delete this message | Report phishing | Show original | Message text garbled?
/bin/sh: /usr/bin/wget: Permission denied

I too would be relying much on the cron jobs soon when my member base expands. I would be sending out NewsLetters, but it will be sent in batches to reduce the load on server - but if the cron jobs are not running properly, I am not sure how I would be able to do that.

Hmm seems like we need to BUG the admins about this one!!I will be heavly relying on the cron job from next week onwards...ALso for doing a daily backup of mysql...so i wont be happy if its not running on time each day ;((

Overlords! The great admins! I call for thee!

Smite the cron job failure and set us free!

No - seriously guys. I really need the cron to be running properly. I have had a lot of activity at my site lately and I do need heavy clean up jobs to be running. The cron failure message (that I have quoted above) is almost spamming my mail box lately.

Is there anywhere else that I need to raise the ticket or something like that?

Overlords! The great admins! I call for thee!

Smite the cron job failure and set us free!

No - seriously guys. I really need the cron to be running properly. I have had a lot of activity at my site lately and I do need heavy clean up jobs to be running. The cron failure message (that I have quoted above) is almost spamming my mail box lately.

Is there anywhere else that I need to raise the ticket or something like that?

you can try run /usr/bin/wget from the terminal. If you still get the same error message, you'll have to ask the admin to give you execute permission on /usr/bin/wget

I do not think we have shell access through our accounts. So, I do not know if I can try that.Moreover, the odd thing is that it works once in a while. But for the past few weeks it does not work.It is really a nuisance - admins, please look into this.

I am not sure if the admins did look into this, or they did not - but I think it has set itself right now. The cron jobs are running smoothly for the past few days.I am just a bit superstitious about putting this info here because Murphy's Law had hit me last time. I said it was working and after few days it was not. Hopefully I will be spared by it this time around.

How to write cronjob to take daily backup for mysqlCron Jobs Not Running

Hello, I want to take automatically backup from mysql through MySQLDumper, but I am unable to write cronjob code systematically, so please help me, how I fix these problem. Thanx  

-question by Devendra