xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
nickmealey

Flash Movie As Background? - Is it possible?

it

Flash Movie As Background?

You have great idea! To use flash as background... And it's simple to do :) In web everything is possible - don't forget it! So.. Read it and try it..

1. Make flash movie (using Adobe Flash for example <try Swish it's easier>)

2. Then save it as .Swf movie for example mybackground.Swf

3. Download this software "SWF-AVI-GIF Converter" (sorry you must buy it :<)

4. Use it! :D

5. Use your new .Gif file for background!

----

Me? I'm just chillin'

-reply by Veselin

I have an idea:You might use div tag in that tabel cell with realtive positioning, so the div can be placed on the specific flash....It might look like this:

<td><object> //the flash content - with wmode=transparent param sett!....</object><div style="position: relative; top: -50px; left: -30px; z-index: 1000;"><!--divs content--></div></td>

You might use this algorithm in this situation.Please reply if succeeded...

Notice from electriic ink:
Please use CODE tags where applicable.
Edited by electriic ink (see edit history)

FLASH in Background with DIVs on top

Hi all... So all day today I have been searching for answers to this FLASH as a background issue...

Is it possible? YES AND NO

FIRST thing to note... If you want to make it possible for a DIV to appear over top of FLASH, aside from using z-index to layer them properly you also MUST add the WMODE="transparent" or WMODE="opaque" parameter to the flash embed code...

Knowing that it was supposed to be possible I made an ambitious attempt at creating a site that has several Divs on top of Divs on top of Divs all over top of Flash... And well without trying to explain the strange problems I came across - ill show you the link:

Any opinions on why the browser has problems with redraw here greatly appreciated

You can see the site at: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I know its not the cleanest code in the world... But it almost works?!

Desperately looking for solutions here

-reply by mike

No need for that, you can just easily integrate your content as part of the flash animation and background. Also, I discourage that as completely Flash based websites are relatively impractical, and lags most of the time. Not a good choice for sites with heavy content, professional or corporate sites. Its more for design showcase sites. Cheers.

Just wanted to confirm that Mike is correct in positioning links over a Flash movie/app. This is how a lot of us that have MySpace Flash profiles are getting around the whole deal where MySpace disables links from within Flash files.

Set your Flash movie with a WMODE="transparent" and use DIVs with a z-index "higher" than your Flash to position your links. I used to do this myself but decided that links over my Flash apps weren't necessary... I just put a navigational bar below, but using the same technique to place it over the "background" image (which is in a DIV with a lower z-index than my DIV with links).

Take a look at my profile and the source code to see what I mean.

Just a note, having a website made completely in Flash isn't going to be helpful for search engines. It's also going to annoy 2% of internet users...swf's (compiled Flash files) are generally small, as art is done with vector graphics and not bitmaps (unless you put in music, although I suggest that you embed music separately if you wish for such). Animated .gif's are generally quite large from my experience, I'm not sure how compression works but a heap of bitmaps is definitely going to be less efficient than vector graphics.As an example, a 15x15 grid of hexagons (just an example, I don't expect this to be your background) is over ten times larger as a .gif/.png than as a .swf (drawn by maths - just a file I had lying around, and it can draw up to 50x50..). Also, the compression for the .gif makes it look somewhat ugly =.=This balance obviously changes with smaller and more complex images though..

successfully implement the "FLASH in Background with DIVs on top" but face "navigation problem with flash button within DIV"

Hi, Just wanna drop a thanks to iGuest. I've tried your suggestions and it work for me... However another issue arise in 'Internet Explorer' [[works perfectly fine in Firefox]], I have flash buttons (within a Div) for navigation above this flash movie that become not functioning (links as well as the mouseover effects)... It would be great if someone can give me some advice here...

-question by Radiance

Flash Movie As Background? - - Is it possible?Flash Movie As Background?

Here is the link with flash background on top. It's stretchable. 

https://www.sony.co.uk/

I try to find same way to add flash movie as a background image and let table set on top. It's nice for design style.Who know HOW dose it work?

-reply by BGBG

Flash Movie As Background? - - Is it possible?Flash Movie As Background?

yes, it is possible.

the way you do it is through css layers. With css you can specify content to be on different 'layers' and those layers can overlap. so, publish your flash project as per normal, then in the html code of your page,

if you want you can set your flash file's background to transparent, that would be good. Just add a new parameter to the flash object code in your HTML document:<param name = "wmode" value="transparent"/>then again in your embed tag:<embed src="1.Swf" width="500" height="400" quality="high" wmode="transparent">keep in mind that setting your flash movie to transparent requires more video processing power, so users with slower computers may have problems with it. Personally I'd just live with the white box. It would only be there for a fraction of a second (make sure when you publish your flash file you publish it to load "top - down" otherwise the white box will stay there until your entire movie's loaded.ok after that

<div id="layer" style="position:absolute; width:'100%'; height:'100%'; z-index:100; left: 1px; top: 1px"> content goes here including tables, images, all sorts etc </div> Of course, you'd want to publish your flash project with the settings 'exactfit', 100% width and 100% height. To fill the screen completely. And then, to make the flash project extend to the margins of the page change the <body> tag to include these bits: <body topmargin="0" leftmargin="0" rightmargin="0" bottommargin="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0"> the only issue is with mac os 9 or earlier, where you get the content overtop and the flash layer below madly fighting it out. but in newer ver. It's working fine.

-reply by Hardik

yes it can be doneFlash Movie As Background?

Yes of course it can be done :)

I recently did one for a client here ...

http://www.thesquarefestival.com/

It takes the best of both worlds, using a CMS , worpress blog for SEO of content, and then add a little flash for spice ;)

View the source if it helps you figure it out.

Pete http://www.scotche.gg/

Can we have button in this flash?Flash Movie As Background?

Hi iguest,

Really nice effect and I appreciate the fact that you are willing to share. A small question if I may? Do you think we could have buttons that are clickable in this background image? I am interested in using a CMS to ensureeasy content upload for the clients, and at the same have a small flash animation in a corner, which I would like to have clickable spots. Since this animation should appear on all pages, it would be nice if I could use this as the background...Hence my question.

Would appreciate any tips.

Thanks and regards

Jaya

Sure you can - and it's easy too.Download flash bannermaker from magichtml.com, and create a flasbanner i the same size as your pages, and insert it as background. If you create your websites with webplus X4 from Serif.com, you can choose flash as background in the masterpage.No problem.