xisto Community
abartar

Windows XP Folder Encryption Key ? Where is the Windows XP encryption Key saved.

Encrypted Files: Restored!Windows XP Folder Encryption Key ?

In order to recover files (or folders) encrypted through Windows XP Pro's EFS (I cannot confirm this with Windows XP Home or other versions of Windows), you will need to have the Application Data folder applying to the account owning the files (or folders) in question to use this method. This folder contains information that can be used to encrypt and decrypt the files (or folders).

In other words, if you're reinstalling Windows XP Pro and keeping your encrypted folders, be sure to at least back up the Application Data folders for each of the users on your system. This will back up the certificates for each of those users.

Once you have your Application Data folder(s) backed up, download an EFS recovery tool. Advanced EFS Recovery Pro will search for all certificates and encrypted files automatically (though you can direct it to certain locations). It then stores all successfully decrypted files to the target specified by the user.

Hindsight being 50/50, I backed up my Application Data folder to save my Mozilla news and email settings. This act alone saved my hide from the eternal, mocking laughter of Murphy. My files are safe and I am exploring alternate options to protect my data from prying eyes.

Cheers!

-reply by Ron Poulton

compress or encrypt a folder in winxpWindows XP Folder Encryption Key ?

hello to all

please help me I have compressed a folder in winxp then I formated my system now I using to move that folder it is not accessing so please help me how to encrypt that contained folder data

dear user,

YES. If you convert your drives file system to fat32,  it will decrypte your files. you then can copy them to back to an ntfs drive fully.  please note that if you have a windows xp installation that is ntfs. And you convert the installation to a fat32 installation, you WILL NOT beable to convert it back to NTFS.. Got it.. So I owudl have NEW INSTALLATION NTFS  of blank windows xp.. Installed on one drive.. Then take your data drive that has encrypted files on it and convert it to FAT32. You then can hook up the fat32 drive as a secondary and successfully copy your data over.

-regards,

ITT Tech tutor/student. Int netowrking security systems